Statins May Exert Beneficial Effects Through A Pathway Other Than It's Cholesterol Lowering Action

Discussion in 'Articles & Scientific Studies' started by paymanz, Dec 16, 2017.

1. paymanz

paymanz Member

Was surprised when saw a study showing statins have positive effects on bones, did a bit of searching and it turned out that it has some positive action,generally, through inhibiting rho kinase, which also is protective against heart disease.

Im not promoting statin use at all(for obvious reasons,q10,cholesterol) , but there is other natural rho kinase inhibitors like vitamin d,taurine and maybe other substances , i will post some studies on this subject here.

Im not sure what ray thinks about inhibiting rho kinase but many peat friendly stuff inhibit this, seems peaty but im curious to know his view ,and also more studies.

Effects of Randomized Rosuvastatin Compared to Placebo on Bone and Body Composition among HIV-Infected Adults
    Pitavastatin enhanced BMP-2 and osteocalcin expression by inhibition of Rho-associated kinase in human osteoblasts. - PubMed - NCBI
    Rho-associated protein kinase - Wikipedia
    Its a mediator of histamin actions
    RhoA and ROCK mediate histamine-induced vascular leakage and anaphylactic shock

It may involve in erectile dysfunction
    Understanding and targeting the Rho kinase pathway in erectile dysfunction

Statins Inhibit Rho Kinase Activity in Patients with Atherosclerosis
    -------------------------------

Chronic treatment with taurine ameliorates diabetes-induced dysfunction of nitric oxide-mediated neurogenic and endothelium-dependent corpus cavern... - PubMed - NCBI
    Antenatal taurine improves neuronal regeneration in fetal rats with intrauterine growth restriction by inhibiting the Rho-ROCK signal pathway. - PubMed - NCBI
    The vitamin D receptor agonist elocalcitol upregulates L-type calcium channel activity in human and rat bladder. - PubMed - NCBI

-------------
    One interesting stuff, 1,25ohd3 ,the active form of d3 apparently activates rho kinase, so its another reason for having decent calcium intake , as it lowers conversion of 25oh to 1,25oh.
    ---------

Aspirin
    Salicylates dilate blood vessels through inhibiting PYK2-mediated RhoA/Rho-kinase activation

I will probably update this post and add more stuff if i found more...

------------

Rho kinase and depression
    The ROCK inhibitor Fasudil prevents chronic restraint stress-induced depressive-like behaviors and dendritic spine loss in rat hippocampus — University Andrés Bello

2. AMK

AMK New Member

Hi Paymanz, this is interesting to me because I am trying to treat my connective tissue disorder, and the enzyme that is causing me trouble is the same one that statins inhibit. It is a defect in cholesterol synthesis. Long story. But in short, I see that you have some experience or knowledge of benfotiamine and manganese.I am looking for ideas on a starting dose of manganese and benfotiamine (antagonising each other as they do, if body ratio is wrong).
    Do you mind me asking if you take Benfothiamine and manganese and if so, what dose and how you got there?
    Cheers, AngelA

3. OP
    paymanz

paymanz Member

Hi @AMK

I never used benfotiamine ,just normal thiamine. But maybe benfotiamine is better ,i dont know.

I took manganese up to 50mg a day for some periods but i dont think high dose like that is necessary, lower doses like 5-10 mg if taken everyday is enough to correct a deficiency.

Also took high doses thiamine hcl for some periods with good results.but again i dont think high doses in long term is good idea.

Best way for both manganese and thiamin is to monitor how your body reacts to it , your energy level especially.

We need 3-5 mg of manganese a day ,and phytates can block its absorption.

Vitamin k is also a cofactor for Mn.

Sometimes low dose of tetracyclines like doxycycline can help to improve connective tissue problems, because they are anti-inflammatory, search forum for them you can find some good info.

4. AMK

AMK New Member

Many thanks Paymanz.
    Can I ask what dose of thiamine hCl you took and did you go down or off it.....because your condition cleared up?
    Angela

5. OP
    paymanz

paymanz Member

I think it was around 1500-2000mg a day , after a while its effects wasnt as strong as the beginning of supplementation,they are a bit expensive and also i dont think its normal to get hundreds time more than required amount of a vitamin for long time. So i stopped.
    And yes my energy level is better than that time.

6. AMK

AMK New Member

Yes I think that even though it is a water soluble vitamin, you can still take too much of it (and relative to other vitamins).
    That whole area of dosing of Vitamins is so difficult.

What is the dose you currently take? That you stabilised on.

(I want to take more THCL than they give you in the standard multivitamin from the shop. Just asking others what they take so that I can find a range to experiment it)?

7. OP
    paymanz

paymanz Member

Currently ,some days i take no supplement at all , some days just a normal standard DRI dosage of b complex multivitamin.

Start with a dosage and judge it by how it effects you.