So... you guys drink milk... BY ITSELF?

Kenobi

tara said:
I just found some milk that tastes so good I don't want to add anything to it. It tastes like it used to when I was a kid building myself out of milk. For the first time since I was a teenager I'm wanting to drink straight milk and finding it really satisfying. I've tried lots of brands over the last year, low fat, medium fat, homogenised, unhomogenised, mostly pasturised but one batch of raw too. They all tasted better with coffee or cocoa or oysters or something in them. I don't know if the difference is intrinsic to the milk or if it is something about the processing.
Its over 3% fat, pasturised, homogenised A2.
Reinforces for me that it is worth trying different kinds of milk - you may find some you like.
Wait, oysters? You're kidding, right?

tara

Kenobi said:
Wait, oysters? You're kidding, right?
No, that's how I usually eat oysters: chop, quick fry in butter, add liquor, add milk till hot. I really like this. I'm a bit cautious about pathological microorganisms in oysters, otherwise I'd eat them raw. There are much tastier oyster soup recipes than this, but I don't think there are any quicker ones.

natedawggh

Where are you from? China? Most cultures around the world have been drinking goats or cows milk for millennia. I grew up in the mountain west and we drank milk all the time. Do you regard ice cream with such disdain? Because that's just sweetened milk that's been frozen.

We are afraid of drinking straight milk (in public too, blasphemy) just like of walking barefooted, of going out without makeup or deodorant, walking in the rain without an umbrella, asking questions in a large lecture, taking the bus, driving on streets and drives instead of highways... What else? A change is in order.

lindsay

My preference is for cheese or other dairy products, more than milk itself. However, I do enjoy a few oz. in each cup of coffee with some sugar. I could drink coffee all day like this :)

But a good gouda kicks milk in the pants any day, in so much as taste and pleasure (I've never really liked milk, truth be told). I never jumped on board the whole drinking liters of milk per day, but I can easily eat 4 oz. of cheese (which has the same amount of protein).

robertf

Here's my .03 about milk:

I grew up drinking pasteurized homogenized milk like most non-farm people. I think a lot of it is still in my intestines 40 years later.

I did raw milk for about 5-6 years. I had been off dairy for a long time when I started and it was great to drink milk with relatively few problems. The guy that got me into raw milk said that the more toxic you are with stored pasteurized/homogenized milk, the more problems you will have with raw milk since the bacteria and enzymes will detoxify the toxic stored waste. I think he was correct. So the advice was to start slow and always take a good amount of fat with it to help move the waste out.

I will guess that if you do fine with raw milk from the get go that your intestines are probably not so much of a mess.

After about 5 years, raw milk started tasting gross to me so I stopped, but I did miss the benefits.

Years later I was talking about milk with some ayurvedic doctors. They always recommend boiling milk. The first choice is boiled raw milk then boiled pasteurized milk. Homogenized milk is not on their radar at all - too toxic.

I was shocked that simply boiling pasteurized milk made it trouble free for me. No digestive problems at all.

I still have osteoporitic symptoms in my illness so I have not ruled out yet that boiling isn't causing other problems that aren't so obvious. Often the ayurvedic people recommend spicing boiled milk with ginger or cardamom to help digest it further. And something I learned recently is the hard core ayurvedic people do not add sweeteners to milk as it can cause problems in sensitive people.

A particularly bad combination according to ayurveda is banana and milk. Less bad would be fruit mixed with milk.

I was previously doing fruit milkshakes and thought there were no problems, but I then tried doing milk plain vs with fruit and there was a difference in my breath - the latter would produce no bad breath, the former some but not terrible.

robertf said:
Here's my .03 about milk:

I grew up drinking pasteurized homogenized milk like most non-farm people. I think a lot of it is still in my intestines 40 years later.

I did raw milk for about 5-6 years. I had been off dairy for a long time when I started and it was great to drink milk with relatively few problems. The guy that got me into raw milk said that the more toxic you are with stored pasteurized/homogenized milk, the more problems you will have with raw milk since the bacteria and enzymes will detoxify the toxic stored waste. I think he was correct. So the advice was to start slow and always take a good amount of fat with it to help move the waste out.

I will guess that if you do fine with raw milk from the get go that your intestines are probably not so much of a mess.

After about 5 years, raw milk started tasting gross to me so I stopped, but I did miss the benefits.

Years later I was talking about milk with some ayurvedic doctors. They always recommend boiling milk. The first choice is boiled raw milk then boiled pasteurized milk. Homogenized milk is not on their radar at all - too toxic.

I was shocked that simply boiling pasteurized milk made it trouble free for me. No digestive problems at all.

I still have osteoporitic symptoms in my illness so I have not ruled out yet that boiling isn't causing other problems that aren't so obvious. Often the ayurvedic people recommend spicing boiled milk with ginger or cardamom to help digest it further. And something I learned recently is the hard core ayurvedic people do not add sweeteners to milk as it can cause problems in sensitive people.

A particularly bad combination according to ayurveda is banana and milk. Less bad would be fruit mixed with milk.

I was previously doing fruit milkshakes and thought there were no problems, but I then tried doing milk plain vs with fruit and there was a difference in my breath - the latter would produce no bad breath, the former some but not terrible.

That is interesting, I have indeed noticed banana milkshake or ice cream is not ideal.

lindsay

robertf said:

That is super interesting because I get locally sourced raw milk and if I drank it cold, I sometimes experienced slight histamine reactions (mainly stuffy nose), but I tend to prefer milk heated up a bit with honey & salt (because plain milk is kind of blah to me), and when I heated the milk I didn't get the histamine reactions and it wasn't hot enough to kill beneficial bacteria.

But the whole thing about the banana and milk - unless I cooked the banana in the milk and then made a smoothie, it was bad news. I have since given up on bananas - who needs them anyhow.

robertf

Well another interesting thing in ayurveda is milk should not be salted. Cheese yes, yogurt yes, butter yes, not milk.

Also heating honey is considered toxic, honey should always be raw.

Some of these things you probably won't feel if you are not very ill but they have their reasons.

Another thing I was going to mention was the similarity between Ray's view about fermented dairy and ayurveda. In ayurveda dairy should never be fermented longer than a few hours. Storebought yogurt is not considered healthy, nor kefir, sour cream, etc. You don't find this in the oceans of western ayurvedic web sites (all repeating vasant lad apparently)

The banana thing was a revelation to me too because I basically lived on milk, cereal and banana all through high school and a good part of college.

Even more interesting is some of this also applies to water. Boiling water makes it more assimilable somehow and it is used for gentle cleansing of microchannels.

lindsay

robertf said:
Also heating honey is considered toxic, honey should always be raw.

What about stirring honey into a hot liquid - like tea or milk? I love raw honey, but that's usually how I use it - in warm liquids.

Also, the note about yogurt is interesting. How would you ferment something for only a few hours? Yogurt doesn't always agree with me, but I like it occasionally.

BingDing

Interesting about not fermenting milk for more than a few hours. Are there foods or recipes along that line?

Not salting milk works for me, I tried it once and thought it was a waste of good milk.

tara

lindsay said:
Also, the note about yogurt is interesting. How would you ferment something for only a few hours? Yogurt doesn't always agree with me, but I like it occasionally.

BingDing said:
Interesting about not fermenting milk for more than a few hours. Are there foods or recipes along that line.

If you make your own yogurt (and sour cream - yum!), you can ferment it as long as you like.
Heat fresh milk, let it cool to c.40%, add a spoonful of yogurt with the bugs you want in it (eg live commercial yogurt), and keep it warm for a few hours. I used to make my own, and it tasted best to me when it was still warm, just curdled but not separated, after maybe 10hrs.

dukez07

dukez07 said:
dukez07 said:
Such_Saturation said:
I have sympathy for you if you are still tied to others' judgement of your own life choices. Other than that, Parmesan has more advanced glycation end products than a Big Mac or pizza.

Was that comment aimed at me? I gave an honest account of how milk doesn't work for me. Nothing wrong with that. And the points I bring forward about the social side of it, are actually perfectly valid.

You are quite right to say 'Well, I don't give two f***s'. And guess what. I do the same, every f***ing day. Because I follow this f***ing diet just like you do. So f*** you with your waspy comments.

And if cheese has more AGEs than a big mac or a pizza, put that forward to Dr Peat. Good find!

If AGE's bother you that much, perhaps embark on a raw food diet or something. You can wash it down with all that red bull you drink.

dukez07 said:
dukez07 said:
Such_Saturation said:
I have sympathy for you if you are still tied to others' judgement of your own life choices. Other than that, Parmesan has more advanced glycation end products than a Big Mac or pizza.

Was that comment aimed at me? I gave an honest account of how milk doesn't work for me. Nothing wrong with that. And the points I bring forward about the social side of it, are actually perfectly valid.

You are quite right to say 'Well, I don't give two f***s'. And guess what. I do the same, every f***ing day. Because I follow this f***ing diet just like you do. So f*** you with your waspy comments.

And if cheese has more AGEs than a big mac or a pizza, put that forward to Dr Peat. Good find!

If AGE's bother you that much, perhaps embark on a raw food diet or something. You can wash it down with all that red bull you drink.

No no, I was trying to express relief from a noxious feeling that I know from the past and see all around. I wrote sympathy, not condescension. Sympathy (from the Greek words syn "together" and pathos "feeling" which means "fellow-feeling") Attention facilitates the experience of sympathy, and without giving undivided attention to many situations sympathy cannot be experienced. Distractions severely limit the ability to produce strong affective responses. (from Wikipedia)

Distraction is in fact the best word I can think of when strangers push that "you can't do that" look on you. It is needlessly divisive. It is bull****, for lack of a cleaner word. I am sorry if I was waspy.

Jenn

Oh my goodness...you haven't lived until you've had milk straight from the teat, still warm. Sweet, sweet, sweet! Yes, I drink milk plain all by itself. I chugg it cold, I chugg it warm, i chugg it hot, I chugg it skimmed, I chugg it full cream.

My son does not. He didn't used to be able to digest it, didn't make him feel good. As he recovers from digestion issues, he likes milk a little bit more and more. He probably will never be a chugger, but that's ok, more for me. ;)

SQu

I made yoghurt a few times but found it more sour than commercial yoghurt. Too sour. I made it overnight.
Any idea which has more lactic acid, yoghurt or cottage cheese? I have to have one of these to keep fat free protein up.

tara

sueq said:
I made yoghurt a few times but found it more sour than commercial yoghurt. Too sour. I made it overnight.
My impression was that higher temperature or longer time made it sourer, slightly cooler temperature or shorter time made it milder.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals