So... you guys drink milk... BY ITSELF?

NotSoAlpha

So I hear about Peaters drinking litres of milk a day and all I can think is... WTF? How can you stomach doing that? Does that not make you feel bloated and gross?

It's just... milk is a condiment. Like, you add a bit to tea or coffee. Or in cooking if the recipe calls for it. But drinking it plain, by itself? That's so yuck! To me that is like eating spoonfuls of table sugar by itself, or drinking tomato sauce. Babies drink milk by itself. NOT ADULTS.

This is one area of Peat that I strongly disagree with. It's just... not right.

Am I misunderstanding something? Do you really drink litres of milk by itself? Or are you mixing it with other things? Do you not get bloated and nauseous doing this?

tara

1-2 litres of weak decaf cafe latte per day at the moment for me. It took me a while to work up to that. For a while I was drinking half OJ half milk. That was quite good, too. OJ + cafe latte is not bad either. Unfortunately, I got talked out of drinking milk in my late teens. Up till then I was drinking several glasses a day - probably an important component in my nutrition at the time.

pboy

I usually mix it but sometimes have it plain. No I don't feel bloated and gross, and I didn't really have to work up to it, just had to realize it was better to do it. It matters a whole lot the quality and freshness of the milk...standard commercial milk is gross, and I wouldn't even drink 1 sip of it these days.
Its a little bit lighter initially if you heat it first, but you don't have to.

You can do whatever you want, and believe whatever you want. Its just suggestions and if you vibe with it try it, if you don't understand the principle and have mental hangups then just do whatever you think is best

You do know the opposite of baby is senile, right?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Such_Saturation said:
You do know the opposite of baby is senile, right?

118_I_see_what_you_did_there-s480x360-96988.jpg

schultz

I drink 2-3 litres a day, mostly latte, but sometimes I do drink it by itself. I'm surprised you don't like it. Milk tastes so good without having to do anything to it. Most things people add salt or dressing or cook but milk tastes good unaltered! That says something to me. People like milk so much that they even started eating milk that went "bad" like cheese and yogurt :lol: and eventually started doing it on purpose.

I've never had any bad symptoms from drinking milk.

Cream is more like a condiment than milk. I've never thought of milk as such.

A lot of adult animals would drink milk if given the chance, they just don't have the dexterity and smarts to do so.

What's with people dissing milk? There is like some secret cult of milk bashers...

gretchen

Peat says having milk with fruit is good because of the combination of minerals which lowers stress.

dukez07

I have always struggled with milk, too. It's the amount of bulk it takes up in the stomach, which has always posed problems for me. So easy to get bloated from it. I also don't think that my body finds it that easy to digest the milk. I can drink the same amount of fluid in OJ, and it won't make me feel as uncomfortable.

Another problem, for me, is that milk really exhasberates my issues with salt. My pee goes white. Milk, to my body, isn't balancing at all and seems to leach salt from my body. I get the same effect from OJ, but less so. I need MUCH more salt when quarts of milk are going down.

Then there is the social problem. Nobody talks about it here, but drinking quarts of milk out in public will get you comments/looks/attention. Every time you do it. So, if it doesn't bother you, then no worries. I, myself, know that this diet makes me different from everyone else so, I try to help myself out, as much as I can. Maybe take a flask for that milk? Keep it cooled. Here in the UK, milk is associated with 'cups of tea'. And we drink ***t loads of tea. So chugging on the milk carton will get you attention, whether you like it or not.

Lastly, I personally notice that I need a LOT of sugar to deal with milk. Like, many, many tablespoons. I think the ratio of sugar to protein is more exteme with dairy, than what it is with meat.

Don't get me wrong, I do respect milk. I can see the benefits that it has on paper. Maybe in time, I might be able to tolerate it better.

I find cheese far more pleasant to eat. It's dry, packed with nutrition, it's salty and it's more conveneient to take around with you. But, to me, all cheese is junk other than a decent brand of parmigiano reggiano (which actually has depth of flavour). I will eat at least 2-300g of cheese each day. The downside to cheese is its extremely high fat content. Fat is nowhere near as metabolically enhancing as sugar. I notice less energy on a high fat diet.

BingDing

I didn't realize it until this morning but I almost never drink milk alone. My usual coffee dairy is 1 oz half and half and 7 oz whole milk, nuked for two minutes. There was a little left over this morning so I drank it straight, and it was a bit weird. Other than in coffee always with fruit juice or at least some fructose, or an occasional ice cream float with straight milk.

I have sympathy for you if you are still tied to others' judgement of your own life choices. Other than that, Parmesan has more advanced glycation end products than a Big Mac or pizza.

pboy

yea man, you gotta get used to that. Youre gonna stand out once your more boss than other people...if you are. You don't have to do it on purpose or flaunt of course, and actually most people will leave you alone if your comfortable doing what you do...its only when you look awkard they might look, and even then...its whatever, I mean you aren't doing anything weird in reality. Could you not explain why you were doing it if someone asked you?

It's easier to imagine someone openly criticizing you for this or that choice. Most times they would immediately feel stupid.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Such_Saturation said:
I have sympathy for you if you are still tied to others' judgement of your own life choices.

Its a form of self imprisonment.

Myself, I love to bring out my big glass jar of milk with sugar and salt. Let them look. :P Me feel bad for eating right? :lol: While they are probably on their way to corner PUFA pusher. No thanks! :cool:

I have always loved milk, since a little kid. I would go through many gallons of milk, and much orange juice too. I also was in love with apple juice, when I drank apple juice it was like getting something quenched that nothing else could.

This is each day. Glass on a granite paving, are you kidding? The thrill is intense.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,262

Green

Such_Saturation said:
I have sympathy for you if you are still tied to others' judgement of your own life choices.

It's not easy to do some things that are and feel natural but aren't morally accepted.

Charlie said:
Its a form of self imprisonment.

Myself, I love to bring out my big glass jar of milk with sugar and salt. Let them look. :P Me feel bad for eating right? :lol: While they are probably on their way to corner PUFA pusher. No thanks! :cool:

I have always loved milk, since a little kid. I would go through many gallons of milk, and much orange juice too. I also was in love with apple juice, when I drank apple juice it was like getting something quenched that nothing else could.

I bring out that same big glass jar and listen to my coworker tell me to watch my cholesterol when I am drinking so much milk.

Green said:
That "milch" seems promising @Such_Saturation

It really delivers! Kind of gets on the watery side in the spring but I guess that is what grass gets you. Homogenizing it with a blender largely solves that problem.

Poppyseed13

I had to laugh when I saw this. I drink milk ---all by it self. It's been wonderful to taste it again after decades of abstaining from it. I have it in coffee, in cereal, and a large glass before bed with a lot of gelatin---sends me right to sleep and helps me stay asleep.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

tara

I just found some milk that tastes so good I don't want to add anything to it. It tastes like it used to when I was a kid building myself out of milk. For the first time since I was a teenager I'm wanting to drink straight milk and finding it really satisfying. I've tried lots of brands over the last year, low fat, medium fat, homogenised, unhomogenised, mostly pasturised but one batch of raw too. They all tasted better with coffee or cocoa or oysters or something in them. I don't know if the difference is intrinsic to the milk or if it is something about the processing.
Its over 3% fat, pasturised, homogenised A2.
Reinforces for me that it is worth trying different kinds of milk - you may find some you like.

tara said:
I just found some milk that tastes so good I don't want to add anything to it. It tastes like it used to when I was a kid building myself out of milk. For the first time since I was a teenager I'm wanting to drink straight milk and finding it really satisfying. I've tried lots of brands over the last year, low fat, medium fat, homogenised, unhomogenised, mostly pasturised but one batch of raw too. They all tasted better with coffee or cocoa or oysters or something in them. I don't know if the difference is intrinsic to the milk or if it is something about the processing.
Its over 3% fat, pasturised, homogenised A2.
Reinforces for me that it is worth trying different kinds of milk - you may find some you like.

Unfortunately until people realize this, they will be stuck in a diet loop. There is only a finite number of times that Ray Peat can answer their emails with "try milk, orange juice, sugar" before they quit or start improvising. What makes it worse is that for someone very sick it could take even longer to get returns from dairy, and it could be even easier to be bothered by bad dairy, as compared to the quick relief gotten from more deceiving foods such as starches and meats.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals