Seven days of supplementing Urea at 60g per day

tankasnowgod

Urea is one of the more interesting supplements in the Peat world. I am constantly turned off (or outright disgusted) by the taste, always intrigued by the promise, and see some benefits from taking larger doses.

Over the past week, I decided to do a course of Urea, averaging about 60g a day (sometimes a little more, up to 70g) and do that for at least a week, maybe going up to 10 days. Courses of urea are very common in the studies I've seen, with people using higher doses (60 or 90g a day) only doing about 5-7 days at a time. Well, I have finished day 7, and I decided the course is over, but wanted to detail some of the positives (and negatives), and maybe help others figure out how best to use this bizarre substance that Peat speaks very highly of.

First, the positives.... It really seemed to help in healing minor long term issues. I had a feeling that one of my gums had been receding for about a month or so, and within a couple days of the Urea course, it seemed to be totally better. Also, many minor aches and pains have gone away in the past week. My muscles feel fuller, and more "jacked." I had noticed previously that taking Urea after a workout that would normally lead to DOMS would either completely prevent it, or improve any soreness within hours if it had already set in (this seemed achievable with 30g).

Next, the negatives...... over the course of the week, it seems to get harder and harder to stomach. Part of the reason that I ended the course today is that a feeling of nausea was starting to set in. To be fair, I have heard that the same can happen when taking in a similar amount of gelatin over a similar time frame. I also seem to be getting minor headaches. Plus, I will sometimes get the smell of ammonia after drinking about 10-15 grams. I don't know if it's getting converted to ammonia (maybe because of H Pylori or something), or is causing a buildup of ammonia from taking it.

One thing it seems to be great for is providing "bulk nitrogen." In studies where they try to determine "minimum" amount of "essential" amino acids, they will often use Urea as a way to provide nitrogen that would normally come from protein. The other substances I have seen suggested for this purpose are glycine, glutamine, and even diammonium citrate (the last one doesn't sound like a good idea).

This study used Urea supplementation on a low protein diet-

Since only 13.7g of Urea was able to get the body back to "Nitrogen Balance" that otherwise took 40g of protein, it would seem that Urea has 2.9 times the Nitrogen Value of protein. Maybe the Urea is even providing some of the "high protein" benefits directly, as BUN will be higher in anyone consuming a high protein diet. This could be very useful if you were thinking a high protein diet may be beneficial..... 120g protein plus 30g Urea could have the same effect as 200g protein, and that without extra calories, fat, or what have you. It may be more "cost effective" too..... 30g Urea is going to way cheaper than a Porterhouse with 80g of Protein (though seriously less tasty).

Although, could some of the other "bulk nitrogen" substances earlier have similar effects? Urea is a simple compound with 2 NH2 groups. Glutamine also has 2 NH2 groups, but also four more Carbons. Glycine is also a very simple molecule, but only has one NH2 group, and still has an extra carbon.

Peat speaks favorably of glycine, even as an isolated amino acid. Glutamine seems to be generally frowned upon here, but does seem to have a lot of beneficial studies behind it. Hans spoke favorably in this article-

I am going to take some ceylon cinnamon. I think it's possible my ammonia levels could be higher, and maybe that's a good thing to do anyway after a course. Curious as to others thoughts, and if glycine or glutamine could potentially fill some of the "bulk nitrogen" benefits.

@Hans @ecstatichamster @haidut @yerrag @fever257 @Blossom

Last edited:

yerrag

I've been taking urea for at 30g/daily for the past 12 days. Although it is hard to prove (because the body heals by itself and because I am the experiment and it's impossible to find a clone as a control subject), I'm still hoping that urea intake would help my liver recover from a recent parasitic issue (had me sick for a month) that I suspect to be fungal. Because of it my liver enzymes AST/ALT went from the of late usual of 30/30 to 253/149 20 days ago.

About 12 days ago,improved to 139/93 with 2 days of 3x30g of urea which I stopped when it seemed to push my acid base balance over the edge on the alkaline side.

So from 12 days ago to 7 days ago, with daily 30g of urea, the drop in AST/ALT continued to 106/79.

Later on I'll take another test to see how much my enzymes have further droped after another 7 days of daily 30g urea.

My CBC RDW also had dropped during the time span from 15.9 to 15.3 but I don't consider this significant. My CBC Eosinophils have a consistent downward trend as well but I believe it was mainly due to taking anti-parasitics.

At the very least my urea supplementat ion wasn't harmful to my recovery, or so it would appear to be.

I use urea externally on myself and on my cats for wounds. Its debring cleaning action deprives bacteria of food to grow on, and cats take to it well because there is no sting to it unlike with alcohol. I don't have to use hydrogen peroxide to clean up as urea does it well enough as well.

I was hoping the same debris cleaning action can work for internally destroyed tissues from inflammation and oxidation, especially with the liver.

yerrag

Do you know why/how this happens? I am not clear on what is going on. Doesn't the urease associated with the bacteria use the urea to advantage?
Ray didn't go that far in the interview.

Hugh Johnson

I've been drinking half a litre of urine almost daily, that is 25-100 g a day. Depending on the strength of the urine.

Purely positive, through I apparently have a slight smell of beer, which I assume is ammonia.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Urea is one of the more interesting supplements in the Peat world. I am constantly turned off (or outright disgusted) by the taste, always intrigued by the promise, and see some benefits from taking larger doses.

Over the past week, I decided to do a course of Urea, averaging about 60g a day (sometimes a little more, up to 70g) and do that for at least a week, maybe going up to 10 days. Courses of urea are very common in the studies I've seen, with people using higher doses (60 or 90g a day) only doing about 5-7 days at a time. Well, I have finished day 7, and I decided the course is over, but wanted to detail some of the positives (and negatives), and maybe help others figure out how best to use this bizarre substance that Peat speaks very highly of.

First, the positives.... It really seemed to help in healing minor long term issues. I had a feeling that one of my gums had been receding for about a month or so, and within a couple days of the Urea course, it seemed to be totally better. Also, many minor aches and pains have gone away in the past week. My muscles feel fuller, and more "jacked." I had noticed previously that taking Urea after a workout that would normally lead to DOMS would either completely prevent it, or improve any soreness within hours if it had already set in (this seemed achievable with 30g).

Next, the negatives...... over the course of the week, it seems to get harder and harder to stomach. Part of the reason that I ended the course today is that a feeling of nausea was starting to set in. To be fair, I have heard that the same can happen when taking in a similar amount of gelatin over a similar time frame. I also seem to be getting minor headaches. Plus, I will sometimes get the smell of ammonia after drinking about 10-15 grams. I don't know if it's getting converted to ammonia (maybe because of H Pylori or something), or is causing a buildup of ammonia from taking it.

One thing it seems to be great for is providing "bulk nitrogen." In studies where they try to determine "minimum" amount of "essential" amino acids, they will often use Urea as a way to provide nitrogen that would normally come from protein. The other substances I have seen suggested for this purpose are glycine, glutamine, and even diammonium citrate (the last one doesn't sound like a good idea).

Since only 13.7g of Urea was able to get the body back to "Nitrogen Balance" that otherwise took 40g of protein, it would seem that Urea has 2.9 times the Nitrogen Value of protein. Maybe the Urea is even providing some of the "high protein" benefits directly, as BUN will be higher in anyone consuming a high protein diet. This could be very useful if you were thinking a high protein diet may be beneficial..... 120g protein plus 30g Urea could have the same effect as 200g protein, and that without extra calories, fat, or what have you. It may be more "cost effective" too..... 30g Urea is going to way cheaper than a Porterhouse with 80g of Protein (though seriously less tasty).

Although, could some of the other "bulk nitrogen" substances earlier have similar effects? Urea is a simple compound with 2 NH2 groups. Glutamine also has 2 NH2 groups, but also four more Carbons. Glycine is also a very simple molecule, but only has one NH2 group, and still has an extra carbon.

Peat speaks favorably of glycine, even as an isolated amino acid. Glutamine seems to be generally frowned upon here, but does seem to have a lot of beneficial studies behind it. Hans spoke favorably in this article-

I am going to take some ceylon cinnamon. I think it's possible my ammonia levels could be higher, and maybe that's a good thing to do anyway after a course. Curious as to others thoughts, and if glycine or glutamine could potentially fill some of the "bulk nitrogen" benefits.

Interesting experiment. How much protein are you currently eating? Gelatin is also great and much better than isolated amino acids. There are many different amino acids you can try out, but it would get expensive for sure. But I'd definitely prefer real food vs a supplement, since with food you get peptides, vitamins, minerals, etc.

TheSir

Do you just pee in a glass and drink that straight, or does it need to be processed further?

L

Lord Cola

Great post. Could you let us know if the positive effects persist after stopping supplementation?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing your experience @tankasnowgod. I’m about to start an experiment when my order arrives.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing. I think 60g daily may be a bit too much. When urea was used as a treatment for cancer I think the maximum dosage was 12g-15g up to 3 times daily. It is extremely bitter and that may explain the nausea. AFAIK, it cannot and does not raise ammonia. The bonds between the amino groups and the carbonyl group are very strong and cannot be broken down inside the the organism. So much urea may raise blood volume though, and that may also lead to nausea as it has an effect akin to dehydration.

Shackles

I've been drinking half a litre of urine almost daily, that is 25-100 g a day. Depending on the strength of the urine.

Purely positive, through I apparently have a slight smell of beer, which I assume is ammonia.
Or might be yeast unironically enough

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing. I think 60g daily may be a bit too much. When urea was used as a treatment for cancer I think the maximum dosage was 12g-15g up to 3 times daily.
There are studies that have used more, like this one, going up to 90g a day-

But, the courses were short, under a week. I think Peat mentioned up to 120g a day in the interviews with the Herb doctors a while back.

Other studies that did use it longer term (like several months) did seem to be more in the range you suggest. I do agree that 60g seems like too much to do for any length of time. The doses you suggest make more sense. It probably wouldn't even have to be taken everyday, either, maybe just a 3 days a week or so.
It is extremely bitter and that may explain the nausea. AFAIK, it cannot and does not raise ammonia. The bonds between the amino groups and the carbonyl group are very strong and cannot be broken down inside the the organism. So much urea may raise blood volume though, and that may also lead to nausea as it has an effect akin to dehydration.
That makes sense. The above study showed Blood Urea over 12 nmol/L with the 90g course, and that seemed to happen after 2-3 days taking that amount. I think that's much higher than bodybuilders on a high protein diet, which tend to be more in the area of 6-8 nmol/L.

yerrag

been taking urea for at 30g/daily for the past 12 days. Although it is hard to prove (because the body heals by itself and because I am the experiment and it's impossible to find a clone as a control subject), I'm still hoping that urea intake would help my liver recover from a recent parasitic issue (had me sick for a month) that I suspect to be fungal. Because of it my liver enzymes AST/ALT went from the of late usual of 30/30 to 253/149 20 days ago.

About 12 days ago,improved to 139/93 with 2 days of 3x30g of urea which I stopped when it seemed to push my acid base balance over the edge on the alkaline side.

So from 12 days ago to 7 days ago, with daily 30g of urea, the drop in AST/ALT continued to 106/79.

Later on I'll take another test to see how much my enzymes have further droped after another 7 days of daily 30g urea.
This is short.

Last post ai made was like a boring novel.

Yesterday got my AST/ALT down to

ALT 60
AST 53

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals