More Dietary Salt Increases Urea Synthesis And Energy Requirements

Mauritio

In regards to the potential cortisol issue, I found this study on Salt Loading that measured both plasma cortisol and urine cortisol metabolites during a week of higher salt loading, in both normal and salt sensitive individuals- Salt Loading Affects Cortisol Metabolism in Normotensive Subjects: Relationships with Salt Sensitivity

It seems this study found that plasma cortisol was lowered in normal individuals. The higher amount of urinary cortisol metabolites would be the body eliminating excess cortisol-

" This study clearly demonstrates changes in cortisol metabolism in response to dietary sodium in normotensive subjects. Interestingly, the sum of urinary cortisol metabolites, which can be considered as an estimate of cortisol elimination, was on average increased in sr, but decreased in ss subjects after salt loading. Likewise, the excretion of UFF, UFE, and each of the individual cortisol metabolites (THF, allo-THF, and THE) was higher after salt loading in sr subjects but was unaltered or lower in ss subjects. Of note, these changes in cortisol metabolite excretion after salt loading were accompanied by a decrease in plasma cortisol concentration, particularly in sr individuals. Taken together, it can be envisaged from these data that salt loading induces an increase in cortisol elimination and hence a decrease in circulating cortisol in sr subjects, whereas these effects of salt loading on cortisol metabolism are blunted in ss individuals."

"In agreement with a primary enhancing effect of sodium loading on cortisol elimination, the changes in plasma cortisol were negatively correlated with the changes in urinary cortisol metabolite excretion in the whole group. In ss subjects, the change in plasma cortisol was not significant, whereas urinary cortisol metabolite excretion tended to decrease. In this respect, the aforementioned inverse relationship between the sum of cortisol metabolites and the percentage change in plasma cortisol is of relevance. It suggests that the reciprocal relationship between changes in urinary cortisol metabolite excretion and plasma cortisol can be regarded as a continuum rather than as a qualitatively different response to salt loading in ss subjects."

So it seems that in most individuals, increased salt intake would tend to lower plasma cortisol. Caution might be warranted in individuals with known salt sensitivities, and also to be sure to be getting enough sugar to meet increased metabolic demands when consuming extra salt.

As you can see from the study, plasma aldosterone was absolutely crushed in both groups after one week of salt loading.
In addition to that it has been shown in animals that high salt supplementation almost doubles testosterone, which is highly anti-cortisol.

High Salt Diet In Rats Almost Doubles Testosterone Levels, But

JAM123

if high salt increases the energy requirements

could this lead to low blood sugar and consequently to higher cortisol?
This was my experience. In trying to eat healthier I had inadvertently cut a lot of sodium out of my diet. It was never something I had much of a craving for. Ive struggled with high serotonin symptoms after SSRI use years ago. It shows itself through IBS symptoms, some psoriasis, weight gain, and a general dulling of the senses. I have tried several options to deal with this-Benadryl, famotadine, dopamine raising supplements, lysine, etc. I tried upping my salt intake to deal with high adrenaline symptoms, and was surprised at how well it affected serotonin. Other things I had tried worked to lower serotonin, but for some reason salt creates a better overall harmony. I can honestly say nothing has worked better regarding libido than salt. Be careful though, my threshold for it hit me like a ton of bricks. After having no issues for the first few days, I had the most intense hunger I have ever had which caused a scary drop in blood sugar. Right after that I think my serotonin levels went too low, I had a nasty case of apathy and depression. I had a similar experience using lysine. If you try this and you start getting uncontrollably hungry, back off. Don’t think “I have to have x amount of salt per day.” It also works better for me taking it with food, mixing salt with water and not having food at the same time speeds up the blood sugar drop. It did take some adjusting to after eating low sodium for so many years, but that passes after several weeks. Drinking extra water helps balance things out if it gets too intense. My approach going forward is going to be to use the least amount necessary to see results, which right now seems to be a a little more than a teaspoon per day.

rei

However, the high cortisol release is potentially bothersome and may explain some negative effects of higher salt intake in sick people,
I think this is a transient effect as the body is kicked towards a higher metabolic state, it will cause stress. If the nutrients are not available otherwise it will come from breaking down existing tissue.

David90

I don't think 10g is that much. Up until the early 1960s the average salt intake for an adult in the US was about 12g-15g daily. These days, with everything being made "low sodium" by default, those 10g probably bring you closer to normality and not anywhere in danger-zone. But I think salt should be eaten to taste, not so much based on set daily goals.
10-12g is my personal Daily Amount of Salt. Mostly i salt to taste BUT i also put some extra Salt in my Coffee or Gelatin Evening Drink.

Also Interesting is, on one time where i was slightly sick (Back in November 2020, Flu-Like Symptoms) when i have made a blood Test.
Interesting Thing was, that my Sodium Levels came back LOW (due to illness) despite using this much Salt Daily like mentioned above. This maybe correlates with a needed Higher Salt Intake when being Sick ???

Mathgirl

So with all this talk about salt, why would I be craving milk following a pizza dinner....full from dinner but I can crave 3-12oz glasses of milk afterewards. This is good quality scratch pizza with a self rising dourdough crust. Any thoughts?

DonLore

So with all this talk about salt, why would I be craving milk following a pizza dinner....full from dinner but I can crave 3-12oz glasses of milk afterewards. This is good quality scratch pizza with a self rising dourdough crust. Any thoughts?
Eating salty starch meal and you get thirsty for milk? I think that is pretty self explanatory

ThinPicking

Ms Mathgirl it may be possible for you to resist some of the compulsion for fluid of any kind. If you do that for a few meals you may retain more fluid (not the "unhealthy", edematic, transcellular kind of retention) and feel less drawn to consumption in response to osmotic stimulus.

It may be worth some self experimentation. If you have very sensitive scales, particularly those with impedance reading, you can track what's going on beside your sensation of it.

Ideonaut

Ray recommends clean white salt. No iodine. So the old fashioned table salt is fine as long as there is no iodine. Sea salt if it is white and non-iodized works well too.
I know somewhere Peat said gray sea salt has heavy metals in it so you should eat white salt.

David PS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals