Urea Shampoo = Instant Hair Shedding And Dry Hair

SOMO

I have a few bumps on my scalp from various injuries throughout life. Nothing visible but it bothers me when I touch my head or comb my hair.

RP stayed that urea might be good for scars, so I got some urea shampoo. But I didn’t understand that the mechanism by which urea heals scars is that it dissolves keratin - the main protein found in hair and nails.

We developed a rapid and convenient extraction procedure of human hair proteins to examine their biochemical properties in detail. This procedure is based upon the fact that the combination of thiourea and urea in the presence of a reductant can effectively remove proteins from the cortex part of human hair.[\b] The extracted fraction mainly consisted of hard alpha-keratins with molecular masses of 40-60 kDa, matrix proteins

A rapid extraction procedure of human hair proteins and identification of phosphorylated species. - PubMed - NCBI

So I put on this brand of urea shampoo in the shower, let it soak 3 minutes while I washed the rest of my body and then washed my hair off. When I dried my hair I noticed it was very frizzy and there was little bits of hair flying everywhere almost as if they were burned off. It also dried my hair out significantly and made it unpleasant to the touch and gave it the appearance of hay.

https://www.amazon.com/Sebamed-Extr...o&qid=1560426572&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

I’m now wondering if internal use of Urea can also cause hair loss.

Last edited:

EIRE24

Urea should help retain moisture in the scalp, I dont think it should make hair shed more. Weird that this is what you experienced?

OP
SOMO

SOMO

Urea should help retain moisture in the scalp, I dont think it should make hair shed more. Weird that this is what you experienced?

I think moisturizing the scalp is beneficial, but I don't think it will prevent hair loss.

When my hair was shedding the most, I used to do weekly oil treatments (coconut/olive oil) and although it helps moisturize the hair and scalp it definitely did not do anything for actual hair loss.

Trambak

I make my own "urea schampoo": a couple of tablespoons of water, half a tsp of baking soda and a tsp of urea. Never experienced any problem. (I added urea to the baking soda to get hair and beard more soft and with more volume. Also feels nice for the scalp.) No extra shedding or anything.

EIRE24

I think moisturizing the scalp is beneficial, but I don't think it will prevent hair loss.

When my hair was shedding the most, I used to do weekly oil treatments (coconut/olive oil) and although it helps moisturize the hair and scalp it definitely did not do anything for actual hair loss.
What do you think the mechanisms behind the shedding increasing was then with the urea?

OP
SOMO

SOMO

What do you think the mechanisms behind the shedding increasing was then with the urea?

I posted the relevant study in the opening post.

It dissolves keratin.

Keratin is found in the hair (including the base of the hair) and so it can “snip” or cleave the hair off by dissolving keratin.

YUPEATER

I make my own "urea schampoo": a couple of tablespoons of water, half a tsp of baking soda and a tsp of urea. Never experienced any problem. (I added urea to the baking soda to get hair and beard more soft and with more volume. Also feels nice for the scalp.) No extra shedding or anything.

Where are you using it for Trambak? Does it, by any chance, improve hair thickness and growth?

ken

I think urea is the secret ingredient in Nair, which is used for removing unwanted hair.

Sheik

I think VOS suggested urea as a treatment for hairloss. Not sure how much that adds to the conversation.

Trambak

Where are you using it for Trambak? Does it, by any chance, improve hair thickness and growth?
I just thought it would be a good idea to add urea to my baking soda hairwash, but SOMOs post has made me reconsider it actually. (I had no shedding problems with it short term, but who knows about long term...)

What I use since a couple of months is just some magnesium bicarbonate water in the hair/on the scalp before rinsing. I had started to make magnesium bicarbonate water as my magnesiums supplement anyway. Just an added application! For me it works perfectly.

rei

I just thought it would be a good idea to add urea to my baking soda hairwash, but SOMOs post has made me reconsider it actually. (I had no shedding problems with it short term, but who knows about long term...)

What I use since a couple of months is just some magnesium bicarbonate water in the hair/on the scalp before rinsing. I had started to make magnesium bicarbonate water as my magnesiums supplement anyway. Just an added application! For me it works perfectly.
That's just a silly attitude. You are making a decisive judgement based on flimsy speculation. When the alternative would be to try it out and know. It's not like there would be a risk from trying, no-one is saying that urea would make the hair loss problem worse, but that it might damage the hair physically and maybe make it fall out. Even if it makes the skin/hair follicles better.

nad

I posted the relevant study in the opening post.

It dissolves keratin.

Keratin is found in the hair (including the base of the hair) and so it can “snip” or cleave the hair off by dissolving keratin.
IDK if you found the answer, but IMO and experience, urea dissolves probably 'dead', dry keratin.
The study used probably 'dead' isolated human hair . ''wool, chicken feathers, rat hair and human nails were used as starting materials.''
I didn't use shampoo (probably will try now),
but I have an ichthyosis -a congenital skin condition that causes the epidermis to become dry and rough like fish scales. Using 20 to 40%urea cream all over the body, it's my only help. The skin hair remain the same (on legs ,unfortunately, too :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals