Omega-3 EPA and DHA may be the solution to "male pattern baldness" / hair loss in men

PaRa

TSH is influenced by many factors and can get supressed by stress hormones. Doctors are very well trained salesmen, but they don't understand much about human physiology. The right way to measure thyroid function is comparing temperature and pulse between waking and after eating.

If your temperature and pulse doesn't rise to 37°C and at least 80 beats after breakfast = hypothyroid

If your pulse or temperature falls after a pro thyroid breakfast (no PUFA oils or beans) = hypothyroid. It means stresshormones are keeping your metabolism up and it's falling after getting real energy and lowering the stress.

When your thyroid is damaged to a certain degree, these things alone will not work in most cases.

if some wants to read it it’s quite long

well, it’s seems that in CF we are Basically pufas deficient and the less pufa we have in our membranes and phospholipid, the worst we get, restoring pufas in membrane helps CFTR transport and helps near all our functions, be it electrolyte, beta cell pancreas, liver, lungs, mucus and hypoxia and all the digestive system (IN HUMANS WHILE GIVING PUFA IN CFTR ANIMAL MODEL SEEMS TO DO NOTHING)

@Hans
@haidut

and when thinking about it, I noticed like 25- 30% VEMS loss these 2 last years, correlating with the low Pufa way of eating

maybe why I’m soooooo satisfied after eating some fatty salmon while sugar, fruits and sat fat and milk just don’t cure my hunger even when dumping 3000 cal a day

otherwise yes, beef, even without salt or starches is warming up a lot, salmon too, fruits and dairies never are, feels like adrenaline rush, even warm milk, salted or what have you

RealNeat

well, it’s seems that in CF we are Basically pufas deficient and the less pufa we have in our membranes and phospholipid, the worst we get, restoring pufas in membrane helps CFTR transport and helps near all our functions, be it electrolyte, beta cell pancreas, liver, lungs, mucus and hypoxia and all the digestive system (IN HUMANS WHILE GIVING PUFA IN CFTR ANIMAL MODEL SEEMS TO DO NOTHING)

@Hans
@haidut

and when thinking about it, I noticed like 25- 30% VEMS loss these 2 last years, correlating with the low Pufa way of eating

maybe why I’m soooooo satisfied after eating some fatty salmon while sugar, fruits and sat fat and milk just don’t cure my hunger even when dumping 3000 cal a day

otherwise yes, beef, even without salt or starches is warming up a lot, salmon too, fruits and dairies never are, feels like adrenaline rush, even warm milk, salted or what have you
Check out the late @Travis posts on so called EFAs... even if you were to need them in some way the dose is so small that salmon is overkill for PUFAs. I'm not saying don't eat salmon, I eat salmon, but not often. Beef and other land animals are rich enough in the so called EFAs. I also suggest you read all of Peat's material on the "cell membrane" and how it doesn't exist. Carbon dioxide seems to be the main catalyst for structural integrity of the cell and its regulatory electrolytes, so EFA emphasis is not really the solution.

PaRa

Check out the late @Travis posts on so called EFAs... even if you were to need them in some way the dose is so small that salmon is overkill for PUFAs. I'm not saying don't eat salmon, I eat salmon, but not often. Beef and other land animals are rich enough in the so called EFAs. I also suggest you read all of Peat's material on the "cell membrane" and how it doesn't exist. Carbon dioxide seems to be the main catalyst for structural integrity of the cell and its regulatory electrolytes, so EFA emphasis is not really the solution.

may be overkill for lambda people but I’m not a lambda people

how Do you explain than pufas supp allow better protein transport and folding, better effectiveness of our CFTR modulator meds and so on ?
maybe I just need to do what is proven to work for us CF people instead of pushing the low pufa thing that is associated with the worst outcomes and the lowest medication effectiveness in CF patients no ?

im aware of Travis posts and he agrees that EFAs is a real thing, although people don’t need to down 50g of oil a day to get them
but what if I just don’t get as much of these efa than lambda given the same intake ? What if I need a lot more ?

tyw posts on endotoxinemia and fatty acids goes in Favo of pufa, not SFA too

i need to go more in depth with the cell membrane concept and all but well, if it doesn’t exist cystic fibrosis with defective transmebrane chlore channel would have like not much deleterious effect
I can say that high dose B1 and carbs is relaxing (high CO2) but it doesn’t change my dietary salt need at all, I need like 20-40g a day of sodium chloride, I just go to taste and when it makes me gag I stop salting my food lol
if co2 was what allow salt to go in my cells B1 would reduce a lot my salt need, fact is that it doesn’t at all

PaRa

Will go with lot of eggs and salmon and will report, high cholesterol and higher pufa seems to be what I need, while getting plenty of nutrients in in the same time

Dr. B

may be overkill for lambda people but I’m not a lambda people

how Do you explain than pufas supp allow better protein transport and folding, better effectiveness of our CFTR modulator meds and so on ?
maybe I just need to do what is proven to work for us CF people instead of pushing the low pufa thing that is associated with the worst outcomes and the lowest medication effectiveness in CF patients no ?

im aware of Travis posts and he agrees that EFAs is a real thing, although people don’t need to down 50g of oil a day to get them
but what if I just don’t get as much of these efa than lambda given the same intake ? What if I need a lot more ?

tyw posts on endotoxinemia and fatty acids goes in Favo of pufa, not SFA too

i need to go more in depth with the cell membrane concept and all but well, if it doesn’t exist cystic fibrosis with defective transmebrane chlore channel would have like not much deleterious effect
I can say that high dose B1 and carbs is relaxing (high CO2) but it doesn’t change my dietary salt need at all, I need like 20-40g a day of sodium chloride, I just go to taste and when it makes me gag I stop salting my food lol
if co2 was what allow salt to go in my cells B1 would reduce a lot my salt need, fact is that it doesn’t at all
what do you mean lambda people? what is that?

Maybe only if you apply high amounts of unbound (free) GLA to your scalp, otherwise a waste of time.

Jam

I don't know about you guys, but as I've developed into a Norwood IV, I've also developed some lipofuscin spots on my scalp during the past few years. I have absolutely no lipofuscin anywhere else, not even the back of my hands. My father also had lipofuscin on his balding scalp, as do a great many other balding men I know. To me this points to iron dysregulation interacting with PUFA+metabolites on the scalp. Anecdotally, since I have been supplementing with potassium iodide, no new lipofuscin has emerged, and my MPB progression has pretty much halted. Iodide is a powerful iron antagonist. I know a few people that keep their hemochromatosis in check with iodide.

GorillaHead

I don't know about you guys, but as I've developed into a Norwood IV, I've also developed some lipofuscin spots on my scalp during the past few years. I have absolutely no lipofuscin anywhere else, not even the back of my hands. My father also had lipofuscin on his balding scalp, as do a great many other balding men I know. To me this points to iron dysregulation interacting with PUFA+metabolites on the scalp. Anecdotally, since I have been supplementing with potassium iodide, no new lipofuscin has emerged, and my MPB progression has pretty much halted. Iodide is a powerful iron antagonist. I know a few people that keep their hemochromatosis in check with iodide.
Very interesting observation

Jam

Darkmortal

Follow up to my previous post on Omega-3s and Peat's flawed perspective on them (they increase dopamine and reduce learned helplessness i.e. high serotonin):

Recent research has found that with regards to male pattern baldness there is an excessive amount of a protein called prostaglandin D2 or PGD2 present in the areas of the scalp affected. Earlier studies carried out in Japan found that Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) effectively reduced/blocked the production of PGD2.

Omega-3s inhibit COX-2 and EPA specifically has been noted to suppress PGD2 in mast cells (immune cells) by competing with arachidonic acid at the COX enzymes and has been noted to suppress PGD2 elsewhere in macrophages.

The researchers looked at all the genes in the scalp samples from five men, comparing the bald parts to the haired parts. They found higher expressions of the gene that produces PGD2 in the bald samples, compared to the spots with hair. With that as a guide, they found in samples of 17 men with hair loss that PGD2 was three times higher in the bald spots than where hair was growing. The scientists then used mice to show that excessive PGD2 decreased follicles.

Previous work has shown that the stem cells that create hair are still intact in bald men. The follicles are also there, though they look smaller and produce thinner, shorter hair. Over time, the hair is so short it no longer passes the surface of the skin.

Men may be able to regrow all their hair if this inhibiting protein is removed.

Background: Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is catalysed by cyclo-oxygenase (COX), as is arachidonic acid, and is a competitive inhibitor of arachidonate metabolism.

Objectives:
We examined the effect of EPA on prostaglandin (PG) D2 generation in the cultured human mast cells with IgE-anti-IgE challenge incubation.

Methods: Cultured human mast cells were incubated with EPA (1 micromol/L) for 20 h, then challenged with anti-IgE incubation after treatment with IgE. At the same time, COX inhibitors were tested to identify COX-1 and COX-2 activity. PGD2 synthetic activity was also assayed in a cell-free homogenate of cultured mast cells with COX inhibitors and EPA. Histamine in the culture medium and in cells was assayed with the HPLC-fluorescent method. PGD2 and PGD3 were assayed with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and the stable isotope dilution method.

Results: Although EPA incubation did not affect histamine release by cultured human mast cells in response to IgE-anti-IgE challenge incubation, it did decrease PGD2 generation by inhibiting the COX-2 pathway. In contrast, in the cell-free homogenate of cultured human mast cells, EPA inhibited both COX-1 and COX-2 activities.

Conclusion: Pre-incubation with EPA primarily affects the COX-2 pathway in cultured human mast cells and reduces PGD2 generation in response to IgE-anti-IgE challenge incubation. These findings suggest that COX-1 and COX-2 have different substrate flow systems in mast cells. They also suggest that endogenous EPA diet supplementation would reduce PGD2 production and could serve as an anti-inflammatory substrate in human mast cells.

View attachment 26559

This 2018 study found that a key source of omega-3s — fish oil — stimulated hair growth in rodents:

"DHA not only increased dermal papilla cells (DPC) proliferation but also upregulated levels of cell cycle-associated proteins such as cyclin D1 and cdc2 p34. These results show that FFO extract and DHA promote hair growth through the anagen-activating pathways in DPC."

The study said they treated the mice topically with omega 3, if anyone wanna try this should it be used as a topical on scalp or by oral consumption?

dreamcatcher

@Hans
@haidut

Just an observation, though it might not be related. Most girls with floor length hair (on Instagram) supplement with Omega 3 fish oil. Many also recommend flax seed oil for hair growth (as scalp treatment).

RealNeat

Just an observation, though it might not be related. Most girls with floor length hair (on Instagram) supplement with Omega 3 fish oil. Many also recommend flax seed oil for hair growth (as scalp treatment).
They probably already had that hair, hence why they are influencers, selling supplements to their fan base to make a quick buck. The profit margin of fish oil is quite good.

RealNeat

Biden has this scalp only lipofuscin, pay attention the next time you see him on camera, unless all of his facial lipofuscin is covered up by makeup, which is highly likely.

It could be the product of sun exposure on a thinning scalp with minimum UV protection via hair. It would also suggest all offenders are possibly concentrated/ accumulated on the scalp.

Dr. B

Does ascorbic acid supplementation increase iron levels? Supposedly it can reduce copper levels which could increase iron indirectly?

They probably already had that hair, hence why they are influencers, selling supplements to their fan base to make a quick buck. The profit margin of fish oil is quite good.

Ive been trying to learn more about this. How come omega 3 is anti endotoxin whereas saturated fat is pro endotoxin? The endotoxin factor is enough to affect hair, some post here was a post about a bald woman regrowing all her hair by resolving endotoxin. Estrogen can cause hair loss, but endotoxin also can. So is it possible for some people if they have more of an endotoxin problem than an estrogen problem, that the fish oil will lead to better hair growth? Of course in men pufa also has the castration like effects and 5ar inhibition, but it seems to cause hair loss in most men despite the pro castration effects.

RealNeat

Does ascorbic acid supplementation increase iron levels? Supposedly it can reduce copper levels which could increase iron indirectly?

Ive been trying to learn more about this. How come omega 3 is anti endotoxin whereas saturated fat is pro endotoxin? The endotoxin factor is enough to affect hair, some post here was a post about a bald woman regrowing all her hair by resolving endotoxin. Estrogen can cause hair loss, but endotoxin also can. So is it possible for some people if they have more of an endotoxin problem than an estrogen problem, that the fish oil will lead to better hair growth? Of course in men pufa also has the castration like effects and 5ar inhibition, but it seems to cause hair loss in most men despite the pro castration effects.

dreamcatcher

I wasn't talking about influencers but some girls who share what they eat or take randomly in one of their posts. Most of them are Ukrainians or Russians.

Dr. B

Good post
Do you know if pasta is safer than breads and otjer gluten starches.
So, online they say pasta is better and raises blood sugar less than white bread.
But the reason for it is because of the way tje gluten molecules are bonded in pasta.
And it actually digests slower thats why it doesnt raise blood sugar as much.
And it seems like it takes a lot longer to digest pasta than bread.
So its good if trying to limit calories... but from a metabolic perspective is it a net negative? Inferior to even bread?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals