Results With Boiled Mushrooms

I’m waiting for my Cascara and charcoal order to arrive and wanted to get things moving bowel wise. BMs seems too sticky and smelly to be ideal but I always put this down to a high protein diet. I tried using some powdered charcoal but that seemed to make things stickier.

I boiled a pound of large white mushrooms sliced (pretty sure these are just more mature button mushrooms) in about 2 quarts of water with my pressure cooker. Vented the steam off well and had a large bowl of the juice and shrooms. They were palatable but not tasty even with a bit of salt. I think I added too much water as the pressure cooker doesn’t allow much steam to escape and hence no reduction. The liquid tasted of mushroom.

I later looked at the huge pot of cooled mushroom “soup” and decided I’d experiment by downing the whole lot. I ate the shrooms first then drank the fluid. I figured it would be an interesting experiment as I don’t have a sensitive stomach and figured it might clear out my colon better than my daily 2 carrot salad. Working from home tomorrow so nothing crazy to lose.

I will try this again with shredded mushrooms and about 1/4 of the liquid. I’ll adjust the dosage based on my results tomorrow lol. I’m also eager to experience what low estrogen is like as I don’t think I’ve been there before.

Omg. That is a lot. Let us know how things come out.

Glassy

Omg. That is a lot. Let us know how things come out.

I got some rumbling in my tummy yesterday evening and had a large loose BM and then another this morning although not so big. I definitely feel like it got things moving but not in an overly uncomfortable way. I rarely get an upset stomach from anything though so it’s probably not indicative of how most would react.

I’ve got another batch in the pressure cooker right now - 1lb of button mushrooms blended with a quart of water. I used my strong blender and it turned it all to a brown soup in about 10 secs.

I suspect that the affect on my bowels was due more to the fibre than the liquid but the dissolved polysaccharides may have an impact. No noteable low E2 side affects yet. I expect the liquid in this batch to a stronger concentration and I plan to strain the solids and eat today, while taking the liquid in small doses throughout the week. My bowels feel cleaner and I feel a bit less bloated in my belly. I’m happy with the result but I wouldn’t want to have to consume that amount every day.

Glassy

Just a quick update. The second batch was a stronger concentration having added only enough water to blend thoroughly and I preferred the desiccated mushroom bits to the sliced (much easier to just drink rather than chew). I ended up having about 300mls of “liquid” the first night and about 200mls of “liquid” the next 2 (didn’t strain). Getting some good regular easy BMs but still feel like I need the cascara/charcoal for a good clean out.

No definitive signs of low E2 yet although my knees have become a little crackly again (did heavy squats yesterday with no issues though). I will prep another batch of mushrooms tomorrow and let the experiment continue. Been taking the “liquid” on an empty stomach and waiting 20-30mins before eating food. I feel like I’m looking a little thinner around my waist but it could be just my imagination or just some reduced material in my bowels. My body weight is slightly lower (1-2 lbs) but it fluctuates like that sometimes (it usually increases after I workout though).

aquaman

Mushroom soup with red wine, milk, water (about 1/4 wine, 1/4 milk, 1/2 water), with tons of garlic and tons of salt is a new staple of mine.

I normally add sole boiled greens stock at the end if I want to dilute it, and add the milk a few minutes before the end so I don’t boil it too long

Them blend it all up. Incredible.

Mushrooms need so much salt to taste good. Around 4-5g of sea salt per bowl

mr.mag

Agaricus bisporus (J. E. Lange) Sing: Isildak et al (2004) reported that this mushroom could absorb heavy metals like copper, cadmium, lead, zinc, manganese, iron, chromium and nickel. The level of copper was quite high compared to other metal ions. According to Kalac et al (2004), cultivated A. bisporus absorb less amount of cadmium compared to plants growing in wild. Similar report on biosorption of heavy metals was also published by Demirbas (2001) and Sesli & Tuzen (1999). This mushroom is reported to be very susceptible to increasing content of mercury and to a lesser extent of cadmium in substrate and bio-accumulates both the metals and lead in its fruiting bodies (Tuzen et al, 1998).

Heavy metals accumulate more in some mushrooms than in others

Heavy metals in mushrooms and their relationship with soil characteristics - ScienceDirect

Glassy

Ok last update - I’ve had a few days without mushrooms as I’ve been travelling. I started to get some pain in my shoulder and knees but this could have been from lifting weights or just an old injury flaring up (rather than low estrogen). I upped my gelatine and took a break from bench press and it stopped bothering me. I was having around 100g of mushroom (200ml of liquid) per day for about 3 weeks. I had good BMs and found them a good substitute for carrots in this regard. I had a couple of emotionally low days towards the end but stress has been a high ta work recently which doesn’t help things.

The cascara and AC order arrived and I had 3 desert spoons of AC granules which gave me some discomfort on the plane trip the next morning but it passed around lunch time without issue (probably not the smartest move but I like to give things a proper go). I will run the AC and mushrooms when I get home over the weekend to really clean my gut out (I might keep a batch of mushroom juice as an alternative to carrot salad). I’ve eaten a lot of animal flesh with intermittent fasting over the last year which seems to have slowed my bowel transit time down. As I mentioned my digest system is not that sensitive and I think the granulated charcoal is pretty amazing stuff. I’m keen for a blood test to see where my estrogen and prolactin levels are out of interest but not concern. Thanks for sharing your experience @ecstatichamster, I’d have to say mine was a bit inconclusive, but it’s been interesting.

What is the consenus here in terms of how much boiled wbm per day is necessary to notice the benefits?

Are there any products out there that produce the same results? I see on amazon a handful of a. blazei extracts being sold. In terms of bang for buck, I wonder which would win out: home prep or commercial offering.

I also noticed in the study they alluded that the active content was likely water soluble, it makes me wonder if an ethanol extract could be even more effective - has anyone tried making wbm vodka?

Last edited:
Also, just a guess, but could the high glutamate content be partly why the wbm is helping spike temperatures and aid with digestion ?

Stumbled across this just now, I didn't know glutamate and taurine were the highest in breast milk, hmmm.

Sarwar, G., Botting, H., Davis, T., Darling, P., & Pencharz, P. (1998). Free amino acids in milks of human subjects, other primates and non-primates. British Journal of Nutrition, 79(2), 129-131. doi:10.1079/BJN19980023

Preterm and term transitional milks of human subjects and mature milks of human subjects, non-human primates and non-primates were analysed for free amino acids (AA) using precolumn phenylisothiocyanate derivatization and liquid chromatography. Differences in free AA between three types of human milk were small. Milks of pinnipeds (seals and sea lions) contained the highest levels of total free AA (8634–20 862 μmol/1), while the milks of cows and sheep had the lowest levels of total free AA (1061–1357 μmol/1). The milks of human subjects, chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes), gorillas (Gorilla gorilla), elephants (Elephas maximus), horses and pigs had intermediate levels of total free AA (3069–7381 μmol/1). Glutamic acid was the most abundant free AA in milks of human subjects (1339–2157 μmol/1), non-human primates (423–2528 μmol/1), elephants (1332 μmol/1), horses (1119 μmol/1), and cows (349 μmol/1). Taurine was the most abundant free AA in milks of pinnipeds (5776–13 643 μmol/1), pigs (1238 μmol/1), goats (1150 μmol/1) and sheep (341 μmol/1). Taurine was the second most abundant free AA in milks of human subjects and non-human primates, while histidine was the second most abundant free AA in milks of pinnipeds. Milks of each species had a distinctive free AA pattern which may reflect the relative importance of the free AA during early postnatal development.

Agaricus bisporus (J. E. Lange) Sing: Isildak et al (2004) reported that this mushroom could absorb heavy metals like copper, cadmium, lead, zinc, manganese, iron, chromium and nickel. The level of copper was quite high compared to other metal ions. According to Kalac et al (2004), cultivated A. bisporus absorb less amount of cadmium compared to plants growing in wild. Similar report on biosorption of heavy metals was also published by Demirbas (2001) and Sesli & Tuzen (1999). This mushroom is reported to be very susceptible to increasing content of mercury and to a lesser extent of cadmium in substrate and bio-accumulates both the metals and lead in its fruiting bodies (Tuzen et al, 1998).

Heavy metals accumulate more in some mushrooms than in others

Heavy metals in mushrooms and their relationship with soil characteristics - ScienceDirect

thanks. Heavy metals are worse in mushrooms. That is true. But they also are high in copper and selenium. Perhaps it is on balance a benefit.

LadyRae

I've been a big fan of Dr. Peats idea on consuming boiled mushrooms....I have not heard many other people's experiences with them thus far.

Does anyone wish to share their experiences? Symptoms? Results? Changes?
I've been mixing them into my carrot salads. Their meaty texture gives a satisfying full-meal feel to it. Apparently they have anti-aromatase properties. My goal is to bind up excess estrogen in the gut.

I also take DIM and calcium D-glucarate and cascara before bed..

Clearer skin, less edema.

One thing I am a little concerned about however is that I think the digestion of these foods, even when consumed before noon, seem to wake me up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning. A lot of times I will have a bowel movement at that time and then sometimes I go back to sleep but usually not.

Has anyone come to a solution for any digestive stress these foods may cause?

LadyRae

I’m waiting for my Cascara and charcoal order to arrive and wanted to get things moving bowel wise. BMs seems too sticky and smelly to be ideal but I always put this down to a high protein diet. I tried using some powdered charcoal but that seemed to make things stickier.

I boiled a pound of large white mushrooms sliced (pretty sure these are just more mature button mushrooms) in about 2 quarts of water with my pressure cooker. Vented the steam off well and had a large bowl of the juice and shrooms. They were palatable but not tasty even with a bit of salt. I think I added too much water as the pressure cooker doesn’t allow much steam to escape and hence no reduction. The liquid tasted of mushroom.

I later looked at the huge pot of cooled mushroom “soup” and decided I’d experiment by downing the whole lot. I ate the shrooms first then drank the fluid. I figured it would be an interesting experiment as I don’t have a sensitive stomach and figured it might clear out my colon better than my daily 2 carrot salad. Working from home tomorrow so nothing crazy to lose.

I will try this again with shredded mushrooms and about 1/4 of the liquid. I’ll adjust the dosage based on my results tomorrow lol. I’m also eager to experience what low estrogen is like as I don’t think I’ve been there before.
I'm pretty sure we are not supposed to drink the fluid that they have been boiled in. This is what contains the properties that we are supposed to boil out. It's the whole reason for boiling them for 3 hours...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals