Influence Of Storage And Household Processing On Mushroom Hydrazine

Miso

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and want to thank you for all the great content here; after a recent Dr Peat newsletter I've been curious about mushrooms, particularly around their hydrazine content; does anyone have any information on hydrazine levels by mushroom species? Not sure if this was shared here before, but see attached a study on impact of storage and cooking on agaritine levels in common mushroom species (one of the toxic hydrazine derivatives). Various methods of storage and cooking were evaluated, and seems that a significant reduction in the toxin can be achieved- with regards to boiling, it seems that 88% agaritine reduction is achieved after 60 minutes on the cooked mushroom; if I interpret right though, 40% of the agaritine was lost due to degradation/evaporation, while remaining 48% was still active in the liquid broth. Is this a significant amount to be concerned with? Seems that concentration equilibrium is quickly reached in the liquid broth ( ~15 minutes) remaining relatively constant over 2 hours of cooking. Eating mushrooms that have been frozen and thawed, or canned mushrooms are ways of further reducing agaritine content, though not sure whether the active goodies are negatively impacted as well.

Attachments

• processingstoragedegradationagaritine.pdf
    337.4 KB · Views: 103

bookshelf

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and want to thank you for all the great content here; after a recent Dr Peat newsletter I've been curious about mushrooms, particularly around their hydrazine content; does anyone have any information on hydrazine levels by mushroom species? Not sure if this was shared here before, but see attached a study on impact of storage and cooking on agaritine levels in common mushroom species (one of the toxic hydrazine derivatives). Various methods of storage and cooking were evaluated, and seems that a significant reduction in the toxin can be achieved- with regards to boiling, it seems that 88% agaritine reduction is achieved after 60 minutes on the cooked mushroom; if I interpret right though, 40% of the agaritine was lost due to degradation/evaporation, while remaining 48% was still active in the liquid broth. Is this a significant amount to be concerned with? Seems that concentration equilibrium is quickly reached in the liquid broth ( ~15 minutes) remaining relatively constant over 2 hours of cooking. Eating mushrooms that have been frozen and thawed, or canned mushrooms are ways of further reducing agaritine content, though not sure whether the active goodies are negatively impacted as well.
Hi Miso,

I was searching for some info/studies on mushrooms and came across this post. I know it's from 2016 but I wanted to say I appreciate the information. I've been wondering about the leftover as I do like to use it when a recipe calls for broth and sometimes even use some in my water for making coffee. I'm thinking maybe this isn't such a good idea...

I would love to hear any updates in your research and hope that the last 6 years have been good to you.

Peatress

Can't access the full text

Agaritine Content of Fresh and Processed Mushrooms [Agaricus bisporus (Lange) Imbach]

Agaritine concentrations were determined in both fresh and processed mushrooms using HPLC. Agaritine concentrations (% of fresh weight) of fresh mushrooms varied considerably among 14 lots from 10 different sources; the range was 0.033% to 0.173% and the average was 0.088%. Postharvest storage for 5 days at both 2°C and 12°C reduced original agaritine content by as much as 68%. Freezing, storage for 30 days at −25°C and subsequent thawing reduced agaritine by about 74%. Bisulfite treatment prior to freezing and freezing rate was found to have no significant effect on agaritine content. Canning operations reduced agaritine levels by as much as 87%; approximately 66% was removed during blanching and the remainder by thermal processing and storage.

Dr Peat says to boil for at least an hour, longer would be better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hawKtPcGccM&t=2417s