My large index and archive of Ray Peat resources (website)

chimpanzee

I'll probably just end up learning python then making a script to help automate all of that, I'll get to that in the near future.
Good luck. I have tried to do just that and there's no formatting information stored in the PDF in a way that the python library can understand. Unfortunately this means that you can get all the text but you can't automatically tell apart the title from the body and worse, you can't tell when sentence or a paragraph ends, they get jumbled together.

It's possible to hack together a script where it will extract that and you'll need some manual editing to set the title, paragraphs and references, but then it's not much different to copy paste.

yerrag

Isn
Good luck. I have tried to do just that and there's no formatting information stored in the PDF in a way that the python library can understand. Unfortunately this means that you can get all the text but you can't automatically tell apart the title from the body and worse, you can't tell when sentence or a paragraph ends, they get jumbled together.

It's possible to hack together a script where it will extract that and you'll need some manual editing to set the title, paragraphs and references, but then it's not much different to copy paste

Thanks for helping out with your insights, Chimp.

I use an Android app called Docsearch and I use it to search a folder on my phone that contains all the text-based PDF files of Ray Peat's writings. It does a good job of it and has been tremendously helpful.

I was hoping to see if there's anything that's client-based, be it an app, phone or pc-based, or a browser extension, that could enable such functionality without having to do anything on the server side, or the website.

Since the PDF files have no security protections, wouldn't there be a client that can do that?

chimpanzee

Isn

Thanks for helping out with your insights, Chimp.

I use an Android app called Docsearch and I use it to search a folder on my phone that contains all the text-based PDF files of Ray Peat's writings. It does a good job of it and has been tremendously helpful.

I was hoping to see if there's anything that's client-based, be it an app, phone or pc-based, or a browser extension, that could enable such functionality without having to do anything on the server side, or the website.

Since the PDF files have no security protections, wouldn't there be a client that can do that?
No problem, glad to help. As far as I'm aware I don't think it's possible to search files without downloading them (which would be a security risk for an extension to do on your behalf so I'd be surprised if browsers allow it). On the other hand it's quite easy on the server to associate the full text with each PDF as metadata and search on that, but obviously not what you asked. There's nothing client side that I know of.

chimpanzee

Sorry i hadn't read the full thread when I was tagged so my initial reply was not helpful. I understand that's what you were asking initially now @yerrag . @Eth feel free to request any details on how to do search on the PDFs by storing metadata, or if you release the code on GitHub I may help implement it.

yerrag

No problem, glad to help. As far as I'm aware I don't think it's possible to search files without downloading them (which would be a security risk for an extension to do on your behalf so I'd be surprised if browsers allow it). On the other hand it's quite easy on the server to associate the full text with each PDF as metadata and search on that, but obviously not what you asked. There's nothing client side that I know of.
Thanks for giving me a good explanation difficulty in doing a search on the text contents of the articles in the website.

Since Eth's compilation does a good job of putting Ray's articles together, though making it complete is a work in progress, it still allows me to access articles I don't already have in my folder. And if I print these text files to text pdf, I could add thise converted to pdf files to my personal collection, from where I could do a search from either my desktop or my android with apps.

I don't have a script or program to automate the process, but it is something I can do manually. I find it very helpful to have such search capability on as much as possible of Peat's writings. The volume of what he's written is staggering, and it may be hard for anyone to all of it with enough comprehension and recall. But it's not practical, just as it is impractical to read the entire bible. But being able to read articles that are relevant to one's health interest at hand, by using search to find them, has been extremely helpful to me.

It is also harder to do on the server side, even if it were possible. Everything content has to be parsed into a similar format, in order to have a uniformity that a script can handle, and it involves time, and usually a singular and not a team effort. So, rather than me, as a user, requesting for more features, I would be better off doing something than can complement what he is doing by using his output and extending search functionality in an offline way. That is what I have been doing anyway, and have posted about it in the past. Just today I posted how I do it in more detail in another thread: Why such diametrically opposed opinions on CO2?

It does not matter if what is shared is in a website or in a folder that can be shared thru a web folder. What matters more is that members can find an easy way to do a deep dive on a particular topic such as CO2. by being able to access Ray Peat's writings on the subject over the years. That would give him many dots to use to connect Ray Peat's ideas so that he can be in a better position to apply Peat's principles to heal himself.

chimpanzee

Thanks for giving me a good explanation difficulty in doing a search on the text contents of the articles in the website.

Since Eth's compilation does a good job of putting Ray's articles together, though making it complete is a work in progress, it still allows me to access articles I don't already have in my folder. And if I print these text files to text pdf, I could add thise converted to pdf files to my personal collection, from where I could do a search from either my desktop or my android with apps.

I don't have a script or program to automate the process, but it is something I can do manually. I find it very helpful to have such search capability on as much as possible of Peat's writings. The volume of what he's written is staggering, and it may be hard for anyone to all of it with enough comprehension and recall. But it's not practical, just as it is impractical to read the entire bible. But being able to read articles that are relevant to one's health interest at hand, by using search to find them, has been extremely helpful to me.

It is also harder to do on the server side, even if it were possible. Everything content has to be parsed into a similar format, in order to have a uniformity that a script can handle, and it involves time, and usually a singular and not a team effort. So, rather than me, as a user, requesting for more features, I would be better off doing something than can complement what he is doing by using his output and extending search functionality in an offline way. That is what I have been doing anyway, and have posted about it in the past. Just today I posted how I do it in more detail in another thread: Why such diametrically opposed opinions on CO2?

It does not matter if what is shared is in a website or in a folder that can be shared thru a web folder. What matters more is that members can find an easy way to do a deep dive on a particular topic such as CO2. by being able to access Ray Peat's writings on the subject over the years. That would give him many dots to use to connect Ray Peat's ideas so that he can be in a better position to apply Peat's principles to heal himself.
It is quite possible in JavaScript on server or client side and not too hard (server needs to provide client with text metadata though).

I'll make a python script for you to convert to text locally when i get the time.

"Your face is the outward reflection of your emotional state. Frequent feelings solidify into permanent features. This is the mechanism of physiognomy.

"I was born with a resting b**** face."

No, you are a b****."

Site is a winner, great job!

yerrag

It is quite possible in JavaScript on server or client side and not too hard (server needs to provide client with text metadata though).

I'll make a python script for you to convert to text locally when i get the time.

Here's what I've done so far. I've converted the html-based articles under the Articles section to text-based PDF files and put them in its own folder and added the folder for indexing to put them searchable with my DosuSearch app.

Since the articles in the PDF section are all image and not text-based PDFs, they aren't searchable. So eacn file had to be converted to tiff image files before they can be OCRed to text-based PDF files. The contents then become searchable.

I can do very good searches already, and the added material can only help. I find that doing thorough deep dives in greatly facilitated.

If such functionality can be enabled on a client-server diatribution of workload, that functionality can be extended to the web.

marcuswhybrow

I haven't ready the full thread, but I'm working, even as I speak, on an open-source website to round-up all of Ray's public interviews as written transcripts with a full text search and an index. I call it Ray Peat Rodeo and it's already got a few transcripts up. It's early day's yet, but you can check out the code on GitHub.

My goal is to incorporate (backup) all the fantastic transcripts already on the forum, and (over time) create transcripts for every audio/video interview. I wasn't sure if incorporating Ray's articles (and even newsletters) would be the honourable thing to do—and I'm not currently doing that—but if they were included, and if that we're okay with Ray's estate, then there'd (eventually) be a fully curated text search of everything Ray's ever said publicly, that's completely open source (available to others with development knowledge).

I was gonna wait until the project was a little more mature before introducing it to the forum, but maybe Ray Peat Rodeo offers some of the features you've been discussing.

Cheers.

OP
Eth

Eth

I haven't ready the full thread, but I'm working, even as I speak, on an open-source website to round-up all of Ray's public interviews as written transcripts with a full text search and an index. I call it Ray Peat Rodeo and it's already got a few transcripts up. It's early day's yet, but you can check out the code on GitHub.

My goal is to incorporate (backup) all the fantastic transcripts already on the forum, and (over time) create transcripts for every audio/video interview. I wasn't sure if incorporating Ray's articles (and even newsletters) would be the honourable thing to do—and I'm not currently doing that—but if they were included, and if that we're okay with Ray's estate, then there'd (eventually) be a fully curated text search of everything Ray's ever said publicly, that's completely open source (available to others with development knowledge).

I was gonna wait until the project was a little more mature before introducing it to the forum, but maybe Ray Peat Rodeo offers some of the features you've been discussing.

Cheers.
I've checked out the site and the project, and it looks wonderful so far! Very nice work :D

This Github page could possibly be of use to you.

Keep up the fantastic work friend! I've linked your site in the links section of my website. If you ever would like to use anything from my site by all means use it. I will be eagerly keeping up with your project :)

marcuswhybrow

I've checked out the site and the project, and it looks wonderful so far! Very nice work :D

This Github page could possibly be of use to you.

Keep up the fantastic work friend! I've linked your site in the links section of my website. If you ever would like to use anything from my site by all means use it. I will be eagerly keeping up with your project :)
Nice one. I've added the link to my sources list.
Your site is capacious :): thanks!

EnergeticLeo

Cheers.
This is very nice! Thanks for sharing.

OP
Eth

Eth

This site is great nice work
Thank you!!

I made another thread with a poll asking whether or not I should add a "Print" button to the articles, the thread can be found here. I am adding lots of content to the health section in the near future, and I am currently fiddling around with some other important changes. Stay tuned :D

Peatress

Not really sure what your alluding too, considering I've never even seen the discussion of race come up before on this forum; and it ideally shouldnt come up on this forum, considering that it has nothing to do with ray peats work and health ideas.
Besides that, I'm not going to debate about race or anything in this forum and I'm going to ask you and others to avoid the topic as well, its just contrary to the topic of this thread.
Interesting.

Ashs

Hello friends,

I would like to share with you all my website, which has a large health section dedicated almost exclusively to Ray Peat resources, archives, and content. Personally, when I first discovered the work of Dr. Ray Peat, I was ecstatic to delve into his writings to learn more about his teachings, but I often found a problem of a lack of a reliable centralized resource. There are many different resources and websites that I've come across during my time spent researching Dr. Peat's views, and while many of them have wonderful resources and information, it's (in my opinion) just a little too confusing (especially for the newcomer!) to try and navigate all this with a poor idea of where to start and what they are looking for. The forum has wonderful information embeded inside, but then again, there is the problem of resources being too esoteric in nature to find. Thus, I decided that I should dedicate a section of my personal website to amassing as many benificial and important works concerning and by Dr. Ray peat as I could, in the effort to help myself and others digest Dr. Ray Peat's work with less hassle.

The directory has many different subsections that I collected from many different websites and resources (that I thank and link to at the top of the page). These subsections include:
- A full index of Ray Peat's writings (articles, papers, newsletters, books); ALL of the content from Ray Peat's personal website is archived here, and I formatted all of it so that it is easily readible and accesible (I was not a big fan of the HTML and CSS design on Ray Peat's personal website; the margins for the text was terrible and streatched out to the entire screen at times).
- Written, video and audio interviews of Ray Peat
- Collections of Ray Peats quotes and email exchanges, and more!

Like many of you, I was extremely upset at the unfortunate passing of our friend Dr. Ray Peat, so I dedicated a large subsection of the directory to a sort of e-obituary/memorial I made in honor of our friend Ray Peat. It includes a beautiful eulogy from a man whos writing im quite fond of, a large section of testimony and condolance quotes from fans that I have collected, and an archive post of the thread "Pictures of a Beautiful Energetic Life", where I saved, organized, and archived all the photos sent in that forum post for easy access and viewing.

I really hope you all enjoy this site, and my biggest wish is that you get as much out of it as I put into it (collecting, organizing, formatting, and archiving all of these resources was a LOT of work). Personally, having all the resources (that I could find) centralized in this one area helps me a ton, and I hope that I can share that ease with the rest of you.

If anyone would like to contribute to the site, by sending some more content in through the replies or just giving general feedback, I would very much appreciate that!

Expulsia.com/health
Excellent Eth, thanks a ton for this.

mrchibbs

I must say the design is absolutely beautiful, and it's fantastic to have all these resources in one place

OP
Eth

Eth

Interesting.
You got me? I guess? Quote circa 4 months ago before I saw that politics was a prominent discussion topic on the site :cheers

OP
Eth

Eth

I must say the design is absolutely beautiful, and it's fantastic to have all these resources in one place
Thank you so much!!

milkandhoney

Cheers.
I've already pretty much done this with raypeatdiet.com

If you would like to buy it from me then feel free to PM - too busy with other work to further develop it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals