Is The Whole "drunken Experience" A Result Of Serotonin And Estrogen Increase?

I'm sure nearly everyone has heard of the whole "drinking makes people stupid/crazy/horny/violent/mean/manic/etc."

I am wondering if the general explanation of "increased GABA" or "reduced inhibitions" really explains some outlandish behavior by some who drink and get drunk -- or if it is more along the lines of more estrogen and serotonin, which both coincide with irritability/moodiness/mania/etc. I think.

Basically the overly simplistic idea of lowered inhibitions seems weak and not substantiated enough to explain these big changes in some people and no changes in others who get drunk. I wonder also if how one acts or changes when drunk points to their (regular) serotonin levels, estrogen levels, endotoxin, stress levels, lifestyle/experiences, and various other response systems that may sway the character/actions of one more heavily than another.

I've been drunk a handful of times before (I don't drink like that anymore -- not worth it/nothing to gain) and pretty much no one around me would notice, which means my behavior has never been highly dictated by my drinking enough to become intoxicated (point of vomiting/passing out as I have some history with) while some others become examples of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in their dramatic personality or behavior changes.

Last edited:

Anders86

I was drunk last night on a Christmas work party and I had taken Diamant and a anti-serotonin amino mix before I left to the party. Drank Red Bulls and clear vodka, I felt very good before and on the party, didn`t really feel the Vodka even though I drank quite a bit. We then left to eat at a restaurant and I ate lamb, one hour after the late dinner I experienced some nausea, dizziness and irritability. Luckily I didn`t live far away and just went home annoyed to bed, I remember feeling very drunk on my way home. It seem to be the food triggering my "drunkeness", I only ate meat with Irish Coffee but I guess the amino acids, Iron or the way the meat was smoked could be a trigger and would correlate with your theory.

Orangeyouglad

Very interested in this as well. I posted a thread a while back that I usually feel pretty good while drinking. Some of the theories were reduced endotoxin in the gut from consuming alcohol.

I went out the night before Thanksgiving and I'm thinking about crazy horny I was that night and even the next day. Since it overlapped into the following day, I would think that it actually might be an increase in Estrogen.