White button mushroom causes incredible pain and gases :(

Asya_D

So I did search here in the forum and couldn't find anyone having adverse effects from white button mushrooms.

I sliced fresh organic white button mushrooms, thoroughly simmered them for 3 hours and doesn't matter when I eat them - morning or night (decided to see how I can tolerate) - had super duper discomfort (sorry, gases!) for about 12-18 hours.

I even tried making a soup out of 3 hour boiled mushrooms - I thoroughly mixed mushrooms and water from boiling, then put it back on stove, added coconut milk - same, I had such terrible discomfort that I'm scared to try again.
For instance, carrot salad, on the contrary, gave me a very positive effect - I've felt how how my digestive tracts were happy and the result was great(sorry for the details, but "number 2" was great %)). I've been eating the salad for a week and a big fan now!

Any thoughts on why mushrooms cause so much pain? Any tips to alleviate the pain? Should I push through or discard 1 pound of mushrooms that I just freshly cooked?

Arnold Grape

Answer: skip mushrooms in lieu of carrots. Also, the whole concept of “pushing through” a food item or supplement that makes you feel like ***t is weird to me. If anything, try to recover your metabolism and try again in several months.

OP
Asya_D

Asya_D

Yeah, didn't seem logical or smart to push through at all, but I assumed, one might comment something like: "Oh, yes, I had pain for few days then my gut got used to it"

I better freeze the mushrooms I have in my fridge then! And here I thought I have a pretty good metabolism and digestion:rolleyes:

rebuke

That is what happened to me. 4 or 5 days of discomfort and pressure then more regular digestion even when I stop eating it for a week.

mrchibbs

This is normal. WB mushrooms are very potent, and will have profound effects on your intestinal microbiota. Within a week or two it should stop and settle down forever.

But if you don't enjoy the mushrooms, even in a soup (I love cream of mushroom soup personally), don't eat them.

This is normal. WB mushrooms are very potent, and will have profound effects on your intestinal microbiota. Within a week or two it should stop and settle down forever.

But if you don't enjoy the mushrooms, even in a soup (I love cream of mushroom soup personally), don't eat them.

I love the taste of WB mushrooms and appreciate their nutritional value and their help against two of my worst enemies: gut pathogens and estrogen. But they tend to slow my intestinal transit more than I'd like, even when I eat them near daily for weeks. On balance, I'm not sure they improve my GI health. Wish I could make them work for me.

mrchibbs

I love the taste of WB mushrooms and appreciate their nutritional value and their help against two of my worst enemies: gut pathogens and estrogen. But they tend to slow my intestinal transit more than I'd like, even when I eat them near daily for weeks. On balance, I'm not sure they improve my GI health. Wish I could make them work for me.

I don't think they necessarily should be eaten all the time. They have drug-like potency. I eat a mushroom soup 1 week out of the month.

Velve921

I eat them every morning as they are potent. Never had any pain. If for some reason you choose to try them again, not saying you should, maybe try the minimal effective dose. So maybe 1 mushroom a day, not a large dose.

Kind of like coffee people who do not do well with coffee. Instead of trying 8-12 ounces in a sitting, maybe try 1oz.

I actually am currently testing 1oz of beef liver a day, instead of 4-6oz 1x a week.

Theyre are many different ways to play with dosages of foods.

With all that said I agree that yuh should never push through food that causes pain, but any new food you are testing, don’t ever be afraid to start with low doses.

I don't think they necessarily should be eaten all the time. They have drug-like potency. I eat a mushroom soup 1 week out of the month.

Thanks, @mrchibbs. Your analogy also raises the possibility that my daily "dose" has just been too large. Not my fault -- WB mushrooms are too tasty.

Edit to add: Thanks, @Velve921. I missed your post.

Last edited:

Happycat

I had a similar experience with white button mushrooms, running to the toilet every 10min, pain and gas. I am too scared to try it again, it was horrible.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals