Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

jyb

I'm using a 150W near infra red bulb and haven\t seen any results after hundreds of hours of use. Perhaps it's not powerful enough?

The only thing with these bulbs is the heat and not knowing the nanometer of the spectrum...

I was thinking of trying this based on the study: Intsun 96 Leds IR Illuminators Light IR Infrared Light LED infrared light CCTV Camera Night-vision Fill Light for CCTV Security Camera, Standard 45° Level Angle Visual Range (96 LED): Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

It looks cheap. Check the wattage to understand why (15W).

I've been using a 400W halogen spotlight. Seems to work great for me.

I did 2500W halogen by combining several. I got more freckles which confirmed UV was coming through, so I sold all my halogens.

ballomar

I did 2500W halogen by combining several. I got more freckles which confirmed UV was coming through, so I sold all my halogens.

I was wondering whether it is possible to put another sheet of glass or some sort of film across it to reduce UV.

whit

="Nstocks, post: 123782, member: 1553"]That's some serious heat! No red light at all? (just the whole spectrum)?

On a side note. I have been running a saltwater aquarium for over a year now. The first 8 months I used a very expensive and popular LED light with very little growth on corals. I now use a 8 x 80W T5 fluorescent fixture and the growth of some corals have literally doubled in a few months. The same is said for growing macro algae - LED's don't work as effectively as light bulbs/tubes so there is some scepticism for LED's and the skin... I just don't want to burn my face!
I'm skeptical of LED lighting too. I'm not saying their addition to the spectrum isn't valid but the skin responds to things our eyes cannot see for a reason. The response needs to be a pure interaction with environment if Possible. The time tested approach is only now becoming somewhat understood. There's more to be seen that lies within that responds to the light from without. More illumination is needed. It's more like a Symphony than just one freqency. Supplemental MSM and MB can be useful in the equasion. Glucose levels at the time of light exposure is pretty important too.

Last edited by a moderator:

whit

Ballomar,
According to Dr Wunsch glass blocks UVB and allows UVA to pass through. This does more harm than good but you can't see the damage. It's apparently better to get UVB or both. But not only UVA.

Nstocks

Just received my 250W Infrared bulb made for chickens and now I'm worried about premature ageing!

Nstocks

Could you elaborate on your experience with the LED compared to the bulbs you were using? Was it a dramatic effect on the performance of how the Led improved your skin(?)

whit

The wavelengths of light your getting from an infrared source has a structuring affect to the skin. What it's structuring is somewhat up to you and your diet. But I can tell you pesonally we all fight over who gets under the lights next. That includes the hens.
Maybe I need to get another light setup.
As for the LEDs my experience is limited, honestly the jury is still out, though I am curious.

Nstocks

After speaking to Joe at the red light man, I ordered the light.

It arrived today and my gosh it's powerful. It's literally like staring at the sun with closed eyes. I can't believe how bright it is, probably because it's a very concentrated source with a reflector? I'm going to order some goggles to protect my eyes. (sunbed/tanning goggles)

The unit is quite heavy, very industrial with a powerful (loud) fan.

I'll keep this thread updated over the coming weeks - this could be the solution to getting my beard to grow! (and acne scars to go away)

Last edited:

whit

Thanks for the update. Please continue to do so. I'm interested in what type of unit you went with. Perhaps some of the methods and outcomes you may be getting as well.

Last edited:

Nstocks

After 1 week of continuous usage of 2 daily uses (minimum 5 minutes long) over my face, I can say that I can see some improvements in my skin which the other red light never gave me. I also feel calmer at work (high stress retail job under intense fluorescent lights)...

My 'beard' is also starting to grow! I have always been able to grow a goatee and sideburns but my jawline (where most acne was) never grew. I think in a couple of months I will have a full beard which was always part of my personal goal with red light therapy. Acne that comes up seems to go away very quickly and scarring has gone down a lot too.

So yes, I can highly recommend the red Led light from red light man.

Nstocks

Plus I can use this light for my refugium so help grow macro algae to reduct excessive waste in the water column of my aquarium :D

whit

Get another light setup. Don't fight with the hens for the place under the heat lamp in the henhouse. They have a job to do. :chicken:

I did get another two light setups. The kids love it in the winter months. They asked for one as a birthday gift:cool:
As for the hens it takes them back to their chick days. For some of them that was a very long time ago..:chicken:

Last edited by a moderator:

whit

After 1 week of continuous usage of 2 daily uses (minimum 5 minutes long) over my face, I can say that I can see some improvements in my skin which the other red light never gave me. I also feel calmer at work (high stress retail job under intense fluorescent lights)...

My 'beard' is also starting to grow! I have always been able to grow a goatee and sideburns but my jawline (where most acne was) never grew. I think in a couple of months I will have a full beard which was always part of my personal goal with red light therapy. Acne that comes up seems to go away very quickly and scarring has gone down a lot too.

So yes, I can highly recommend the red Led light from red light man.

Awesome another win with red light.
Do you have a link or info on the rig you're using.
Thanks again for the update. Thats what this is all about.

jyb

This is the light. Very strong and well made : Red light device - Red Light Man

Seems like a decent light, it's actually a common model for growing plants but the guy marketed that for Peat readers (90W UFO LED Grow Lights by PRAKASA Led Grow Lights | growlightsled.co.uk). From what I see it seems possible to build one from scratch for cheaper (ten times more LEDs for the same price) -- cf LED Light Therapy and OverMachoGrande.com - Build your own / Do-it-yourself Laser Helmet / Laser Comb / Laser Brush for Hair Loss!.

Nstocks

I saw the last linked article on a reefing forum where quite a few people DIY their LED aquarium lights...

It could have been on the same forums, but those UFO lights (the LED's) aren't as powerful (or something) compared to the LED used in the Redlightman fixture. It's something about chip on board which delivers a lot more light in a much smaller package. The light I have is partly advertised for growing plants which is great because I need a good light for my refugium! (various saltwater algae)

jyb

I saw the last linked article on a reefing forum where quite a few people DIY their LED aquarium lights...

It could have been on the same forums, but those UFO lights (the LED's) aren't as powerful (or something) compared to the LED used in the Redlightman fixture. It's something about chip on board which delivers a lot more light in a much smaller package. The light I have is partly advertised for growing plants which is great because I need a good light for my refugium! (various saltwater algae)

Have you tried the more infrared focussed LED version (also available on the redlightman)? It seems promising for reaching the brain, but then if it that's the aim then the set up described by the two links above would be cheaper and better suited as can fold around the head.

Nstocks

I haven't tried Infrared LED, but I have the bulb (poor results). Out of curiosity I've been doing some research on the UFO (also because some people in the reef hobby claim they are the best)... I've spoken to Redlightman and a few points I found were:

UFO is the traditional type of LED (bridgelux), which compared to the COB (circuit on board) LED, leaves the light in a 180 degree diffusion, scattering the light meaning less power, similarly due to the configuration of the LED's so spread out, this too weakens the intensity of the light. That basically means you would need to hold it right on the skin/area for a lot longer to get the same effect as the COB light.

For comparison, a UFO and COB light of the same spectrum and wattage would, in most cases provide twice the power/output in favour of the COB in terms of growth, spread, speed etc. For my algae as an example, I'd need to position the light much, much closer with an UFO which means less area of lighting. (the COB light can light up an entire good-sized garden!) For growing plants, adding co2 will help growth and UFO with co2 is almost as good as the COB light alone, but the price of adding co2 will negate the saving compared to COB light.

So it's mostly about the configuration of the LED's - something the COB light is quite outstanding to look at really - so much power in a area smaller than the size of a golf ball. I do personally do a lot of DIY projects (you need to with a 1000L saltwater tank!) but I wouldn't/couldn't be bothered to solder LED's on a board and find a suitable housing for it. The time and resources, for me are not worth it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals