Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

jyb

I have some concern about this too, but I think a lot of the UV is blocked by a sheet of glass in front of the bulb?

The glass absorbs a lot. But since we are talking about high wattage bulbs, for me that's not good enough. I'm talking about a case where one is shining many times more than 100W from a short distance.

Last edited:

RedLightMan

Nstocks

They and many others recommend blue (and red) light therapy specifically for acne. They have the same model with red and blue LED's combined... Not sure if that's going to be stressful?

It would be better with a table top stand and lower price :(

Last edited:

RedLightMan

They and many others recommend blue (and red) light therapy specifically for acne. They have the same model with red and blue LED's combined... Not sure if that's going to be stressful?
Blue light is definitely stressful. That's why it's meant to be good for acne - because it stresses/kills the acne bacteria. It's also quite bad for our eyesight so blue-light blocking glasses are a good idea when using blue light.
I think it is proven to be effective against acne in studies. Just make sure you're simultaneously applying more in red light than blue light to cancel out the possible stress..........Or just use a good red only light, they're shown in studies to be somewhat effective for acne anyway.

DaveFoster

Last edited:

Nstocks

Are there any light bulbs that compete with LEDS for the spectrum (in the UK)? They would be a lot less expensive and often have better options in terms of mounting/placing them.

Last edited:

whit

There's a German doctor Alexander Wunsch who's spent much of his life in this field. There are a number of interviews online. He says the light should be from above and near infrared is the most beneficial.
If you alternate opening one eye at a time it may help. Like sungazers do."charlie, post: 1059, member: 2"]During the day when I am running it, like now, I keep it off to the side so its not blaring in my eyes. Or, I keep it behind me. Danny Roddy says he blares it into his retina's if I remember his statement correctly. Me, I dont want it in my face like that.

Last night, when laying in bed. I had the light on, pretty close to me, above me, maybe 2 feet away. Ran for about ten minutes, had my eyes closed because I dont really like the bright light either. So, I reached over and unplugged the light, eyes still closed, room completely dark, I had the most intense visuals I can ever remember. It lasted a good 15 seconds, but wow! It was pretty cool.[/QUOTE]
I have been putting my light above my bed the last couple nights and leaving it on right up till I go to sleep. Some people are reporting that you are able to go to sleep much easier with the light on, and stay asleep with the light on. I havent found that yet.

I am pretty sure the stress hormones start rising as soon as you are in the dark, and continue rising till its day time again.

It definitely puts out heat, I am under mine right now and can feel the heat. If it betters my health, I do not mind paying a little extra for AC. And in the winter, I have a feeling 2 or 3 of these will comfortably heat my small bedroom.

I was listening to Dr. Peat on a radio show a couple days ago. He said to be as naked as possible, and to shine the light on as much area as possible. Over in the Ray Peat Fans group, they are saying to shine it on the head and upper body per Ray Peat. I am assuming Ray said this because the upper body and head have the most skin area?
There
Sorry to bombard you here, Cliff, but...

How do you sleep with the light?
Just doesn't bother you, or you have a mask or what?
(You're more thorough with this light thing than Peat himself--
didn't I read that he tried sleeping with these lights on
but said he stopped because it was unpleasant...?)

With all the quality and intense surfing sun you get...
Do you understand the light effects as being something one can't simply store for later (at night)?
In other words
even if someone gets a ton of sun all day
the nighttime stress situation as described by Peat still pertains...?

How much heat does the light add?
Do you have to use extra AC to offset it?

Finally: is there any part of the body the light should be aimed at, ideally?
For instance, should it be shining into one's eyes?
There

whit

The cctv infared floodlights are what some use. They're 850nm. The price is low on these and the frequency is just right, but I'm not sure of the effectiveness. I've only ever used the clear 250w heat lamp. Love the effect.
Thank God for Peat.

Nstocks

I've just come across this article that compares 660n nm and 850nm.

LED Light Therapy

After skimming through it (mostly the charts) the 850nm has a higher light transmission through all levels of the skin.

"Generally speakinb, 20% transmission is the most 660 nm can do through the thinner type of skin like the scalp of a skinny white person. 850 nm can get through twice as good."

If this is true, the CCTV Infrared lights look quite promising at a very low cost which is great for experimentation alone.

Last edited:

whit

I have some concern about this too, but I think a lot of the UV is blocked by a sheet of glass in front of the bulb?
UVB is blocked by glass according to Dr Wunsch
That's the part of the spectrum that protects us from UVA gives a tan and vitamin D.
I've had great relief from many injuries with just a standard 250W infrared heat lamp.
It just seems like the body understands what to do with it.
MB is a great addition to the equation too.
Many thanks to Haidut for that tip.

whit

Are there any light bulbs that compete with LEDS for the spectrum (in the UK)? They would be a lot less expensive and often have better options in terms of mounting/placing them.
Nstocks
You may be able to find some smaller infared rigs in pet stores. They're for lizards and as such, smaller but worth a try when the sun doesn't come out ever this time of year especially for those of us in the UK.

Nstocks

ballomar

I'm using a 150W near infra red bulb and haven\t seen any results after hundreds of hours of use. Perhaps it's not powerful enough?

The only thing with these bulbs is the heat and not knowing the nanometer of the spectrum...

I was thinking of trying this based on the study: Intsun 96 Leds IR Illuminators Light IR Infrared Light LED infrared light CCTV Camera Night-vision Fill Light for CCTV Security Camera, Standard 45° Level Angle Visual Range (96 LED): Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

I've been using a 400W halogen spotlight. Seems to work great for me.

Nstocks

That's some serious heat! No red light at all? (just the whole spectrum)?

On a side note. I have been running a saltwater aquarium for over a year now. The first 8 months I used a very expensive and popular LED light with very little growth on corals. I now use a 8 x 80W T5 fluorescent fixture and the growth of some corals have literally doubled in a few months. The same is said for growing macro algae - LED's don't work as effectively as light bulbs/tubes so there is some scepticism for LED's and the skin... I just don't want to burn my face!

Last edited:

ballomar

That's some serious heat! No red light at all? (just the whole spectrum)?

Yeah, it's hot. It's not really 'whole spectrum'. Halogen's give off more at the red end than the blue end, which is good. It's not as red-shifted as the traditional incandescents though.

As you can see here: Halogen lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it peaks just over 700 nm, but still plenty of light in the 600nm and 800nm range. Obviously though, I'd be interested in a better solution.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals