Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

Judd Crane

Is it safe to look in the direction of the Bulbrite bulbs for 20 minutes wearing 500nm blue blockers or should the eyes be completely covered during full body front red light therapy?

Amazoniac

Raj in 'Demystifying dementia: Protective progesterone':

"Getting a generous amount of light on the head has beneficial effects on mental functions, by increasing the activity of cytochrome oxidase (Rojas, et al., 2012) and reducing inflammation."​

He sounded like me doubling parts, but in my case it's not on purpose.

boris

Is it safe to look in the direction of the Bulbrite bulbs for 20 minutes wearing 500nm blue blockers or should the eyes be completely covered during full body front red light therapy?

No idea, and I was about to ask the same. According to Peat blue light + accumulated PUFA damages the eyes.

I made a conscious effort to close my eyes when shining the incandescent on my face, but recently I don't bother and just look right into it when it's in my field of view. It gets uncomfortable after some time, but I noticed that the overexposed part on the eye receptors fades away quickly, not like white LED.

Peater Pan

I really enjoy the clear incandescents, and never got much from the red or infrared red light man products. Maybe it is something to do with the heat, although I don't think it is. I get a much more positive response.
Which incandescents bulbs do you recommend? I just can't see dropping a grand on a red light body panel. I have an LGS3. I like it.

Peater Pan

620 & 820nm (commonly 630/850) should not be combined in single light. 680 and 760nm (commonly 660/740) should not be combined. This is because they counteract each other in terms of oxidation/reduction in parts of cytochrome c oxidase (in mitochondria).
Do you still stand by this? It seems a lot of units these days combine 660 and 850.

Peater Pan

@Peater Pan The PHILIPS BR125 series is great. They are available in 150-250w, clear or red glass.
Thank you! Does Peat recommend against red coated? What would a therapy 'session' under incandescents look like relative to a LED panel or does one just sit under them all the time? If so, isn't that expensive?

boris

You can use the incandescents as long as you like. I heard the LEDs are more for short sessions of a few minutes, I think it depends how intense and close the light is.

I think Peat likes the clear ones more because the rest of the spectrum has benefits too. I enjoy both.

You can put the values into an online electricity cost calculator. Using the 250w lamp for 5 hours would cost me 35 eurocents.

Last edited:

Peater Pan

You can use the incandescents as long as you like. I heard the LEDs are more for short sessions of a few minutes, I think it depends how intense and close the light is.

I think Peat likes the clear ones more because the rest of the spectrum has benefits too. I enjoy both.

You can put the values into an online electricity cost calculator. Using the 250w lamp for 5 hours would cost me 35 cents.
Pennies! Was thinking starting cheap. Maybe one of each bulb and a single clamp housing or something. Do you use the red coated one evenings?

boris

Yeah, sometimes in the day too. I have a similar setup as you described, with a ceramic socket, and switching them around whenever I feel like it. I'm still thinking about where I'll install them permanently.

Peater Pan

Yeah, sometimes in the day too. I have a similar setup as you described, with a ceramic socket, and switching them around whenever I feel like it. I'm still thinking about where I'll install them permanently.
Is a ceramic hood preferable? Do you have a link?

boris

@Peater Pan Your lamp hood needs a ceramic socket (where you screw the bulb in) because they produce quite a bit of heat. Plastic sockets are only for up to 60w I think.

I have replaced my ceiling sockets with these to use small incandescents, I don't use any hood at the moment:
eglo-e27-fassung.jpg

But the PHILIPS bulbs, I use them in a mobile stand from an old photography light that I still had. When you're looking for a lamp hood just make sure it has a ceramic socket and can support the heat of a 150-300w lamp.

Peater Pan

@Peater Pan Your lamp hood needs a ceramic socket (where you screw the bulb in) because they produce quite a bit of heat. Plastic sockets are only for up to 60w I think.

I have replaced my ceiling sockets with these to use small incandescents, I don't use any hood at the moment:
eglo-e27-fassung.jpg

But the PHILIPS bulbs, I use them in a mobile stand from an old photography light that I still had. When you're looking for a lamp hood just make sure it has a ceramic socket and can support the heat of a 150-300w lamp.
Ceramic sockets. Got it! A stand like this? Looks like you could attach several lights to it. I guess those Phillips bulbs are already kind of directional in that they sort of have a mini 'hood' built in vs. a more spherical incandescent with extra hood (like Cliff's set up)?

boris

Last edited:

Peater Pan

Yes, they are kind of directional already. But my stand already has sockets build in.

Looking for reptile lamp fixtures you'll be on the safe side! Amazon.com : reptile fixture

The one with the clamp seems convenient it even has 2 sockets: https://www.amazon.com/Ninuo-Reptil...ywords=reptile+fixture&qid=1606701596&sr=8-11
61HLVG5VRWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Or the single version: https://www.amazon.com/OMAYKEY-Rept...ywords=reptile+fixture&qid=1606701596&sr=8-45
61rbOydpMrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
AWESOME. I like the double socketed one! Off to research…

CreakyJoints

Thank you for this.

I've often thought that the absorption peaks look a bit like harmonics/fundamentals in musical notes and that using multiple wavelengths simultaneously is probably not as effective as one or two carefully selected ones.

I've tried to ask Ray Peat about this a number of times, but perhaps I'm asking the wrong questions. Perhaps I'll cite this if I try again. This is my most recent attempt:

Q: I've not seen many satisfactory explanations yet as to why red light therapy or photobiomodulation seems to only work up to a certain point, after which the effects are significantly reduced, if not deleterious. I was wondering a lot about this in light of your recent newsletter about HSP. Is the issue simply a matter of overheating - and does this perhaps explain why strobing/pulsing light seems to enjoy a higher tolerance threshold? Why do you suppose there is a point at which effects are no longer noticed, what is the mechanism?

A: Red light of moderate wattage doesn’t warm the tissues enough to be harmful; its good effects are from restoring oxidative metabolism, and it just takes a short exposure to do that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals