Red Light In The Morning

stressucks

Even Dave Asprey is jumping on the red light bandwagon, saw this on facebook from an article on his website about fighting fatigue.

"
  1. Boost your brain with heat and light. Red light donates photons that your mitochondria can use to make more energy. Spending a few minutes under red light, especially in the morning, will get your mitochondria firing on all cylinders. It makes waking up much easier and can give you energy throughout the day. The best part? You don’t have to buy some fancy light machine. Get some $7 red LED light strips and stick them to the ceiling above your bed. When you wake up, pull off the covers and spend 5-10 minutes with red light shining on you. It’s best to be naked so the light hits as much of your skin as possible. And if you’re really struggling with fatigue, you can leave the red light on overnight and sleep with the covers off. Red light doesn’t inhibit melatonin, so your sleep won’t suffer, and you’ll be charging your mitochondria all night. Heat therapy using far-infrared saunas can also fight fatigue. In studies that evaluated heat therapy on the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome, patients stayed in an infrared sauna for 15-minutes, then rested under a blanket for an additional 30-minutes. They reported huge increases in energy, less pain and better mood. [5,6]
"

I had always thought of using red light at night to relax before bed as opposed to blue light.

Is it a good wakeup tool too??

Bulletproof red lights with upgraded diodes hitting the stores next week.

tankasnowgod

I had always thought of using red light at night to relax before bed as opposed to blue light.

Is it a good wakeup tool too??

Been using a lot more Red Light at all times of day. I does seem to make me tired and ready for bed pretty effectively in the evening.

When using it in the AM, it does not seem to make me tired, but I don't notice any sort of surge of energy, either. I use it with the other regular incandecents, so maybe it's a wash for me. I did notice this morning that is does give me time to adjust to the brightness of other lights. I wake up super early for work (about 4:30am), so take that into account.

Bulletproof red lights with upgraded diodes hitting the stores next week.

Ha, that's hilarious.

OP
S

stressucks

Not sure if I should use red lights as an alarm clock because it might wake me up in the middle of sleep cycle. I don't use an alarm but want to get out of bed more quickly.

GAF

"The red-light treatment participants received 30 minutes of irradiation from a red-light therapy instrument"

What does "irradiation" mean in the study? Is red light low level radiation?

Sucrates

"The red-light treatment participants received 30 minutes of irradiation from a red-light therapy instrument"

What does "irradiation" mean in the study? Is red light low level radiation?

Light is electromagnetic radiation. It just means they shone a red light on something.

Sucrates

So, radiation hormesis is legit up to a point?

If you mean Nuclear radiation, or ionising radiation, they're different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum. Nuclear radiation is ionising, red light is not.

"Gamma rays, X-rays, and the higher ultraviolet part of the electromagnetic spectrum are ionizing, whereas the lower ultraviolet part of the electromagnetic spectrum, and also the lower part of the spectrum below UV, including visible light (including nearly all types of laser light), infrared, microwaves, and radio waves are all considered non-ionizing radiation. The boundary between ionizing and non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation that occurs in the ultraviolet is not sharply defined, since different molecules and atoms ionize at different energies. Conventional definition places the boundary at a photon energy between 10 eV and 33 eV in the ultraviolet (see definition boundary section below)."
Ionizing radiation - Wikipedia

RobertJM

I hear this a lot but I don't know where people are getting this information from: High-intensity red light suppresses melatonin. - PubMed - NCBI . So don't shine too much into your eyes at night. Though I am a little suspicious of melatonin's actual role in sleep.

Your way off base there with melatonin. Melatonin will make you sleep. Buy a decent melatonin supplement and see for yourself. It’s a hibernation hormone, only needed in tiny quantities. It rises at night for a reason. Because it makes us sleep. We are probably all low in melatonin due to the EMFs that we are constantly bombarded with.

With the red lights, I have this comment to make. The red light I've bought from redlightman absolutely for sure gives me tiring effects. And yes, that’s full on eye exposure. In fact, the more it gets into my eyes, the more heavy my eyes become.

However, the ‘red lights’ that Ray Peat recommends (those heat lamp things), which I have as well, absolutely can cause insomnia and I find them too energising.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals