Red Light Dosing-- Biphasic Dose Response

TheDrumGuy

Those appear to be infared heat lamps correct? Is that the same as incandescent, even if they may tend to give off more heat?

Infrared lamps and heat lamps and ordinary light bulbs are all incandescents. Even halogen lamps are incandescents. The main difference is the filament temperature. Eg, the bulb Peat recommends has a temperature of 2700, which is lower than the ordinary incandescent bulbs you usually find in stores, which run closer to 2900. Also, his bulb is designed for 130V, so when run at 120V the temperature drops a little further to about 2600. The result is it gives off less red and blue, and more infrared. But the ratio of red:blue goes up.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

Infrared lamps and heat lamps and ordinary light bulbs are all incandescents. Even halogen lamps are incandescents. The main difference is the filament temperature. Eg, the bulb Peat recommends has a temperature of 2700, which is lower than the ordinary incandescent bulbs you usually find in stores, which run closer to 2900. Also, his bulb is designed for 130V, so when run at 120V the temperature drops a little further to about 2600. The result is it gives off less red and blue, and more infrared. But the ratio of red:blue goes up.

Thanks for the input. Lately I have had people warn me not to overheat myself with the infared bulbs. I was trying to find out whether the bulbs Peat uses are truly infared, heat lamps, or jsut colder incandescents. I see now that they are a bit colder, but perhaps to a marginal degree. I also will take his advice to use them for as long as I want tiwhout heating up too much (I think Peat had figurred this all out ahead of us) and that halogens are not great because they don't focus a spectrum that is very high in far red and infared light which provides most of the benefits.

TheDrumGuy

Yes, and with incandescents it's much harder to overdose on red light. I worked it out a while back, and IIRC the red light intensity of some of these LED's is like 20-100X what you get from 2-3 of Peat's bulbs. Just take a look at that thread where everyone is frying their balls lol. Much better in general to get a lower intensity over a longer period of time IMO.

However I would go a step further and make sure the light is not even warming the skin significantly. There is evidence that heating the skin causes skin aging, and even some conflicting research on infrared and skin. I use 2 bulbs and aim them so that the strongest parts of the beams are non-overlapping, and I set them up so that the front surface of the bulb is no closer than about 1m from my skin. I've found this prevents the skin temperature from getting much higher than body temperature.

The main disadvantage of incandescents is that you're always getting some blue, UV, and infrared, and you're getting some wavelengths that are not even present in sunlight.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals