Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

Amazoniac

- Wavelength- and irradiance-dependent changes in intracellular nitric oxide level

"This study provides several insights regarding light-mediated release of NO and how it may relate to PBM mechanisms. Our finding that multiple wavelengths of light caused release of intracellularly stored NO provides further support that other mechanisms are in play. This is particularly true since 447- and 532-nm wavelengths are rarely used for PBM. The existence of combinations of wavelengths that interfere (635 and 532 nm) or synergize (808 and 447 nm) with one another suggests that additional chromophores or sources of NO are likely. Our surprising finding that light-mediated (635 nm) NO release required pyruvate suggests that the metabolic state of the mitochondria may play a key role in how our cells respond to photostimulation. Overall, the results of this study support the conclusion that a simple model of light-mediated release of NO from COX is unlikely to explain the wide variety of PBM effects reported in the literature."​

- Electromagnetic spectrum - Wikipedia

pushkin

I have searched on the forum but not come up with much on this topic - please could anyone tell me if sitting in front of/looking into an open fire would have the same benefits as red light therapy? It just makes sense to me that pre-industrial people would have had the benefits of the fire's light (in addition to the heat) in the evening and night to help with sleep and all the other benefits red light therapy holds etc. Nature is such a wonderful and complete therapy system in itself and I feel that when humans replace nature's original design with their own inventions (lightbulbs etc.) that things start to go haywire.

I have a red light from Beurer which I have been using regularly but now the winter is drawing in, I was wondering whether sitting in front of/looking into my fire in the evenings would also help, and if so, does anyone know if the glass door needs to be open to get the best benefits? Thank you.

ddjd

What do you think of getting halogen light from "halogen heaters"? Those are cheap, have high wattage and easy to use.

Example : Amazon product ASIN B004GX8DECView: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prolectrix-Halogen-Heater-1200-Watt/dp/B004GX8DEC/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1362014596&sr=1-5

How would that compare to a halogen bulb?
This is my question also. I feel amazing after using this light we bought for my son during nappy changing. But I'm not sure if it's halogen or some other type??

Attachments

• 9ef12735_153818.jpg
    9ef12735_153818.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 22

jyb

Anyone have any feedback with parabolic reflective umbrellas - the setup used by photographers? I'm surprised I haven't found any match when searching the forum, because it looks like a powerful way to light up a room. I see many on Amazon, they don't seem to support high wattage so it wouldn't work with those big powerful incandescent bulbs, however perhaps a less powerful bulb is needed since less is wasted thanks to the reflection.

Just an example:
Amazon product ASIN B08GFT3XS2View: https://www.amazon.com/UB-130W-Parabolic-Reflective-Umbrella-Diffuser/dp/B08GFT3XS2

Dave Clark

Just wanted to mention also that there were studies somewhere that showed that meridian points on the body, when treated with red light, etc., will transfer that light to correlating body parts. So, with that in mind, I learned years ago before this stuff got popular that you can do that by applying red light to the palm of hand, bottom of feet, and ears, in particular, since they have many meridian points.
I find it easy with my Light works wands, but it can be done with any light device by directing the light at those points.

TheSir

@Dave Clark fascinating. I also had had the idea of combining foot reflexology with IR. Do you find different effects from blasting feet vs hands vs ears?

Dave Clark

@Dave Clark fascinating. I also had had the idea of combining foot reflexology with IR. Do you find different effects from blasting feet vs hands vs ears?
I have always done it that way, I don't have one of the 'whole body' size lights, so I use the paddles and do a 14 point treatment. I start with the palms of my hands, wrists, then ears, then third eye area on forehead, top of head, back of neck, front neck {thyroid area}, thymus area, solar plexus, naval, short one on groin sometimes, then bottom of feet. That is why I like the paddles on the SOTA Light works, I can chose NIR or Red light, or other colors, and place them around the body. If I have a body part like knew, back shoulder, etc. that I want to do, I just place the paddle directly on that area. I know most people like the square shaped lights or the light bulbs, but this system seems to work good for me. And now, since people have posted about green light, I am using that paddle to light up the room when I need it. This unit also delivers the Nogier frequencies, vibrations known to effect the cells:

Sapien

I'd be curious if anyone knows how silicone might affect the spectrum. I'm guessing it only effects a narrow part of it, if at all.
I can’t find any 250 w 130 v brooder bulbs (the one peat reccomended) without that “shatter proof” coating. Does anyone know if this product (or This ) would be fine , or if not where to order a 250 w 130v

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
Has red light and infrared light worked for anyone? I'm thinking about buying a pad I can lay on my thigh.

David PS

Has red light and infrared light worked for anyone? I'm thinking about buying a pad I can lay on my thigh.
It works for me. I noticed that the interest in red light and infrared light increases in the fall and winter. I use it year-round first thing in the morning to keep my circadian system in synch with the daylight. I shine the light on my abdomen in the hopes that it influences my gut microbes.

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
It works for me. I noticed that the interest in red light and infrared light increases in the fall and winter. I use it year-round first thing in the morning to keep my circadian system in synch with the daylight. I shine the light on my abdomen in the hopes that it influences my gut microbes.
Any recommendations for lights theres a lot of stuff out there to choose from? Definitely not interested in buying snake oil

David PS

I consider red light to be generic in that the same wavelengths will produce the same results. Near infrared (NIR) has the deepest penetration into the body.
The general rule is that the longer the wavelength the deeper the light penetrates into the skin. When the light wavelength further lengthens to the IR region, the penetration depth decreases again because water absorbs IR light.

1671584103432.png

I have an LED light unit with a combination of 660nm deep red LEDs and 850nm NIR LEDs. Here is a good thread that is still relevant in 2023.

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
I consider red light to be generic in that the same wavelengths will produce the same results. Near infrared (NIR) has the deepest penetration into the body.
The general rule is that the longer the wavelength the deeper the light penetrates into the skin. When the light wavelength further lengthens to the IR region, the penetration depth decreases again because water absorbs IR light.

1671584103432.png

I have an LED light unit with a combination of 660nm deep red LEDs and 850nm NIR LEDs. Here is a good thread that is still relevant in 2023.

Thank you

Mary Lyn

Hi!

I am wanting to try near infrared light therapy, and a company has sent me the following information which is a bit too geeky for me to understand so I wondered if anyone here can give a quick overview of whether it is kosha or not? Thanks.

"The bulbs we use are Philips InfraRed Heat Lamps. They emit in the Near InfraRed range, referred to also as IR-A, with a wavelength range between 780-1400nm. This is the Near InfraRed range.

IR-B - 1.4-3nm is the Medium Infrared Range, and IR-C - 3nm-1mm is the Far Infrared Range. As you will see below, the Philips bulbs that we use emit in the Near InfraRed Range.

Below is a citation from Philips' catalogues for their Infrared bulbs. I am also attaching the catalogue itself for your information, as well as a Philips Infrared Heat Lamp spec sheet.

" Infrared radiation in the IR-B (medium infrared: 1.4 - 3 µm) and IR-C (long infrared: 3 µm - 1 mm) ranges is absorbed in the top layers of the skin. Because of the low thickness of these layers, the result is a relatively strong heating effect with a high temperature up to the pain threshold at approximately 45°C being reached rapidly.

The shorter-wavelength IR-A radiation (780 - 1400 nm) has a greater penetrating power. This means that the heat is dissipated in a larger skin volume, creating a more pleasant and diffuse warmth. The Philips infrared heating lamps have a wavelength spectrum with a pronounced peak at approximately 1000 nm in the deep-penetrating IR-A range. This radiation characteristic makes them ideal radiant heat sources for treating deeper-seated muscular ailments and sports injuries."

1000nm is within the Near InfraRed wavelength range. In fact, its right in the middle of the Near InfraRed range.

file:///C:/Users/User/Documents/Sauna/Philips_Infraphil-PAR38E%20Specification.pdf

file:///C:/Users/User/Documents/Sauna/Philips%20Infra%20Red%20Lamps.pdf

https://www.lighting.philips.com/ap...pss-global/LP_CF_IHEALIR_EU.en_AA.PROF.CF.pdf

TheSir

Hi!

I am wanting to try near infrared light therapy, and a company has sent me the following information which is a bit too geeky for me to understand so I wondered if anyone here can give a quick overview of whether it is kosha or not? Thanks.

"The bulbs we use are Philips InfraRed Heat Lamps. They emit in the Near InfraRed range, referred to also as IR-A, with a wavelength range between 780-1400nm. This is the Near InfraRed range.

IR-B - 1.4-3nm is the Medium Infrared Range, and IR-C - 3nm-1mm is the Far Infrared Range. As you will see below, the Philips bulbs that we use emit in the Near InfraRed Range.

Below is a citation from Philips' catalogues for their Infrared bulbs. I am also attaching the catalogue itself for your information, as well as a Philips Infrared Heat Lamp spec sheet.

" Infrared radiation in the IR-B (medium infrared: 1.4 - 3 µm) and IR-C (long infrared: 3 µm - 1 mm) ranges is absorbed in the top layers of the skin. Because of the low thickness of these layers, the result is a relatively strong heating effect with a high temperature up to the pain threshold at approximately 45°C being reached rapidly.

The shorter-wavelength IR-A radiation (780 - 1400 nm) has a greater penetrating power. This means that the heat is dissipated in a larger skin volume, creating a more pleasant and diffuse warmth. The Philips infrared heating lamps have a wavelength spectrum with a pronounced peak at approximately 1000 nm in the deep-penetrating IR-A range. This radiation characteristic makes them ideal radiant heat sources for treating deeper-seated muscular ailments and sports injuries."

1000nm is within the Near InfraRed wavelength range. In fact, its right in the middle of the Near InfraRed range.

file:///C:/Users/User/Documents/Sauna/Philips_Infraphil-PAR38E%20Specification.pdf

file:///C:/Users/User/Documents/Sauna/Philips%20Infra%20Red%20Lamps.pdf

https://www.lighting.philips.com/ap...pss-global/LP_CF_IHEALIR_EU.en_AA.PROF.CF.pdf
Yes, near infrared is good.