I've been kind of following this guy, Prof. James Collins since he had some interesting perspective on antibiotics in a recent past. Eight years ago he was speaking about importance of sugar in antibiotic resistant bacteria. He said back than that using mannitol to carry the antibiotic substance into the cell or into the biofilm could be of great potential in developing better and improved antibiotics.

Now, very recently, his institute created some potentially awesome antibiotic by the help of AI.

Artificial intelligence yields new antibiotic

..This molecule, which the researchers decided to call halicin, after the fictional artificial intelligence system from “2001: A Space Odyssey,” has been previously investigated as possible diabetes drug. The researchers tested it against dozens of bacterial strains isolated from patients and grown in lab dishes, and found that it was able to kill many that are resistant to treatment, including Clostridium difficile, Acinetobacter baumannii, and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The drug worked against every species that they tested, with the exception of Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a difficult-to-treat lung pathogen.

To test halicin’s effectiveness in living animals, the researchers used it to treat mice infected with A. baumannii, a bacterium that has infected many U.S. soldiers stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan. The strain of A. baumannii that they used is resistant to all known antibiotics, but application of a halicin-containing ointment completely cleared the infections within 24 hours.

Preliminary studies suggest that halicin kills bacteria by disrupting their ability to maintain an electrochemical gradient across their cell membranes. This gradient is necessary, among other functions, to produce ATP (molecules that cells use to store energy), so if the gradient breaks down, the cells die. This type of killing mechanism could be difficult for bacteria to develop resistance to, the researchers say.

In this study, the researchers found that E. coli did not develop any resistance to halicin during a 30-day treatment period. In contrast, the bacteria started to develop resistance to the antibiotic ciprofloxacin within one to three days, and after 30 days, the bacteria were about 200 times more resistant to ciprofloxacin than they were at the beginning of the experiment.
The researchers plan to pursue further studies of halicin, working with a pharmaceutical company or nonprofit organization, in hopes of developing it for use in humans.

Optimized molecules

After identifying halicin, the researchers also used their model to screen more than 100 million molecules selected from the ZINC15 database, an online collection of about 1.5 billion chemical compounds. This screen, which took only three days, identified 23 candidates that were structurally dissimilar from existing antibiotics and predicted to be nontoxic to human cells.

In laboratory tests against five species of bacteria, the researchers found that eight of the molecules showed antibacterial activity, and two were particularly powerful. The researchers now plan to test these molecules further, and also to screen more of the ZINC15 database.

The researchers also plan to use their model to design new antibiotics and to optimize existing molecules. For example, they could train the model to add features that would make a particular antibiotic target only certain bacteria, preventing it from killing beneficial bacteria in a patient’s digestive tract.

“This groundbreaking work signifies a paradigm shift in antibiotic discovery and indeed in drug discovery more generally,” says Roy Kishony, a professor of biology and computer science at Technion (the Israel Institute of Technology), who was not involved in the study. “Beyond in silica screens, this approach will allow using deep learning at all stages of antibiotic development, from discovery to improved efficacy and toxicity through drug modifications and medicinal chemistry.”

OP
UG Krishnamurti
More recent study:
Assessment of the Antibacterial Efficacy of Halicin against Pathogenic Bacteria

Abstract​

Artificial intelligence (AI) is a new technology that has been employed to screen and discover new drugs. Using AI, an anti-diabetic treatment (Halicin) was nominated and proven to have a unique antibacterial activity against several harmful bacterial strains, including multidrug-resistant bacteria.

The new antibacterial agent was able to inhibit all tested gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial strains, but in different concentrations-including the A. baumannii multidrug-resistant (MDR) isolate. The MIC of halicin was found to be 16 μg/mL for S. aureus (ATCC BAA-977), 32 μg/mL for E. coli (ATCC 25922), 128 μg/mL for A. baumannii (ATCC BAA-747), and 256 μg/mL for MDR A. baumannii. Upon storage, the MICs were increased, suggesting instability of the drug after approximately a week of storage at 4 °C. MICs and zones of inhibition were found to be high (R = 0.90 to 0.98), suggesting that halicin has a promising antimicrobial activity and may be used as a wide-spectrum antibacterial drug. However, the drug's pharmacokinetics have not been investigated, and further elucidation is needed.

ThinPicking

Cool story but...

Mr Georgi called this elsewhere, I'm just here to endorse it. We should probably avoid using the technocracies "Artificial Intelligence" meme because the connotation is a lie. Instead we should call it what it really is. (Brute force or model based) statistical inferencing.

This technology will never really emulate human cognition and a turing test is really concerned with the stupidity or gullibility of the observer. People are at first dumb enough to believe the meme and then dumb enough to fail the test.

OP
UG Krishnamurti
Halicin seems to be decent against biofilms as well....

Halicin Is Effective Against Staphylococcus aureus Biofilms In Vitro

Conclusion: Halicin was as effective against S. aureus in less mature 3-day biofilms as those in planktonic cultures, but eightfold higher concentrations were needed for more mature 7-day biofilms.
Clinical relevance: Halicin is a promising antibiotic that may be effective against S. aureus osteomyelitis and infections on orthopaedic implants. Future studies should assess the translational value of halicin by testing its effects in animal models of orthopaedic infections; on the biofilms of other bacterial species, including multidrug-resistant bacteria; and in combination therapy with conventional antibiotics.

CORR Insights®: Halicin Is Effective Against Staphylococcus aureus Biofilms In Vitro

Good against Covid-19 too?

Abstract​

The rapid spread of COVID-19 has caused a worldwide public health crisis. For prompt and effective development of antivirals for SARS-CoV-2, the pathogen of COVID-19, drug repurposing has been broadly conducted by targeting the main protease (MPro), a key enzyme responsible for the replication of virus inside the host.

The in vitro potency test shows that halicin inhibits the activity of MPro an IC50 of 181.7 nM. Native mass spectrometry and X-ray crystallography studies clearly indicate that the nitrothiazole fragment of halicin covalently binds to the catalytic cysteine C145 of MPro. Interaction and conformational changes inside the active site of MPro suggest a favorable nucleophilic aromatic substitution reaction mechanism between MPro C145 and halicin, explaining the high inhibition potency of halicin towards MPro.

Last edited:
OP
UG Krishnamurti
Cool story but...

Mr Georgi called this elsewhere, I'm just here to endorse it. We should probably avoid using the technocracies "Artificial Intelligence" meme because the connotation is a lie. Instead we should call it what it really is. (Brute force or model based) statistical inferencing.

This technology will never really emulate human cognition and a turing test is really concerned with the stupidity or gullibility of the observer. People are at first dumb enough to believe the meme and then dumb enough to fail the test.

I don't care about semantics (a lot) to be honest. By looking at the study it was obvious that the term "AI" was used to point to some kind of mechanical assistance. They've input enormous amount of data in an AI system and made the system "get to know" the structure of all antibiotics, pathogens and natural compounds and then let the system try to figure out what structure would work best as an antibiotic.

I would trust calculator more than all of our brains put together when it comes to multiplying numbers together.

OP
UG Krishnamurti
I don't care about semantics (a lot) to be honest. By looking at the study it was obvious that the term "AI" was used to point to some kind of mechanical assistance. They've input enormous amount of data in an AI system and made the system "get to know" the structure of all antibiotics, pathogens and natural compounds and then let the system try to figure out what structure would work best as an antibiotic.

I would trust calculator more than all of our brains put together when it comes to multiplying numbers together.
Also after losing 20+ games to an "AI" in Dota2 and 100+ games in Chess I gained deeper appreciation for it xd

Last edited:

ThinPicking

The researchers certainly seem to care, conjuring a Hollywood image for their naming convention.

I could be cynical and say their model based statistical inferencing program is a black box. It's probably far more crude than they make it out to be and the purpose is likely desperation to find use this previously shelved "Halicin" molecule. I don't envy the active participants in trials to discover its true efficacy and side effect profile.

Personally I would trust plant based folklore more than calculator when it comes to repurposing synthetic amines.

OP
UG Krishnamurti
Personally I would trust plant based folklore more than calculator when it comes to repurposing synthetic amines.
I think people are dying today in great numbers because of infectious diseases. A lot of people here on the forum are still struggling after years of different natural and medical remedies. I would strive for balance between "plant based folklore" and a calculator, if possible. And if an "AI system" with all of it's human input points to a natural compound as a potent antibiotic wouldn't that give you a piece of mind? :)

And yet you can do things the NPC can't fathom.
NPC in those circumstances was created solely to destroy me in those games and his mission was accomplished quite successfully. I hope, now, we can use his vast potential to offer me some assistance instead :)

ThinPicking

You see, the problem is not the AI but people. If AI's job is to find the best compound - it will.

But we will nevertheless be at the mercy of the:
Would it be "the best compound" with isolated, in vitro style modelling. And could a model run on von neumann or even funky "quantum" style architectures be anything other than that. It could certainly give a pointer, but a human would have to set it up and take over.

Personally I don't consider people a problem but if I elaborate we'll probably wonder in to a philosophical hole.

OP
UG Krishnamurti
Would it be "the best compound" with isolated, in vitro style modelling. And could a model run on von neumann or even funky "quantum" style architectures be anything other than that. It could certainly give a pointer, but a human would have to set it up and take over.
It would be the best compound based on the information AI has. And the humans are "teaching" the AI system by inputting huge amount of databases. Those databases are all the informations written by humans during centuries :)

So basically an assistant. A slightly more intelligent calculator ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals