Type Of Sugar Often Found In Ice Cream Leads To Deadly Gut Infection

Badger

Oh doggone, I have to stop eating ice cream now? This is terrible! What to make of this horror?

"In the early 2000s, a deadly gut infection began to surge. After decades of lurking in intestines and hospitals—more opportunistic nuisance than lethal threat—the bacterium Clostridium difficile abruptly exploded, spreading rapidly and causing more severe diarrheal disease than ever before. By 2011, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that C. diff infected nearly half a million people in the US that year, killing approximately 29,000.

Two strains led the deadly reign: RT027 and RT078 (named based on the genetic code of their ribosomes, or “ribotype”). But scientists could only speculate as to why this duo was suddenly so menacing. At least one of them turned up with resistance to a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones, which contains ciprofloxacin among other common antibiotics. This fact led some researchers to suggest that the bacteria’s rise may have been linked to development of that drug resistance.

But scientists had identified fluoroquinolone resistance in C. diff back in mid-'80s. Why would it suddenly matter? There was another, cryptic factor at play, it seemed.

With a study published in Nature recently, scientists think they’ve finally figured out what that enigmatic element was—and it’s even more obscure than anyone may have guessed. It wasn’t some new weapon the bacteria acquired or a waning antibiotic. It was a boring, harmless sugar—one often found in ice creams. And its part of the story started back in the ‘90s in Japan."

Mysterious explosion of a deadly plague may come down to a sugar in ice cream
Mysterious explosion of a deadly plague may come down to a sugar in ice cream

shepherdgirl

Thanks for posting this! I was just thinking I should use up that ten pound bag of trehalose in my pantry...maybe not...

L

lollipop

Right?!?! Trehalose, why use it? Stick to nature: honey, white sugar, maple syrup, cane sugar.

There are many many good ice creams with just plain healthy ingredients sugar, cream, etc.

B-styles

Definitely stick to the natural sugars but could this really be from the sugar or from the diseased cows they use for milk !? My thoughts are the latter.

Birdie

I'm trying Aldi's
Right?!?! Trehalose, why use it? Stick to nature: honey, white sugar, maple syrup, cane sugar.

There are many many good ice creams with just plain healthy ingredients sugar, cream, etc.
My latest one to try is Aldi's. People here have recommended it a lot. I read all the labels and found the recommended vanilla one without "natural flavors" or gums or soy of whatever!! I like it as much as, maybe more than H-D. I was sad when Blue Bunny changed their ingredients in the vanilla bean one, but this one from Aldi's tastes better anyway.

L

lollipop

I'm trying Aldi's

My latest one to try is Aldi's. People here have recommended it a lot. I read all the labels and found the recommended vanilla one without "natural flavors" or gums or soy of whatever!! I like it as much as, maybe more than H-D. I was sad when Blue Bunny changed their ingredients in the vanilla bean one, but this one from Aldi's tastes better anyway.
Thank you for sniffing out Aldi’s! I will try it now :):

J

jb116

Aldi's ice cream is fantastic. A hagan daz equivalent but more for the money. NOTE: the actual brand is Specially Selected. Otherwise they do also carry other ones with junk in it.
Also there must be more to this than meets the eye. Trehalose is found in mushrooms and seafood. Peat has spoken about its benefits before.
Anyway I thought it was an odd article and I've never seen this sugar used in ice cream before.

Birdie

Aldi's ice cream is fantastic. A hagan daz equivalent but more for the money. NOTE: the actual brand is Specially Selected. Otherwise they do also carry other ones with junk in it.
Also there must be more to this than meets the eye. Trehalose is found in mushrooms and seafood. Peat has spoken about its benefits before.
Anyway I thought it was an odd article and I've never seen this sugar used in ice cream before.
Yes, I had to check all the labels and this was the only one that met our requirements.

And I like it better than Haagen-Dazs which was a surprise.

Birdie

Thank you for sniffing out Aldi’s! I will try it now :):
You're welcome.
I noticed my husband did not buy the Blue Bunny when he went to Wally's today.
He had balked at my making a special trip to Aldi's. Heehe, we'll see how he likes it when his supply of BB runs out.

lvysaur

Same, Peat has repeatedly endorsed it, and it is present in mushrooms. Also NEVER seen this on ANY ice cream ingredient list, unless maybe it's allowed to be omitted.

Birdie

Same, Peat has repeatedly endorsed it, and it is present in mushrooms. Also NEVER seen this on ANY ice cream ingredient list, unless maybe it's allowed to be omitted.
That's so ominous.

Fractality

I'm trying Aldi's

I haven't noticed a difference in the packaging or ingredients list for Blue Bunny in Southern California stores. Which part of the country are you located?

Birdie

I haven't noticed a difference in the packaging or ingredients list for Blue Bunny in Southern California stores. Which part of the country are you located?
Isn't that interesting! It has changed in the South.

shepherdgirl

Yes, I think he mentioned that it could help with weight loss. (i think it was mentioned in his newsletter on mushrooms). Trehalose is actually an amazing sugar for frozen foods. Popsicles made of plain juice become hard when frozen, but trehalose keeps them soft. I think somehow it helps plants to survive in the cold. It is a natural sugar from mushrooms (although i doubt the big bags of it are extracted from mushrooms). There is a lot of research about its potential health benefits - just one example:
Is trehalose an autophagic inducer? Unraveling the roles of non-reducing disaccharides on autophagic flux and alpha-synuclein aggregation

Peater Piper

Just wanted to give another thumbs up to the Aldi Specially Selected ice cream. I'm not a huge ice cream nut, so I was never willing to pay the exorbitant prices for Hagan Daz. After reading about the Aldi brand here, I decided to give it a try. Both the chocolate and vanilla are yummy. It does mention on the containers that they may contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, and soy, so anyone with an allergy or who is stringently avoiding those ingredients should probably steer clear.

Back
Top Bottom