MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat

I have a peach tree and am planting a nectarine tree this year. I had planted a nectarine tree at the same time as the peach tree, but it died. Now the area is more protected. The peach tree is very very productive, lol, I get overwhelmed... I make jam, preserves, canned peaches (histamines, sigh...) and froze peaches.
I was just talking about planting more fruit trees in my backyard, to a couple of people today, but I am just not sure if it is worth my larger water bill each month, and I have too many critters that would eat the fruit. I think I am just going seek out someone selling fruits they have canned, in glass mason jars.

lvanderb

I was just talking about planting more fruit trees in my backyard, to a couple of people today, but I am just not sure if it is worth my larger water bill each month, and I have too many critters that would eat the fruit. I think I am just going seek out someone selling fruits they have canned, in glass mason jars.
Yes, one of the good things about living in a more Northern climate and in suburbia, fewer critters. I have put bone sauce on my fruit trees to keep the rabbits from random nasty pruning and collaring the trees. I used dormant oil for the first year this year in the hope that my apples are less buggy/wormy.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Here is some easy math to remember:

Sugar + Fat = Fat (remember starches get converted to sugar so this equals baked potato with butter)

Sugar + Starch = Fat (this is sugar on top of sugar, aka cupcakes, and how diabetes happens)

To keep excess fat away, you want to stick to this formula.

Sugar + LEAN Protein = Fat Loss (this is the pairing fats with nonfats idea, example: nonfat milk with honey, fish or cheese with fruit, lean steak with Coke)

If I am having a starch I keep the rest of ingredients as low in fat as possible, examples:

-my liver tostado, I use as little fat as possible to fry my tostado in as well as the fat I fry my meat in. I use mozzarella which has 30% less fat and I dont use sour cream.

-A hamburger, I skip the mayo sauces, but have the cheese, pickle, mustard, ketchup and onion and have it lettuce wrapped with a small coke. No fries!

-pizza i will have a couple of bites with the crust (cause the crust converts to sugar, and then just eat the toppings from several pieces after that and throw away the crusts. If you want to stay away from the wheat, have a small coke with it, the toppings is more of that, bad, sugar + fat combo)

Most of the time I go starchless eating things mentioned below:

-I love to eat a pile of shrimp, and do weekly, just steamed and dipped in melted butter! That is a good "fats with nonfats" pairing. It is good to have a little fruit or honey before or a bit after that meal.

-my boil & broil, nearly fat free, wings I pair with a sugary or fruity sauce, and I eat a good amount of these in one sitting!

-a seasoned flat iron steak with sweetened espresso with a half cup of nonfat milk

-seared scallops with fresh tomato cream sauce or a lemon marmalade
and green onion sauce.

-my meatloaf with my pineapple ketchup topping is a favorite just by itself and needs no pairing except an espresso shot to block iron

-fried eggs in butter, seasoned salt and with Chinese 5-Spice and topped with green onion and coconut Aminos needs no pairings

-fruit infused water with a salty mozzarella is a favorite snack

So let's get busy and get that extra fat gone!
Thank you for taking the time to explain...
so I am i to understand that you prefer protein and sucrose combo?
Anything starchy is ought to be had on its own?
I find that i need a good 300 g of glucose per day or else I don't feel satiated.
If I follow through with the examples given here, I will stay hungry. I think starch helps me feel fuller. Not sure if am clear on this, but I wonder what your thoughts are.

Another thing is i prefer being vegetarian and relying on dairy and eggs for protein. Your thoughts and experience with milk as a potential driver of fatness?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for taking the time to explain...
so I am i to understand that you prefer protein and sucrose combo?
Anything starchy is ought to be had on its own?
I find that i need a good 300 g of glucose per day or else I don't feel satiated.
If I follow through with the examples given here, I will stay hungry. I think starch helps me feel fuller. Not sure if am clear on this, but I wonder what your thoughts are.

Another thing is i prefer being vegetarian and relying on dairy and eggs for protein. Your thoughts and experience with milk as a potential driver of fatness?
Hi Elie!

When I was heavy on the milk and meat with occasional starches, there was no deficit for my body to do anything, but maintain where it was at. Lowering fat helped get the ball rolling, but eliminating the heavy evening meal helped immensely, as did upping the calcium via milk. I find a little starch and fat to be more effective in losing weight than meat at night. Eating the bulk of my protein during the day with extra sugar sources keeps my energy up. If you are still hungry during the day, drink more milk and honey. Carefully choosing starches has enabled me to eat more of them without hindering my digestion, energy and sleep. I avoid hard to digest things at night like lettuce, raw fruit, nuts, meat and certain grains. I choose grains that are sprouted or low in carbs, maybe a buttered sweet roll made with coconut oil with only 15 starch carbs rather than rice. I choose the less starchy baby potatoes and boil the starch out of them rather than steam or roast them. My success I attribute to strategy more than avoidance. My thread linked below is my thoughts on that matter. The thing that you said that starch makes you feel fuller is the problem, we aren’t suppose to feel full, we are suppose to feel satisfied, and that situation is from the cravings, blood sugar drops and the obsession that is created around food. A healthy hungry is wonderful, and what you should strive for, not full.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Hi Elie!

When I was heavy on the milk and meat with occasional starches, there was no deficit for my body to do anything, but maintain where it was at. Lowering fat helped get the ball rolling, but eliminating the heavy evening meal helped immensely, as did upping the calcium via milk. I find a little starch and fat to be more effective in losing weight than meat at night. Eating the bulk of my protein during the day with extra sugar sources keeps my energy up. If you are still hungry during the day, drink more milk and honey. Carefully choosing starches has enabled me to eat more of them without hindering my digestion, energy and sleep. I avoid hard to digest things at night like lettuce, raw fruit, nuts, meat and certain grains. I choose grains that are sprouted or low in carbs, maybe a buttered sweet roll made with coconut oil with only 15 starch carbs rather than rice. I choose the less starchy baby potatoes and boil the starch out of them rather than steam or roast them. My success I attribute to strategy more than avoidance. My thread linked below is my thoughts on that matter. The thing that you said that starch makes you feel fuller is the problem, we aren’t suppose to feel full, we are suppose to feel satisfied, and that situation is from the cravings, blood sugar drops and the obsession that is created around food. A healthy hungry is wonderful, and what you should strive for, not full.
Thank you. I will check out that post.
Maybe "full" wasn't accurate. thing is, if i undereat in the evening I will wake up.
Anyways, I find your reflections on your experiences interesting so I'll continue exploring....

coffeelover

I am starting again. I am going to follow my 1700-1800 calorie plan strictly for 3.5 weeks (until our anniversary weekend trip). I'll take a couple weeks of "maintenance" (2100 calories for me) then go at it again for 4 solid weeks. (And repeat until I reach my goal) I'm following the meal samples from Kate Deering's book "How to Heal Your Metabolism." It's low starch and low fat. Dairy, seafood, fruit, coffee pretty much. I think this will help me keep it simple. I'm going to measure my waist and take pictures and log it here. Feeling really motivated right now!!! Wish me luck!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you. I will check out that post.
Maybe "full" wasn't accurate. thing is, if i undereat in the evening I will wake up.
Anyways, I find your reflections on your experiences interesting so I'll continue exploring....
In my sleep thread I talk about foods that are good for sleep and foods that are not, so you are wise to take your sleep into consideration. Sleeping well, finally, was another huge piece of my fat loss puzzle. Here is my link to the trials and errors I went through, as well as others, to getting our sleep issues resolved.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am starting again. I am going to follow my 1700-1800 calorie plan strictly for 3.5 weeks (until our anniversary weekend trip). I'll take a couple weeks of "maintenance" (2100 calories for me) then go at it again for 4 solid weeks. (And repeat until I reach my goal) I'm following the meal samples from Kate Deering's book "How to Heal Your Metabolism." It's low starch and low fat. Dairy, seafood, fruit, coffee pretty much. I think this will help me keep it simple. I'm going to measure my waist and take pictures and log it here. Feeling really motivated right now!!! Wish me luck!
I love pictures! Your other before and after pics in my “Lose Fat Not Pounds” thread really showed your progress! Your plan of attack with the foods is EXACTLY what I did. I am gonna say it again, be careful about the evening meals. I am rooting for you girl!

coffeelover

I love pictures! Your other before and after pics in my “Lose Fat Not Pounds” thread really showed your progress! Your plan of attack with the foods is EXACTLY what I did. I am gonna say it again, be careful about the evening meals. I am rooting for you girl!
Thank you!! I had a big glass of orange juice and a very salty boiled egg for early dinner. In a couple hours I'm having a little bit of low fat ice "cream" with some stewed apples. Today went well. Once I have a plan, it's so much easier to take action.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you!! I had a big glass of orange juice and a very salty boiled egg for early dinner. In a couple hours I'm having a little bit of low fat ice "cream" with some stewed apples. Today went well. Once I have a plan, it's so much easier to take action.
I am glad you took that meat out tonight. I like this night’s meal of yours. It is what I would be having. I am right behind you, having just squeezed, and strained, four sweet oranges. It sure doesn’t look like much in this giant glass, but it was a cups worth!

Attachments

• C443326D-DF2D-4E00-969D-58AC40792C52.jpeg
    C443326D-DF2D-4E00-969D-58AC40792C52.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 11

Elie

Forum Supporter
@Rinse & rePeat, in your experience, how important is it to limit fat intake for the purpose of fat loss?
Is it more about the amount of fat or is it more about avoiding starch?.
What I am really getting at is.... Sheep milk. I like sheep milk and can access it at a farm not too far away from the city here.
However, while it offer much more calcium and magnesium, it also deliver 6% fat.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, in your experience, how important is it to limit fat intake for the purpose of fat loss?
Is it more about the amount of fat or is it more about avoiding starch?.
What I am really getting at is.... Sheep milk. I like sheep milk and can access it at a farm not too far away from the city here.
However, while it offer much more calcium and magnesium, it also deliver 6% fat.

If I had to choose between the two, starch or whole milk, I would choose the milk because of the calcium. Ray Peat says calcium is essential for metabolism and weight loss, and I found it to be true, starch, he says will have a tendency to be stored as fat. Besides grains having anti-nutrients, destroying bones and teeth, without calcium, they also have an addictive factor causing more hunger and cravings.

Now that I don’t want to lose weight, my weight doesn’t fluctuate much having a lot of whole milk now, and a little starch at night, and that is what you don’t want, you want your weight to go down. If you cut out your meat, for awhile, and traded if for milk you could get away with the whole milk. You have to make deals with yourself to be able to enjoy eating and still lose the extra fat. Two cups of sheep milk and an ounce of chocolate would be my trade for a more traditional lunch, for some that would be a snack, and that would be a problem.

I have found that it is the complication of the meal that slows things down, as well as leaving too much unused food being stored eating too much too late, or too soon, before the next meal.

Elie

Forum Supporter
If I had to choose between the two, starch or whole milk, I would choose the milk because of the calcium. Ray Peat says calcium is essential for metabolism and weight loss, and I found it to be true, starch, he says will have a tendency to be stored as fat. Besides grains having anti-nutrients, destroying bones and teeth, without calcium, they also have an addictive factor causing more hunger and cravings.

Now that I don’t want to lose weight, my weight doesn’t fluctuate much having a lot of whole milk now, and a little starch at night, and that is what you don’t want, you want your weight to go down. If you cut out your meat, for awhile, and traded if for milk you could get away with the whole milk. You have to make deals with yourself to be able to enjoy eating and still lose the extra fat. Two cups of sheep milk and an ounce of chocolate would be my trade for a more traditional lunch, for some that would be a snack, and that would be a problem.

I have found that it is the complication of the meal that slows things down, as well as leaving too much unused food being stored eating too much too late, or too soon, before the next meal.
what would you consider a good target as far as fat intake goes and calorie deficit go?
If I am not mistaken you managed to lose weight without counting calories, right?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
If I am not mistaken you managed to lose weight without counting calories, right?
I did not count calories, and went by my hunger cues. Some days I wasn’t as hungry as other days. I just used less butter, skimmed my milk or blended whole raw milk with skimmed, didn’t eat much cheese, since it really is not satiating like the same amount of protein in milk, and is easy to eat too much of. I used raw honey between meals which helped me a lot, just having a spoonful of it and following it down with a half cup of milk.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I did not count calories, and went by my hunger cues. Some days I wasn’t as hungry as other days. I just used less butter, skimmed my milk or blended whole raw milk with skimmed, didn’t eat much cheese, since it really is not satiating like the same amount of protein in milk, and is easy to eat too much of. I used raw honey between meals which helped me a lot, just having a spoonful of it and following it down with a half cup of milk.
Helpful. thank you.
the pursuit continues.
Will do my best to follow your suggestions (and will likely reach out every now and then) ....

OP
Rinse & rePeat
what would you consider a good target as far as fat intake goes and calorie deficit go?
I lost weight, before ever finding Ray Peat, with less than 50 grams of fat. With fat low I don’t think the calories matter, as much as what they are made of do. Calories from protein at night, especially from meat is going to be more of a problem than milk. So I am not a believer of just calories mattering. Timing of foods made things easier for me to lose fat. If you eat a starch it is going to be converted to sugar for energy anyway, so why slow the body down having spend energy converting it, when you could just eat a spoonful of honey instead? The other thing that really makes a difference in my body quickly digesting my meals is keeping my liquids separate from my solids. Liquids dilute the digestive juices. So if I eat meat or starches I keep my liquids away from that meal for awhile, unless it is coffee or black tea, both with sugar, but no milk or juices.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Helpful. thank you.
the pursuit continues.
Will do my best to follow your suggestions (and will likely reach out every now and then) ....
I love that Elie! I enjoy feeling I am needed or part of something important or good.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“If the amount of ingested unsaturated fats (inhibitors of protein digestion) were lower, protein requirements might be lower.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Do you be it is possible to become depleted in unsaturated fats @Rinse & rePeat?
I don’t think we could be totally depleted, since everything has PUFA to some degree, and our body stores the PUFA, and uses the better fats first. One would have to have zero body fat to be totally depleted I would think.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals