MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When starch is well cooked, and eaten with some fat and the essential nutrients, it’s safe, except that it’s more likely than sugar to produce fat, and isn’t as effective for mineral balance.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Since cholesterol is the source of progesterone and testosterone (and pregnenolone, DHEA, etc.), and sugar increases it, having fruit rather than starch might increase the hormones. Those hormones, antagonistic to cortisol, can help to reduce waist fat.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Starch is less harmful when eaten with saturated fat, but it’s still more fattening than sugars.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“8. Oats (57.9%)

Oats are among the healthiest grains you can eat.

They provide a good amount of protein, fiber and fat, as well as a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. This makes oats an excellent choice for a healthy breakfast.

Moreover, studies have shown that oats can help you lose weight, reduce your blood sugar levels and lower your risk of heart disease (27Trusted Source, 28Trusted Source, 29Trusted Source).

Yet even though they are one of the healthiest foods and an excellent addition to your diet, they are also high in starch. One cup of oats (81 grams) contains 46.9 grams of starch, or 57.9% by weight (30).

19. Potatoes (18%)

Potatoes are incredibly versatile and a staple food in many households. They are often among the first foods that come to mind when you think of starchy foods.

Interestingly, potatoes don’t contain as much starch as flours, baked goods or cereals, but they do contain more starch than other vegetables.

For instance, a medium-sized baked potato (138 grams) contains 24.8 grams of starch, or 18% by weight.

Potatoes are an excellent part of a balanced diet because they are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, potassium and manganese (50).“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

Here is my lunch today, my 10 minute “Peaty” version of Chinese “Honey Walnut Shrimp”. The real version has the shrimp coated in cornstarch and fried crispy, and then tossed with the sauce. The sauce is usually made with condensed milk, honey and mayonnaise and the dish is garnished with candied walnuts. For my quick version, I sautéed the shrimp in butter and tossed it with condensed milk, honey, and lemon instead of the mayo. I thought about subbing in cream cheese and lemon for the mayo, but didn’t today. I would rather drink more whole milk for that same fat. I topped mine with salted macadamias, green onion and salt. The end result doesn’t look like much, but it is a quarter pound of shrimp. Here is a pic of when I made the real version, but with candied cashews, and todays version. I’m happy!

I got up at 6:00 and it is now 1:00, and between my gelatin before my coffee, large coffee with milk, sugar and salt, a 16-ounce glass of whole raw milk and this shrimp dish I have already had 55 grams of protein. I will probably have an Orange Julius in a couple hours, but more calories will come from dinner out tonight.

Attachments

• 12278307-5CBF-4FC2-914F-97A8715C3919.jpeg
    12278307-5CBF-4FC2-914F-97A8715C3919.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 06A64F5B-2858-4A5C-ABA6-D1C1C6683085.jpeg
    06A64F5B-2858-4A5C-ABA6-D1C1C6683085.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 284D8BEB-420A-404D-9D3C-A7463FDADC2E.jpeg
    284D8BEB-420A-404D-9D3C-A7463FDADC2E.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 7FAAAABF-D96C-4B36-BCBF-30F5C28EE418.jpeg
    7FAAAABF-D96C-4B36-BCBF-30F5C28EE418.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

coffeelover

UPDATE:

Here is my lunch today, my 10 minute “Peaty” version of Chinese “Honey Walnut Shrimp”. The real version has the shrimp coated in cornstarch and fried crispy, and then tossed with the sauce. The sauce is usually made with condensed milk, honey and mayonnaise and the dish is garnished with candied walnuts. For my quick version, I sautéed the shrimp in butter and tossed it with condensed milk, honey, and lemon instead of the mayo. I thought about subbing in cream cheese and lemon for the mayo, but didn’t today. I would rather drink more whole milk for that same fat. I topped mine with salted macadamias, green onion and salt. The end result doesn’t look like much, but it is a quarter pound of shrimp. Here is a pic of when I made the real version, but with candied cashews, and todays version. I’m happy!

I got up at 6:00 and it is now 1:00, and between my gelatin before my coffee, large coffee with milk, sugar and salt, a 16-ounce glass of whole raw milk and this shrimp dish I have already had 55 grams of protein. I will probably have an Orange Julius in a couple hours, but more calories will come from dinner out tonight.
This looks and sounds so yummy. Do you buy your shrimp fresh or frozen? Have you found a reasonably priced source? I always have trouble cooking shrimp from frozen because it releases so much water and takes forever to boil off. Any tips? I have been trying to eat shrimp weekly.

coffeelover

“Since cholesterol is the source of progesterone and testosterone (and pregnenolone, DHEA, etc.), and sugar increases it, having fruit rather than starch might increase the hormones. Those hormones, antagonistic to cortisol, can help to reduce waist fat.” -Ray Peat
I had a horrible cycle last month. It was bizarre. I ovulated late and had a bad cramps, then a terrible migrained along with nausea and vomiting. Stomach pains lasted for several days. It felt like my body was trying to ovulate but was having a hard time. I also had been feeling very cold and having low body Temps. I decided to try the Katharina Dalton method of including starch every 3 hours or so to support progesterone production (I know you recommend against this for weight loss but I decided this month that hormones are my priority right now) and I've been feeling so warm, happier, and more energetic. I'm wondering why I feel so much colder/tired/stressed when focusing on sugars and fruit /juice for my carbs rather than mixing that with some starch. Maybe this is the wrong thread for this comment but I am finding it interesting and confusing.

Ynot

UPDATE:

This looks delicious! (I'm usually very lazy and just have butter shrimp/prawns and dump some marmalade or honey on them but condensed milk + honey sounds awesome)
I'm sure you mentioned it here before but how do you take your gelatin?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This looks delicious! (I'm usually very lazy and just have butter shrimp/prawns and dump some marmalade or honey on them but condensed milk + honey sounds awesome)
I'm sure you mentioned it here before but how do you take your gelatin?
Condensed milk, honey, lemon and salt!

Hi Ynot! To answer your question, I just have the two tablespoons of the hydroluzed in water, and get it down while my coffee is brewing. I have it that way because the gelatin powders are high in histamines, so if I have it at night I get stuffy sinuses the next morning, and if I have it during the daytime my eyes look a little puffy. The antihistamine effect of caffeine, sugar and salt after having it in the morning keeps me normal. Any other gelatin source I have is from homemade bone broth.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This looks and sounds so yummy. Do you buy your shrimp fresh or frozen? Have you found a reasonably priced source? I always have trouble cooking shrimp from frozen because it releases so much water and takes forever to boil off. Any tips? I have been trying to eat shrimp weekly.
Hi coffeelover!
I buy my shrimp wild caught and frozen. I found it hard to find frozen shrimp that doesn’t have preservatives, which I can taste, even if I order shrimp from a restaurant. It is a really strange flavor. I buy mine online, and get free shipping with a minimum order from crowdcow.com. I have been with them for almost three years now. I trust them more than grocery stores and their prices are good on many items, especially catching a sale. I just soak my frozen shrimp in water for about 15 minutes, peel them and sauté in butter. If you were to deep fry them you would have to thoroughly defrost them in the water and pat them dry before cooking. Look on the back of your frozen shrimp package and see if they have preservatives. When they do the shrimp get all “mealy” and not crisp like wild caught without it….

“So what is it? It’s an additive—called sodium tripolyphosphate, or STPP for short—and it is used to make your seafood appear firmer, smoother and glossier. Seafood manufacturers may soak your seafood in a quick chemical bath of STPP in order to achieve these effects.

Some of the more commonly “soaked” seafood items include scallops, shrimp and anything filleted that’s very flaky—like hake, sole or imitation crab meat, Ms Logan continues.

If seafood is soaked for too long in an STPP bath, it may absorb more water, which means you’ll pay more for the product by the pound because the excess water makes it weigh more. A product may have been “soaked” with STPP if a milky white liquid oozes from the fish as you cook it, and it may also deflate in size a bit.”

Attachments

• 9F82EDAA-A1DC-4245-ABB2-332BA381FAE0.jpeg
    9F82EDAA-A1DC-4245-ABB2-332BA381FAE0.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 8B5A0AC0-3AD3-40A8-B683-571B602AB960.png
    8B5A0AC0-3AD3-40A8-B683-571B602AB960.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 8
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I had a horrible cycle last month. It was bizarre. I ovulated late and had a bad cramps, then a terrible migrained along with nausea and vomiting. Stomach pains lasted for several days. It felt like my body was trying to ovulate but was having a hard time. I also had been feeling very cold and having low body Temps. I decided to try the Katharina Dalton method of including starch every 3 hours or so to support progesterone production (I know you recommend against this for weight loss but I decided this month that hormones are my priority right now) and I've been feeling so warm, happier, and more energetic. I'm wondering why I feel so much colder/tired/stressed when focusing on sugars and fruit /juice for my carbs rather than mixing that with some starch. Maybe this is the wrong thread for this comment but I am finding it interesting and confusing.
I am sorry to hear you are having troubles. I read, and posted somewhere, that if you are hot you need liquids and when you are cold you need food. Winter is just not a great time for a lot of liquids. I would suggest more raw honey, by the spoonful, to pair with your proteins, rather than the juice, or sugar and salt in your milk. I’ll bet it will warm you up just the same as the starches. Have you considered sprouted grains. Ray Peat approves of them and says they aren’t even considered a grain when they are sprouted, and are more of a plant. They are easier to digest, have less starch and don’t leach minerals from the body. I buy this one, and even put it in the blender and pulse it into a flour to make cookies and other baked goods.

Attachments

• 981F6868-663A-48CB-9572-12F06FC53372.jpeg
    981F6868-663A-48CB-9572-12F06FC53372.jpeg
    593.4 KB · Views: 23
  • B210DCCB-764C-4D5C-90BA-82A582C9848D.jpeg
    B210DCCB-764C-4D5C-90BA-82A582C9848D.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 19
  • C78B0E4A-2BCA-4F15-81A1-30A6DE3E07CE.jpeg
    C78B0E4A-2BCA-4F15-81A1-30A6DE3E07CE.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 19
  • E4881CDC-8D3A-4F71-9B4A-A0CDA11FF3B4.jpeg
    E4881CDC-8D3A-4F71-9B4A-A0CDA11FF3B4.jpeg
    489.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 913C4F22-A866-44FC-90CE-75496F78E67A.jpeg
    913C4F22-A866-44FC-90CE-75496F78E67A.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 16
  • 5FE6AEED-670D-44E9-A487-AC8B4ECE41DC.jpeg
    5FE6AEED-670D-44E9-A487-AC8B4ECE41DC.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 2B8E5664-89AD-468F-B3AF-FBD495656F0A.jpeg
    2B8E5664-89AD-468F-B3AF-FBD495656F0A.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 23

coffeelover

I am sorry to hear you are having troubles. I read, and posted somewhere, that if you are hot you need liquids and when you are cold you need food. Winter is just not a great time for a lot of liquids. I would suggest more raw honey, by the spoonful, to pair with your proteins, rather than the juice, or sugar and salt in your milk. I’ll bet it will warm you up just the same as the starches. Have you considered sprouted grains. Ray Peat approves of them and says they aren’t even considered a grain when they are sprouted, and are more of a plant. They are easier to digest, have less starch and don’t leach minerals from the body. I buy this one, and even put it in the blender and pulse it into a flour to make cookies and other baked goods.
Interesting. Yes I do buy sprouted oats and bake with them sometimes. I've been making muffins lately with the flour from the sprouted oats. I have been having some raw honey but could try to have more in place of sugar? The only juice I've been having this week is fresh squeezed orange juice. We got a bunch of oranges from neighbors and it's the BEST. So sweet and not acidic at all like store bought. 😍
Overall, I've been feeling pretty good the past week and having energy to walk an hour most days...Just hope it continues. It's hard having to choose between hormone balance and faster weight loss...although I truly do think when my hormones are balanced, weight loss will be easier.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Interesting. Yes I do buy sprouted oats and bake with them sometimes. I've been making muffins lately with the flour from the sprouted oats. I have been having some raw honey but could try to have more in place of sugar? The only juice I've been having this week is fresh squeezed orange juice. We got a bunch of oranges from neighbors and it's the BEST. So sweet and not acidic at all like store bought. 😍
Overall, I've been feeling pretty good the past week and having energy to walk an hour most days...Just hope it continues. It's hard having to choose between hormone balance and faster weight loss...although I truly do think when my hormones are balanced, weight loss will be easier.
Remember that when you release your fat stores it is PUFA’s that are released and can really mess up your hormones. This may be exactly what is happening to you. So don’t be eager to lose weight fast, just be patient and consistent, avoid those splurges, they aren’t worth it. You don’t bounce back from splurges as easily as you will when your body isn’t bogged down with those stored PUFA’s. It is too much yo-yoing. Be consistent. Those oranges sound amazing! Are you using the peels? I love the peels in my milkshakes, baked goods, oatmeal, tea and on ice cream.

coffeelover

Remember that when you release your fat stores it is PUFA’s that are released and can really mess up your hormones. This may be exactly what is happening to you. So don’t be eager to lose weight fast, just be patient and consistent, avoid those splurges, they aren’t worth it. You don’t bounce back from splurges as easily as you will when your body isn’t bogged down with those stored PUFA’s. It is too much yo-yoing. Be consistent. Those oranges sound amazing! Are you using the peels? I love the peels in my milkshakes, baked goods, oatmeal, tea and on ice cream.
Thanks for the encouragement. In many ways I feel like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Need to stay consistent.
Yes! I made some candied orange peel!! It's very tasty! And the syrup that was leftover is great in coffee and my husband's whiskey sours. 😆

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks for the encouragement. In many ways I feel like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Need to stay consistent.
Yes! I made some candied orange peel!! It's very tasty! And the syrup that was leftover is great in coffee and my husband's whiskey sours. 😆
Oh nice! I have been wanting to make some candied orange peels, but still haven’t. I have made candied kumquats though, which I imagine would have the same benefits. Here is my pic of them!

Attachments

• 3A5E2C5B-A6CF-4B4B-B639-7526D716C042.jpeg
    3A5E2C5B-A6CF-4B4B-B639-7526D716C042.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 9
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Looks like kumquats are good for weight loss, and add in some Ray Peat sugar!

“The high fiber content of kumquat makes it perfect if you’re trying to lose some extra pounds. The high fiber makes your stomach walls stretch. The stretching of the stomach walls, in turn, has an adverse effect on the production of leptin and ghrelin, which are the hunger hormones of your body.

With a reduced concentration of these hormones in your blood, your hunger can be curbed and therefore allow you to consume fewer calories throughout the day.

In a particular experiment, polysaccharides isolated from kumquat inhibited the pancreatic enzyme that aid in lipid digestion. It suggests that eating Kumquat might slow down the absorption of guts. Moreover, kumquat increases the enzyme PPRA, which has shown to increase fat burning.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I posted this, below, just now in my “Lose Fat Not Pounds” thread…

When I first “set sail” to lose some fat, it was slow sailing. In hindsight I realize it was because my body was releasing a lot of stored toxic PUFA’s into my system, which was lot of work for my body to process and eliminate. Usually when people don’t see quick results they think nothing is happening and give up. I knew this was not true from a “Peat” perspective, because, as I said at the beginning this post, previously swapping fat for muscle, my scale never changed, but my body composition did. This last 10 pounds of fat loss, has me really burning through my calories much quicker now than before, which makes my requirement for more calories necessary, because I am not storing a lot of fat now. This is why Ray Peat says to first quit eating to lose weight. The body has way too much to sift through, so having periods throughout the day to let yourself get hungry is good, rather than be on a schedule. That hunger signal means your body got all caught up and can process again, rather that piling more on it’s burden with snacks and eating just because it should be about that time.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Fatter women are less likely to break bones than thinner women. Insulin, which causes the formation of fat, also stimulates bone growth. Estrogen however, increases the level of free fatty acids in the blood, indicating that it antagonizes insulin (insulin decreases the level of free fatty acids), and the fatty acids themselves strongly oppose the effects of insulin.” -Ray Peat

facesavant

Here is my new experiment today, orange peels! I mixed some in my two scoops of gelatin with whipped honey tea!

"Orange peels help increase your metabolism and burn fat from your body. Many medical experts recommend orange peels as a cure for weight loss."

"In addition, orange peel contains considerable amounts of copper, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A and dietary fiber."

I make orange marmalade and many times if not topping it on something I just eat it with a spoon.
However, sadly since peating I have gained weight. Even taking dessicated thyroid, eating marmalade, and topical progesterone.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I make orange marmalade and many times if not topping it on something I just eat it with a spoon.
However, sadly since peating I have gained weight. Even taking dessicated thyroid, eating marmalade, and topical progesterone.
I’m sorry to hear facesavant. Did gain wait eating this way from needing to lose weight?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals