Role Of Starch In Bodybuilding & Weight Loss Questions

Ron J

How's it going?
Some claims in regards to starch's role in muscle glycogen, muscle gains and weight(body fat) gain caught my attention. I weight-lift three times a week; usually I go with visual results, but I've made quite a few dietary alterations at once. I'm wondering if starch is necessary for muscle glycogen and gains, or does sugar take care of it? Is starch fattening or is it only in the presence of too much fat intake?
My lipid(mostly coconut oil) consumption is 16% of total calories.

Is starch fattening or is it only in the presence of too much fat intake?

It depends on your perspective. There are Peat quotes that do say it's fattening but then there are ones like this and this and this. Bodybuilding has more to do with lighting weights and absorbing enough protein, and if not natty then doing steroids. If 100% natty then follow transparent natty bodybuilders. You can get your glycogen in a few ways.

I'm wondering if starch is necessary for muscle glycogen and gains, or does sugar take care of it?

Only you can answer that through self experimentation. Remember that starch is sugar so when you say sugar I think you mean to say sucrose. There's also lactose. Starch, sucrose, fructose and lactose can all be used for glycogen but everyone has their bias as to which one is best. Sucrose doesn't have the co-factors.

OP
R

Ron J

It depends on your perspective. There are Peat quotes that do say it's fattening but then there are ones like this and this and this. Bodybuilding has more to do with lighting weights and absorbing enough protein, and if not natty then doing steroids. If 100% natty then follow transparent natty bodybuilders. You can get your glycogen in a few ways.

Only you can answer that through self experimentation. Remember that starch is sugar so when you say sugar I think you mean to say sucrose. There's also lactose. Starch, sucrose, fructose and lactose can all be used for glycogen but everyone has their bias as to which one is best. Sucrose doesn't have the co-factors.

Thanks for the reply. Thinking about adding white rice due to its price. It can replace some of the table sugar I eat, and wont have to supplement with manganese. I'd probably take turns between rice and potato.
Although, I am worried about lignins: "Lignins found in most grains do have anti-androgenic effects. One of the best known ones is sesamin but pretty much all grains have lignins similar to it." -haidut.

OP
R

Ron J

@Westside PUFAs
Also, yesterday I was reading some of Tyw's posts in regards to insulin secretion. I haven't read much about insulin, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any negatives aside from possible(if that's the issue) weight(fat) gain?

OP
R

Ron J

I could experiment with it, but it'll take time, that's why I asked.
In your opinion, what would be better, 300g of carbs coming from table sugar or 300g coming from white rice? Assuming my b vitamins are at least 300% dv, get enough magnesium and at least 100% dv potassium.

Tarmander

In your opinion, what would be better, 300g of carbs coming from table sugar or 300g coming from white rice? Assuming my b vitamins are at least 300% dv, get enough magnesium and at least 100% dv potassium.
Try it man, see what happens with a couple weeks on each. It's tough to answer which will be best for you .

J

James IV

My input: zero recovery problems using simple sugars. Actually find it difficult to get sore. But I don't train daily.

OP
R

Ron J

Try it man, see what happens with a couple weeks on each. It's tough to answer which will be best for you .
Didn't want to find out the hard way(body fat gain). First I'll see what happens on no starch.

@James IV "My theory is that the more pure an energy source, the less nutrition is required to process and utilize it. It seems a portion of the nutritional and energy value of food is used to process the toxins that come with that food, and other food as well. Pure sugar would therefore require little nutrition to utilize by itself.
I believe this is the reason most folks on Kempners Rice diet didn't developed nutritional deficiencies even after significant time on the diet.
Though, I'm only theorizing."
I'm now using 1 and a half cups of sugar in 48 fluid ounces of orange juice(with magnesium carbonate); I hope it's enough minerals/vitamins for the added table sugar.

Although, I am worried about lignins: "Lignins found in most grains do have anti-androgenic effects. One of the best known ones is sesamin but pretty much all grains have lignins similar to it." -haidut.

There is no perfect food. Remember that everyone has a bias in nutrition. Haidut has a bias against certain foods as do I. He once claimed that "beans" cause something called "methemoglobinemia" but the truth is it's only fava beans and it's not the fava beans, it's an rare enzyme deficiency called "favism" and it's caused by a G6PD deficiency (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency). So if you were to walk away from talking with Haidut about beans without doing your own research then you'd assume that about all beans.

@Westside PUFAs
Also, yesterday I was reading some of Tyw's posts in regards to insulin secretion. I haven't read much about insulin, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any negatives aside from possible(if that's the issue) weight(fat) gain?

I believe that insulin problems outside of being a T1D are primarily caused by having too much fat stored on your body and consuming a high fat diet.

I think the rice is better because it digest differently and is therefore completely different. Rice also has some protein and minerals unlike plain sugar, yes even white rice and yes Mg and K are important.

OP
R

Ron J

@Westside PUFAs
Thanks for the reply.
What's your main carb source? Starch I assume? If so, what is it?
"I think the rice is better because it digest differently and is therefore completely different." Can you elaborate more on why it's better? And what do you mean by "completely different"? Something else aside from the insulin spike?

OP
R

Ron J

Also, I was thinking about adding some brewer's yeast to the sweetened OJ for the B-vitamins. Unless I decide to go with starch and the daily 48 fluid ounces of OJ.

Motorneuron

I have yet to find a bodybuilder who eats only sugar as a carbohydrate source

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals