Medicinal, Nutritional Value Of Citrus Skins

DMF

I frequently cook with the skins/rinds of lemons & limes as well as grapefruit, atop of broiled fish, and in rice/lental dishes. Do these skins have any good health value? The oil in them is highly flammable if you squeeze them over a match.

paymanz

Yes they contain various beneficial substances , ray likes them.

I personally only worry about pesticides residuals on them.

Also i read that in high amounts they can have a anti vitamin A effect.(but I'm not sure about this)

And me too interest to know that flammable thing in them can effect the body...

Dragon

... The oil in them is highly flammable if you squeeze them over a match.

talk about inflammatory behaviour....crazy f*ckin peaters...burn the damn house down... :lol:

fwiw, my wife (with breast cancer) puts them in her kale/fruit/carrot/celery smoothies...that is to say, she just drops the whole sliced wedges of orange/lemon/limon into the blender, (washed) skin and all.

“When I get sour oranges I make marmalade from the peels, if they are organic. Shred, soak, cook slowly simmering in water for about an hour before adding sugar, and letting that simmer without boiling until it thickens a little. When it’s cool it thickens more. The peels are rich in antiinflammatory chemicals, more than the juice, and the marmalade is a good way to get sugar with the cottage cheese or parmesan.“ -Ray Peat

Orange juice contains the antiinflammatory chemicals naringin and naringenin, which protect against endotoxin by suppressing the formation of nitric oxide and prostaglandins (Shiratori, et al., 2005).”-Ray Peat

“Orange juice contains naringenin which is effective against melanoma, and guavas contain apigenin, also effective. A diet consisting of milk, orange juice, guavas, cheese, and some eggs, liver, and oysters, with aspirin would be protective against the spread of the tumor.” -Ray Peat

“Substances that inhibit inflammation are likely to also inhibit excessive collagen synthesis, serotonin secretion, and the formation of estrogen. Besides aspirin, some effective substances are apigenin and naringenin, found in oranges and guavas. These flavonoids also inhibit the formation of nitric oxide and prostaglandins, which are important for inflammation and carcinogenesis (Liang, et al., 1999).” – from his article ‘The Cancer Matrix‘

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals