Maximise Your Free Testosterone Levels

Drareg

Fats, functions and malfunctions.

The movement of proteins from the plasma into cells has often been denied, but there is clear evidence that a variety of proteins, including IgG, transferrin haptoglobin, and albumin can be found in a variety of cells, even in the brain (Liu, et al., 1989). Cells are lipophilic, and absorb molecules in proportion to their fattiness; this long ago led people to theorize that cells are coated with a fat membrane.

While the competition by PUFA for protein binding sites blocks the effects of thyroid hormone and vitamin A, the action of PUFA on the sex steroid binding protein (SBP, or SSBG, for sex steroid binding globulin) increases the activity of estrogen. That's because the SSBG neutralizes estrogen by binding it, keeping it out of cells; free PUFA keep it from binding estrogen (Reed, et al., 1986). People with low SSBG/estrogen ratio have an increased risk of cancer. When the SSBG protein is free of estrogen, it is able to enter cells, and in that estrogen-free state it probably serves a similar protective function, capturing estrogen molecules that enter cells before they can act on other proteins or chromosomes. Transthyretin, the main transporter of thyroid and vitamin A, and albumin (which can also transport thyroid hormone) are both able to enter cells, while loaded with thyroid hormone and vitamin A. Albumin becomes more lipophilic as it binds more lipid molecules, so its tendency to enter cells increases in proportion to its fat burden. Albumin in the urine is a problem associated with diabetes and kidney disease; albumin loaded with fatty acids passes from the blood into the urine more easily than unloaded albumin, and it is the fatty acids, not the albumin, which causes the kidney damage (Kamijo, et al., 2002). It's possible that SSBG's opposite behavior, entering cells only when it carries no hormones, is the result of becoming less lipophilic when it's loaded with estrogen.

Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud

The specific binding of T3 to albumin alters the protein's electrical properties, changing the way the albumin interacts with cells and other proteins. (Albumin becomes electrically more positive when it binds the hormone; this would make the albumin enter cells more easily. Giving up its T3 to the cell, it would become more negative, making it tend to leave the cell.) This active role of albumin in helping cells take up T3 might account for its increased uptake by the red cells when there were fewer cells in proportion to the albumin medium. This could also account for the favorable prognosis associated with higher levels of serum albumin in various sicknesses.

Natural Estrogens

Ann N Y Acad Sci 1988;538:257-264 Possible relevance of steroid availability and breast cancer. Bruning PF, Bonfrer JM Netherlands Cancer Institute (Antoni van Leeuwenhoekhuis), Amsterdam. “The as yet circumstantial evidence for a central role of estrogens in the promotion of human breast cancer is supported by many data. However, it has not been possible to identify breast cancer patients or women at risk by abnormally elevated estrogen levels in plasma. The concept of available, i.e., non-SHBG bound sex steroid seems to offer a better understanding than total serum steroid levels do. We demonstrated that sex steroid protein binding is decreased by free fatty acids.”

Where he bolded the last part of the citation. So it seems he thinks SHBG should be as high as possible to keep estrogen out of cells, and that it actually enters cells when it is unloaded, unlike albumin. He doesn't say anything about androgens on SHBG but if he claims it's less lipophilic when loaded with estrogen, I don't see why he wouldn't say it becomes more lipophilic when it's loaded with androgens.

"Where he bolded the last part of the citation. So it seems he thinks SHBG should be as high as possible to keep estrogen out of cells, and that it actually enters cells when it is unloaded, unlike albumin. He doesn't say anything about androgens on SHBG but if he claims it's less lipophilic when loaded with estrogen, I don't see why he wouldn't say it becomes more lipophilic when it's loaded with androgens."

This is interesting about the lipohilic nature of it without estrogen.
I was curious if the description of SHBG was correct because the lowering of it doesn't necessarily increase the appearance of androgens via libido etc. The effect seems to be temporary then wears off.
Could this be from released estrogen? Highly unlikely if you supplement vitamin E and DHT?
Keeping in mind the substances mentioned could influence libido via other avenues.

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster
Im using the carbonate yea

They say magnesium carbonate mixed with glycine is absorbed very well
Donno if thats true

I will try mg chloride also
Some react poorly to mag chloride, and magnesium supplements in general.

Coffee (even decaff) is a good source, as is orange juice, dairy, kale leaves (you just need to drink the broth, not eat the leaves), and chocolate (an okay source.) Molasses also has quite a bit of magnesium in it.

"Where he bolded the last part of the citation. So it seems he thinks SHBG should be as high as possible to keep estrogen out of cells, and that it actually enters cells when it is unloaded, unlike albumin. He doesn't say anything about androgens on SHBG but if he claims it's less lipophilic when loaded with estrogen, I don't see why he wouldn't say it becomes more lipophilic when it's loaded with androgens."

This is interesting about the lipohilic nature of it without estrogen.
I was curious if the description of SHBG was correct because the lowering of it doesn't necessarily increase the appearance of androgens via libido etc. The effect seems to be temporary then wears off.
Could this be from released estrogen? Highly unlikely if you supplement vitamin E and DHT?
Keeping in mind the substances mentioned could influence libido via other avenues.

I think it's probably it, at least according to Ray Peat. It would be probably more interesting to see the total T vs free T ratio, rather than SHBG.

DaveFoster

TubZy

I didn't see a herb list on there, but here is a pic of all the herbs I tried (mainly all of them are pro T and DHT, anti prolactin etc.). Pine pollen is one of my favorites..it contains androsterone too. I also like tongkat ali extract as long as you get a good standardized extract. Both of them are pretty pro peat anyways (anti cortisol, anti estrogenic).

Shilajit is also pretty peat friendly (anti serotonin, anti prolactin, pro T etc.)

I used to cycle a different herb each day to get rid of any potential tolerance issues. I haven't used herbs in months now though since switching to pregnenolone. I think the effects could be potentiated w/ pregnenolone..

Also from my experience boron made me feel worse.

Bp6cQfx.jpg

TubZy

@TubZy Pregnenolone has replaced all the herbs you used to take? What effects have you seen from it?

Well in my case just increasing DHT/T is only part of the puzzle of recovering from fin. Finasteride depletes the neurosteroids (preg/allopreg/progesterone etc.) the most which really stems the issue hence why I switched to high doses of pregnenolone instead of just treating it further down the chain (like DHT, T) which is what the herbs are good for. The herbs can only do so much (if anything) in terms of the neurosteroid part which is why I stuck to preg.

The herbs helped big time on the sexual side, but not much mental areas (like allopreg). I only replaced the herbs with preg b/c I felt better both mentally and physically. Although, I haven't tried herbs + preg. I think that could be a good combo. Some herbs can increase DHEA like siberian ginseng so could be similar to the preg+dhea combo or the preg+ dhea + androsterone combo.

T

tca300

Epsom Salt baths with baking soda added or foot soaks are a good way to get magnesium. As long as you dont submerge your gens in hot water. I do 30+ min foot soaks almost every night.

TubZy

Oh damn... does it work?

Yeah, preg did a pretty good job of restoring some of it but 5a-DHP hits it way more direct feeling. Feels very similar valium/xanax. I love allopreg/GABA- you don't really appreciate something until it's not there. I feel much better mentally now. You should try it- it's not expensive. Just don't take before bed (makes it hard to fall asleep ironically lol).

Parsifal

I didn't see a herb list on there, but here is a pic of all the herbs I tried (mainly all of them are pro T and DHT, anti prolactin etc.). Pine pollen is one of my favorites..it contains androsterone too. I also like tongkat ali extract as long as you get a good standardized extract. Both of them are pretty pro peat anyways (anti cortisol, anti estrogenic).

Shilajit is also pretty peat friendly (anti serotonin, anti prolactin, pro T etc.)

Do you know what in Shilajit would have this effect? Are there any studies on this? I think that Peat doesn't like fulvic acid.

From what I've read, we don't know how Tongkat Ali works and if it really works?

haidut

Forum Supporter
The problem with lowering SHGB is that it increases both T and estrogens. I wonder how to directly reduce estrogen production, not just by lowering aromatase.

In one sentence - keep stress/inflammation low and thyroid high. Most of the estrogen is produced peripherally from DHEA, and DHEA is produced by adrenals. Stress increase adrenal function and cortisol/DHEA. The higher your thyroid function, the higher your gonadal function and the lower your adrenal function should be thus leading to lower cortisol and DHEA. Low cortisol will also keep aromatase relatively inactive.

Have sex everyday
Stay away from any routine
Routine cause depression
Depression destroy libido and stamina

Fuxkkk for god sake

Syncopated

Total T is meaningless. 70% of my total T was unavailable. Have your doctor run an RIA testosterone test for free T. Another name for this test is the analog free T test.

I agree, thyroid and aspirin should be added to the list.

Thanks for the nettle root information.

Sex every day is definitely not recommended. The real secret to increasing T is to NOT EVER release your seed(no masturbating) if your single, and only love your wife when she is ovulating. This means the use of condoms (2) to ensure safety if need be as estrogen contraceptive pills are terrible.

Syncopated

In one sentence - keep stress/inflammation low and thyroid high. Most of the estrogen is produced peripherally from DHEA, and DHEA is produced by adrenals. Stress increase adrenal function and cortisol/DHEA. The higher your thyroid function, the higher your gonadal function and the lower your adrenal function should be thus leading to lower cortisol and DHEA. Low cortisol will also keep aromatase relatively inactive.

Good!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals