Riboflavin, A Testosterone 5 Alpha-reductase Inhibitor

baccheion

I believe in a recent KMUD interview, Dr. Peat mentions riboflavin as having a profound almost instant effect on men with very ruddy faces, or rosacea. But it doesn't last. He said the diet can be rebuilt around steadily increasing dosages of B2 and that over time that fixes the problem permanently.

This in response to a guy (probably someone here, someone very smart) who asked why men often have very red faces. Something I noticed too.
Riboflavin is said to lower DHT. Is this not seen as problematic? How does riboflavin achieve the "face-lift" effect? By recycling glutathione?

LeeLemonoil

I remember reading about a study on chimpanzees with acne and other similar inflammatory skin lesions.
They were given retinol in doses supposed and demonstrated to heal/better the lesions, but were intentionally given a b2-void diet. Even zinc and B6 in addition to retinol didn’t better the conditions. When B2 was reintroduced healing began quickly so it was then considered a necessary co-factor of Retinol.

Also, Peat talked about B2 in pathologies of corneal cells. B2 deficiency caused „gel hysteresis“, meaning weak, deformed corneas. Maybe keratocytes in skin are also suspect to b2-defiency and form a weaker barrier or something thus contributing to ruddy, inflamed faces

Whichway?

I've tried iodine protocols off and on for years and nothing but nothing.

After 15 months of high dose B2 daily, I smell like fresh sunshine not dead fish.

My GF confirms this. Every time I try to cut back on B2, I regret it and am glad when i crank it back up.

Do you take it along with other B vitamins to balance it out, or on its own?

GAF

My theory is that a shortage of B2 causes many collagen problems, not just cornea collagen issues. For example, ehlers danlos syndrome. B2 shortage at just the wrong stage of development leaves collagen immature and then it never matures at basic B2 levels from normal diet.

This immature collagen issue can also be passed down to the baby thus making it appear that EDS is genetic.

Cornea docs figured out that if you bathe the cornea collagen in B2 and UV light, the collagen will mature. If it works with cornea collagen, why wont it work throughout the rest of the body?

GAF

Do you take it along with other B vitamins to balance it out, or on its own?

Can't remember. I am an amateur fake scientist, so my methods are borderline maniac, not all that methodical. All I know is that since reading brownlow's book probably back in the 90's, zero effect from lugols.

Whichway?

Can't remember. I am an amateur fake scientist, so my methods are borderline maniac, not all that methodical. All I know is that since reading brownlow's book probably back in the 90's, zero effect from lugols.

Sorry. Didn’t communicate clearly. I was asking do you take the B2 along with other B vitamins? Wasn’t worried about the iodine.

GAF

Oh. I took B1 and B3 regularly before starting the high dose experiment and occasional B6 and that continued after. It was the B2 that made the dramatic difference. From my research, it appears that B2 is foundational for lots of other processes. I dont think that most people would notice dramatic differences from high dose B2, but many over 60, 70, 80 yrs old would and those people with collagen defects at any age over zero.

baccheion

Oh. I took B1 and B3 regularly before starting the high dose experiment and occasional B6 and that continued after. It was the B2 that made the dramatic difference. From my research, it appears that B2 is foundational for lots of other processes. I dont think that most people would notice dramatic differences from high dose B2, but many over 60, 70, 80 yrs old would and those people with collagen defects at any age over zero.
Do you also take a B-complex? Taking a B vitamin in isolation is usually not a good idea.

GAF

I have, many different times over many different years. ZERO impact.

For me at least, that idea is not true.

LeeLemonoil

It’s actually a good idea. B2 is needed to „activate“ or to assist the primary physiological functions of most other Bs. If you take a B-complex the B2 included is most likely easily „used up“ by the Bs, so isolated bigger doses are required for B2 to act.

@GAF do you have/had problems with your cornea and did it better in any way with B2? Thanks!

baccheion

It’s actually a good idea. B2 is needed to „activate“ or to assist the primary physiological functions of most other Bs. If you take a B-complex the B2 included is most likely easily „used up“ by the Bs, so isolated bigger doses are required for B2 to act.

@GAF do you have/had problems with your cornea and did it better in any way with B2? Thanks!
I'm suggesting larger amounts of any B vitamin should be accompanied by a b-complex.

LeeLemonoil

In the case of B2-defiency it's the other way round. B-complexes should be accompaned by large amounts of B2 for the reasons I stated

baccheion

In the case of B2-defiency it's the other way round. B-complexes should be accompaned by large amounts of B2 for the reasons I stated
Even 2.5 mg (and maybe even less) is enough to activate other B vitamins. Riboflavin has a very short half-life. Any deficiency should take little time to correct. There are active b-complex formulations (R-5'-P, P-5'-P, 5-MHTF, methylcobalamin, etc) if that concerned about B2 depletion.

Orion

Any deficiency should take little time to correct.

Anecdotal posts on other forums via bloodtests and some really old studies show that B2 repletion takes months and high dose saturation helps with this.

Dr Peat said the same thing. Takes a gradual increase in B2 over time to correct health problems. See my earlier post.

Orion

Can you provide links to some of them?

Some anecdotal posts are on phoenix rising forum, using the fat soluble forms to get blood levels up, takes month. I don't have the old studies, believe it was from when the Bs were being discovered decades ago.

leomessiasdf

This was talked about before, according to haidut this study was in vitro and the 5ARi effect was not seen in vivo so it is irrelevant
sorry to bump this super old thread, but i have been looking for a study confirming this and have been unable to find it. does anyone know where it is?

D

Deleted member 5487

Riboflavin is said to lower DHT. Is this not seen as problematic? How does riboflavin achieve the "face-lift" effect? By recycling glutathione?

That face lift effect is a reduction in sertonin increasing skin flow to the small muscles of the skin/face.

It's happens with pregnenolone and others. Most people walk around in a serotonin stupor.

Arnold Grape

That face lift effect is a reduction in sertonin increasing skin flow to the small muscles of the skin/face.

It's happens with pregnenolone and others. Most people walk around in a serotonin stupor.
I believe this is true - as a corollary, the effects of highish b2 felt similar in some ways to taking Cypro. However, after approximately 6 weeks I began having negative psychological effects to and energy loss, so I don’t know what gives? I actually am beginning to wonder if Peat is right about everything. Intolerance to sunlight rings true, for one.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals