Is 2000mg calcium REALLY needed?

Sapien

Just to be clear, the low lifespan is problematic because the Maasai are a living study of high calcium intake, but this is the best explanation for it being low with the calcium being so high that I've heard.
I have never heard the massai as an argument agaisnt calcium (though I did buy into the low calcium thing until peat cause it “causes calcification”)

However I have often heard the massai used as an example by vegans as why a high saturated fat diet is not healthy (frank tufano vs vegan gains)

Originally I did theorize that this was due to high calcium when frank tufano had me brainwashed that calcium was harmful

They do gave low lifespan and high incidcen of athroscleosis , but yeah I think that’s probably due to high iron- ray has often said how iron contributes to athroscleosis/heart disease

(Bovine) Blood has 10x as much iron as meat and the massai drank a ton of it

youngsinatra

You don’t need to believe anyone. You can test your PTH and see where it‘s. Then you can adjust and make dietary changes. I personally think the RDA level of ~1000mg is good enough for most.

cjm

You don’t need to believe anyone. You can test your PTH and see where it‘s. Then you can adjust and make dietary changes. I personally think the RDA level of ~1000mg is good enough for most.

"An adequate supply of calcium, and sometimes supplementation of salt and baking soda, can increase the tissue content of CO2." Protective CO2 and aging

I think there can be added benefits to taking the biggest tolerable amount, a superadequate supply, if you will, which is probably a max of around 7 grams. Between milk* and eggshell it is surprisingly easy to obtain.

*Edit: I meant kefir specifically because I've been enjoying 6 cups of Lifeway daily, the one they sell at the grocery store for $4/quart, and it's got a bit more calcium than milk, 390 vs 300 mg per cup

Last edited:

peter88

The calcium in dairy isn’t agreeable with me while I can feel calcium’s benefits from mineral water and egg shell calcium. 1500mg feels like the sweet spot for me.

Tzheng2012

One interesting supplement I learned about recently was Calcium Ions Powder. It’s different than the liquid ionic calcium you can normally get. Apparently mixing the calcium ion powder with water generates something which ionic calcium has lost because it’s been sitting out.

It’s basically really small calcium particles which get absorbed very easily and used for almost all sorts of problems. I know people who take it for almost anything like fever, dehydration, gas and bloating. Never tried it myself yet though

@Sapien So we can rest assured that excess dietary calcium does not cause calcifications?

Sapien

@Sapien So we can rest assured that excess dietary calcium does not cause calcifications?
In rays articles on calcium he talks about a counter intuitive mechanism by which the absence of dietary calcium leads to soft tissue calcification
In biology and biochemistry, calcium is the substance most often studied, so it is significant that researchers still speak of a calcium paradox.
There are several such paradoxes: As bones lose calcium, the soft tissues calcify; when less calcium is eaten, blood calcium may increase, along with calcium in many organs and tissues; if an organ such as the heart is deprived of calcium for a short time, its cells lose their ability to respond normally to calcium, and instead they take up a large, toxic amount of calcium.

Apple

No civilization except the masai tribe has ever consumed that much calcium and their life expectancy is 45 years old for women and 42 for men, which of course can't be only explained by their calcium intake but makes a case that very high calcium intake isn't a life extender or essential, and high igf-1 is probably another reason.

All of the world's blue zones consume more phosphate than calcium. Even if calcium doesn't surpass phosphate, it still can significantly reduce pth.

Milk is very high in phosphate, and even if it makes up with higher calcium, high phosphate intake is hard on the kidneys. 2 quarts of milk contain 1800mg of phosphate, for only 60g of protein. In comparison, 60g of beef protein contain about 450mg of phosphate.

There's few naturally occuring ways to consume/absorb a lot of calcium except milk, and milk isn't naturally consumed by adults of any specie. It is the one food that promotes growth (igf-1) more than any other food. Great for bodybuilders and athletes.

Personally, I think it is best to consume less phosphate so you don't need as much calcium. For instance, an all-fruit diet probably contains enough calcium and protein for any vegan specie.
Indians consume a lot of milk... Plus there's some evidence that curcumin has some life-shortening effects.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 24967/full (dna damage, ros, and I think it's estrogenic)

I do like igf-1, it's pretty good for young people but promotes cancer as you get older. a study finds it correlates with social status, I don't know if it's only because it makes people taller and tall people are usually more respected but I like to think there's other aspects to it (cause I'm not gonna grow anymore lol).

about your other post : igf-1 doesn't fluctuate like growth hormone. While igf-1 depends on growth hormone's levels it is also independently promoted by the amino acid methionine and by milk. also by testosterone. Women have higher growth hormone but lower igf-1, suggesting it is more the latter that restrain longevity. There's a misconception that Laron syndrome (protected from several cancers) have low gh but they actually have gh resistance, and like insulin resistance, this mean high growth hormone that can't be properly used. They have several health problems despite being protected from cancer. IGF-1 itself promotes aging and cancer.

If higher muscle mass correlates with longevity, you'd expect men to live much longer than women.
Respect to Elephanto. (the only guy on here who reversed hairloss)
But hey...ggenereux is doing good too with no calcium for years...(ggenereux : As with last year’s update my dental health is excellent. My teeth and gums are feeling really strong and solid. My teeth are also smoother, cleaner, and I think whiter too.)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals