Into The Light [Incandescent Bulb, Experience]

Peata

I got my first heat lamp and a cord w/clamp at the hardware store. Pretty excited to get into the light part of Peating.

I hope it's the right kind - GE Heat Lamp R40, 250 watts. Makes me feel like a chick, lol.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Way to go Peata! Keep in mind some of us notice we burn through our energy stores faster when under the light. This is because more energy is being used therefor burning up the fuel a bit faster. A little OJ and gelatin fixes that right up.

J

j.

Let us now how you feel.

Regarding the "right kind", I don't think there is one right kind. Anything that has tons of red light and little blue has some benefits, and these include regular incandescents. It's a matter of trying and discovering what makes you feel better.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That's why I have one of every light. :rolling

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
250 watt heat lamp like Peata, 300 watt incandescent + 150 watt incandescent, 500 watt halogen, and when feeling frisky I will throw in another heatlamp for 250 watts. I don't run the halogen all the time though, I cycle that.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks, guys.

Haha, collection. I can see that happening to me too.

They had this same light in red. I wanted to get it because it seemed fun, but I remembered everyone saying you need to get clear. What would the red light do, or not do?

to clarify - it was the exact same heat lamp, only the glass part was the color red. afaik that's the difference.

J

j.

Charlie said:
250 watt heat lamp like Peata, 300 watt incandescent + 150 watt incandescent, 500 watt halogen, and when feeling frisky I will throw in another heatlamp for 250 watts. I don't run the halogen all the time though, I cycle that.

Well, all those lights seem to have a better profile than the sun once we have enough vitamin D, in the sense that they have more red and less blue than the sun.

black3.gif

J

j.

Peata said:
They had this same light in red.

People might disagree with this, but I think from a health perspective, the red is better, based on the graph above. But from a money perspective, you need more lights to reach the same intensity as with clear lights of the same wattage.

I'm assuming that a light with smaller proportion of blue and higher of red is better.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
They had this same light in red. I wanted to get it because it seemed fun, but I remembered everyone saying you need to get clear. What would the red light do, or not do?

to clarify - it was the exact same heat lamp, only the glass part was the color red. afaik that's the difference.

There is speculation that the red tint wont let all the light through, so you will lose some of the effect.

You should definitely notice a difference in how you feel with the light therapy, so please let us know how it goes. One forum poster, cant remember his name right off hand. He had dramatic results.

j. said:
Well, all those lights seem to have a better profile than the sun once we have enough vitamin D, in the sense that they have more red and less blue than the sun.

Working on the vitamin D this season trying to get as much outside light as possible. Gonna blood test in the fall to see if it worked.

I have gotten into the habit now of sitting under the red lights right before bed, for at least 30 minutes. It's making a difference.

OP
Peata

Peata

Questions

1 - should bulb hang directly overhead or can it shine at any angle?

2 - what body parts should it shine on?

3. what's the minimum amount of exposure per day? per session? Is there a max?

4. best time of day to use? (first thing in am, evening, right before sleep?)

Mittir

This will change your view of the world. I have 500 watt incandescent in my room
and i feel strange in regular light. Bright light causes skin to make protective hormones and this uses up
Vitamin A. You have to make sure you are getting good amount of vitamin A.
I eat about 6 oz of liver every week and i do not feel good when i skip this weekly liver.

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Keep in mind some of us notice we burn through our energy stores faster when under the light. This is because more energy is being used therefor burning up the fuel a bit faster. A little OJ and gelatin fixes that right up.

That's good to know, thanks.

J

j.

Peata said:

The more body parts exposed, the better.

The ideal time changes. You might feel that you need to stop when you're just starting. When you get used to it, you can use it any amount of time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
Questions

1 - should bulb hang directly overhead or can it shine at any angle?

3. what's the minimum amount of exposure per day? per session? Is there a max?

4. best time of day to use? (first thing in am, evening, right before sleep?)

You want the light to shine on as much skin as possible.

As for dosage, you will be able to feel your way through it.

J

j.

Charlie, have you combined incandescent with red light? Does it create a weird lighting effect?

OP
Peata

Peata

Wow, it's hot from the second you turn it on.

I clamped it to my headboard and had it pointed down the length of the bed. I lay there about 5 minutes to test it out. I had my upper legs, belly, arms and face exposed (eyes shut or looking elsewhere - I would never look at the light since it's way too bright.)

It feels nice. This is gonna be awesome this Fall and Winter. I can see getting one for the two areas I sit the most as well as for the bed.

The weird/cool thing though, it was like the light gave me super-vision while I was under it. I haven't seen that well since I was a kid or something. I mean, the level of detail I could see as I looked at my skin was remarkable.

J

j.

I think it's ok to keep it far from you, because it shouldn't get too hot or it'll make you feel uncomfortable. You shouldn't suffer while doing this.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to do the light therapy when it's cold. You use it for heat and light at the same time.

OP
Peata

Peata

j. said:
I think it's ok to keep it far from you, because it shouldn't get too hot or it'll make you feel uncomfortable. You shouldn't suffer while doing this.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to do the light therapy when it's cold. You use it for heat and light at the same time.

Yeah, it wasn't too hot while I was under it, I just meant handling it.

The guy at the hardware store was cautious about selling me the thin metal shade because it wasn't rated for more than 150 w. He sold me a ceramic piece that the bulb screws into. It has a clamp. He said it really wasn't rated that high either but it would not get as messed up by the heat. The bulb is totally exposed in the set up I have.

J

j.

Is there a difference between 250-watt clear heat lamp and 250-watt clear incandescent? Do they have the same spectrum? In the graph I posted above, heat lamp and incandescent have different spectra, but I thought they were assuming the heat lamp is tinted red. When you search for heat lamp in amazon for example, you get the red lights first.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals