Dismiss Notice
  6. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

White Warm LED Light Bulbs

Discussion in 'Red Light, Infrared, LLLT' started by j., Aug 27, 2013.

1. j.

j. Guest

If somebody doesn't want to use incandescent bulbs in the house because they're too expensive, warm white LEDs seem to be a better option than CFL.

Warm White apparently has a better spectrum (i.e., more red and less blue) than regular white led.

Warm White Spectrum:
    [​IMG]

White LED Spectrum:
    [​IMG]

Another way of comparing bulbs is using their color temperature. The color temperature of a light source is computed based on the ratio of blue and red light it emits. The lower the number, the more red there is. Color temperature of different sources (some numbers according to amazon product specifications):

CFL Light Bulb: 6500
    White LED: 6000
    Sunlight: 5400-6000
    Warm White LED: 3000
    200-watt incandescent bulb: 2,980
    100-watt incandescent bulb: 2,900
    75-watt incandescent bulb: 2,820
    60-watt incandescent bulb: 2,800
    40-watt incandescent bulb: 2,650
    Candle Flame: 1,200 to 1,500

More about color temperature.

2. OP
    j.

j. Guest

If you dim incandescent lights you get lower color temperature.

3. sunluxled

sunluxled New Member

LED's a better choice. It will get more and more popular

4. OP
    j.

j. Guest

A nice graph:

[​IMG]

5. OP
    j.

j. Guest

Too bad that LEDs, even warm white, have so little red. Otherwise, we could have a huge amount of intensity without heat, evading the factor that limits the red light intensity of incandescent lights.

6. sladerunner69

sladerunner69 Member

Econ Student
    BUMP I have had this question as well.

There are some spectometry graphs indicating that LED lights have very few red wavelengths, and strong blue and greens. And nearly no infared. I guess we would be better off with halogens at any rate...

7. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

it varies on spec sheet and cri you want cri of 98 that is max i've seen riches in red and orange. [​IMG]

8. Joeyd

Joeyd Member

ive been using 2100 kelvin LEDs from ikea, very orange colour, i doubt there's any blue...

9. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

use a cd or dvd near it to see if u can find blue.

10. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

yes plus they dont give off any near infrared which is the healing part of the spectrum.

11. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

yes this pic says it all.
    [​IMG]

12. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

I don't agree with the assuimng all warm white leds have little red/orange. Look at spec sheet of the bulbs and cri to really know. That or buy a precise sceptoscope.

13. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

what you posted isnt a spectrograph. Here is the spectrograph from that same manufacturer of CRI 98. You can see how the reds drop off and the infrared approaches zero. most of the healing spectrum is above 700nm

[​IMG]

High CRI LED Lighting | Yuji LED

14. sladerunner69

sladerunner69 Member

Econ Student
    Most of the heeling spectrum is infared and near infared, you say? I think Ray has said that bright light from yellow to white to red is all beneficial.

Anyway my new concern with my infared lamps above my desk are how they are going to effect my eyes long term. It seems that my eyes are a bit sore, almost constantly. I also have some trouble focusing without slight pain/ minor irritation. I don't remember experiencing this before using lights (some years ago now) Perhaps I should have the lights stand back a bit farther, and not directly at my face?

15. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

Im sure all of the visible spectrum above yellow is healthy in one way or another but the main effect on mitochondrial cytochrome c-oxidase is in the red and near infrared. This is completely missing from all LEDs

I used to use a brooder light above my head until I also noticed a pain in my eyes too. I think its the far and mid infrared which causes protein denaturation in the eyes. Long term heat to the eyes is very damaging. I now just use a 100w incandescent with a shade and then use my red and infrared lights every once in a while.

16. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

I believe infared benefits are small in comprasion to near infared orange to deep red. The studies say infared is better are not looking at wattage being equal. Infared may go deeper but didnt have photons. ALso leds are going down in price 20 watt are half what they use too.

17. sladerunner69

sladerunner69 Member

Econ Student
    Where did you learn that heat was damaging to the eyes? Or was that your own observation? And what do you mean by a shade with your 100w lamp?

18. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

@sladerunner69 a doctor told me careful with heat for my eyes if i use sunlight with many mirrors I didn't ask totually why. I will wear clear glasses to counter. Leds dont usually have infared if very little. My friend though say even a red if intense enough red led 3000 watt could burn you. I have a hard time believing that near infared not infared could burn you. That is in huge extremes though.

19. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

I looked into it after noticing the pain from my brooder. Here is one article Heat-inducing lens damage | Ophthalmology Magazine

I put the shade back on my lamp as even the 100w incandescent was hurting my eyes.

20. sladerunner69

sladerunner69 Member

Econ Student
    Alright I take a look at this. I wonder if the damage is PUFA dependant to some extent.

And I'm not sure what you mean by shade?