Red Light Experiment (120V Vs. 130V)

Discussion in 'Red Light, Infrared, LLLT' started by haidut, Dec 5, 2013.

1. stressucks

stressucks Member

Wouldn't red light be better before bed than white light?

Avoiding blue light/bright light = sleep?

2. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

It would seem that way.

3. cdg

cdg Member

Another way to get more red should be to use Button light Savers: The Button Light Bulb Saver - - Amazon.com on the 120 volt bulbs this may make them more like the 130 v ones and could also make the 130 v ones even more redder. Maybe you could include these in your tests as well? Thanks.

4. cdg

cdg Member

Suspect if there was enough orange and red in the light then the effects of blue could be mitigated to some extent but retain the advantage of blue?? Ray said he went to sleep under them while reading and got pimples which he attributed to vitamin A deficiency - I think...

5. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    I just give up on red light. Learning about this is like getting your PhD in biology in French... when you don't speak French.

6. murdoc

murdoc Member

http://heelspurs.com/a/led/black3.gif

if you look at this chart you can see that halogen lights emit more red light than incandescent lamps. actually it is very close the spectrum of sun light.
    I have bought an orange coloured filter to filter out the blue light. a water filter would be even better because of the infrared heat but this not practical to install.
    Aside from LED this is the best form of red light therapy i could think of.

7. sladerunner69

sladerunner69 Member

Econ Student
    yeah doesnt matter if its led or red light halogen they all the same really you know

8. marikay

marikay Member

9. cdg

cdg Member

If you have Ray's book "From PMS to Menopause in Context" there is a very cogent discussion in part 4 which answers many questions. And is simple to understand

10. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    Thanks for that. I'll definitely look in this.

11. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

I don't think you will be able to handle the brightness of 500W clear incandescent bulb. I saw such bulbs lit once in a gallery and I could not stay close to them for long as they were almost blinding. The "clouded" ones work much better for me and probably do not inhibit red light release much.

12. marikay

marikay Member

Thanks. Do you know where I might be able to find 250 W, 130 volt, clear incandescents? If not, thanks for all the great help anyway.

13. marikay

marikay Member

@haidut I found some online.

14. marikay

marikay Member

@haidut - I'm sorry to bother you with a question you may have already answered but I can't find the answer above. Are your painted red bulbs considered infrared? Or is there a special 130 volt infrared bulb that you use at your office. (I almost understand all of this:)

15. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

All icandescent bulbs will emit some heat, which makes them technically infrared. However, the ones sold officially as infrared use a filament that has much higher resistance and as such converts mos of the electrical energy into heat. So, I use the ones that are NOT sold as infrared. You can buy 150W red colored flood lightbulbs at 130V at most hardware stores. The red bulbs that are also sold as infrared gave me headache after about 10min. I think Peat had the same experience.

16. marikay

marikay Member

Excellent. Thanks again.

17. Pointless

Pointless Member

I also experience a sleepiness and lowering of stress with 250W halogen and incandescent lights. The effect is immediate. I have some questions, though, and hope some of you know the answers because there is a lot of conflicting information on the Internet about this.

Are bright incandescent lights (250-500W) bad for your eyes? I have a 300W clear glass incandescent bulb, but I see spots even with my eyes closed and at a distance of 10 feet. Are the ones with frosted glass less harsh on the eyes? Would sunglasses help?

Does the red tint over the bulb do anything besides filter out harmful frequencies like blue light and ultraviolet? Would it increase or decrease the stress lowering?

How do you run a 130V-rated bulb at 120V? Is it a special lamp? Does it have a dimmer or something?

18. sladerunner69

sladerunner69 Member

Econ Student
    I have been using a 250w incandescent bulb k own as the rubylux. It is coated red. It makes me feel good i guess but it has been hurting my eyes and giving me a headache i think. My eye sockets are always sore its so weird.

19. john88

john88 Member

what about 240V and 660W lamp holder? i only have a 250W 130V red bulb

i wonder if its safe, and how it will affect the infrared.

20. Adrian

Adrian Member

Hello everyone.
    In order to compare the two spectra can put the two lamps next to each other and observe the reflection of light on a CD, first turn on a lamp and then the other, I already post some photos.

https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/home-spectrometer-with-cd.13892/#post-193068

Where I live I have 220V and got 150W and 110V lamps I put them to four in series which results in a total consumption of 150W but with little orange visible light, and the spectrum will surely be run to the infrared, but I can not see it in The CD's refection, it's very nice to feel the soft orange light and the warmth you feel.
    On the other hand any incandescent lamp tends to red-orange when it is dimerized, the halogen lamps do not lose so much the blue colors.
    As an economic test you can put two lamps of equal power for the network voltage of their homes and see the effect, it is very pleasant.
    Sorry for my english.