Incandescent Bulbs: Can They Damage The Eyes?

mamaherrera

I got my first incandescent light, 150 watt. oh my goodness, is it bright. How do you all keep it on for example, your thyroid or your scalp, without it hurting your eyes?? Can it damage your eyes even if indirectly looking into it?? It is so bright??

also, another question, how many of these do you use at a time, AND, I looked at those aluminum light reflectors, but I see lots of reviews that they are flimsy, what kind of setups do you all have??? (links appreciated, if you have found something great online, as I"m not very creative). Thanks
Andrea

Ben

Ray Peat said that gazing into the red light for a few seconds once in a while can be beneficial. It has no ultraviolet or blue light, both of which are harmful to the eyes, so that's why you can stare into it for long periods of time without irritation (or at least I can). It's best to "spread out" the light and not have a few narrow points in your vision with strong lights, that would result in more benefits (red light touches cells more consistently) and less eye irritation.

J

j.

Ben said:
It has no ultraviolet or blue light, both of which are harmful to the eyes,

She has incandescents, these have some blue.

OP
M

mamaherrera

yes because I got a sense that the incandescents were better than red lights. I'm so confused. And how do you get these lights to spread out?? I hope I didn't do any major damage to my eyes, now I'm worried, because yes there were some narrow points, from an angle, it was in my eyes. I don't know how to diffuse it, or have it on my neck/close to face, without it in my eyes. Are the incandescents better than red???

J

j.

They're not going to do major -if any- damage, they're not UV, or very blue lights.

Long term, low PUFA consumption reduces sensitivity to bright light. Good vitamin A status is also helpful.

OP
M

mamaherrera

are you sure?? I"m a little worried, because my eye is stinging/sore today. I don't know if it's the light or pure coincidence, but I don't want to think it could've done a flash burn or anything like that. Plus, I read that Peat says that bright light doesn't do damage if PUFA are low, but if I've just started the diet, PUFA is still in me, so should I not use this type of therapy until I've been on the diet for a while?What kind of base do you put these lights in and how do you keep them on your body, but not indirectly in eyes?? How do you all do it?

J

j.

I think they'll pass. It's unlikely they'll do damage, as incandescents were used for generations before the fancier/more harmful lights appeared. You benefit just using it as your regular lightbulb, even if you don't think in terms of "light therapy".

OP
M

mamaherrera

you don't think the incandescents have UV Lights that could've done a corneal burn??? I hate to go to eye docs, so I'd rather not go, but if there's any risk, I should go. But, even if I want to use it as my regular lightbulb, I can't handle the brightness of it, even in the room, even if I'm far away from it. and it's only 150 watts!

J

j.

Then don't use it. Use only if you're comfortable or with sunglasses.

Use 50 watt or whatever you're comfortable with.

When it's uncomfortable to me, I use a lesser intensity. Then I try to eat better, supplement some vitamin A, and then increase the intensity and see if it's comfortable.

J

j.

If you eat liver, have a serving when you can and see if you feel better.

OP
M

mamaherrera

but you don't think it's anything for now to worry about, just some mild irritation?? and again, I ask, what kind of base do you use? and yes I eat liver once a week.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Ray Peat wrote:The eyes and the lungs are sensitive tissues that are easily harmed by inappropriate environmental exposure. They are especially sensitive in infancy and old age.

For 60 years there have been controversies about the cause of retinopathy of prematurity, which has blinded tens of thousands of people.

Degeneration of the retina is the main cause of blindness in old people. Retinal injury is caused by ordinary light, when the eyes are sensitized by melatonin, prolactin, and polyunsaturated fats. Bright light isn't harmful to the retina, even when it is continuous, if the retina isn't sensitized.

Based on reading this above, I have a question. If my eyes are sensitized by these "bad thing" mentioned above, then is trying to use bright light therapy (incandescent 150's) in my house, a bad idea, because they can damage my retina??? Knowing I'm just starting this diet, how do I use bright lights if right now my body technically is full of prolactin/PUFA, and such??? Will I be causing retinal injury more by using bright light now????

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think your safe with incandescent light. Premature infants (who often receive high dose oxygen) and the elderly, who have had a life time of destabilizing factors, are much more prone to injury in these delicate tissues. Even if you feel you may be somewhat impaired from PUFA and prolactin etc. I'm not aware of any one having eye injury from ordinary incandescent light. I believe the blue and UV end of the spectrum is the most damaging. I doubt Ray would even suggest it if it were risky in any way. Commonsense is always good to practice though and wearing sunglasses and not staring directly at the light seems reasonable. I personally would not fear a 150 watt incandescent bulb. Hope that helps you feel more at ease. Hopefully others will reply too.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Although there are some days I feel like I'm 90 years old in a 33 year old body, with my sleep deprivation and all my bad habits: stress, diet, etc. And wearing sunglasses in my room, seems a bit silly, but I'll try. And I have actually three 150 watts in my room, so it is more than just 150 watts. i just didn't know if the red light therapy should come after having a while of good diet/elimating PUFA/ and ensuring vitamin A. Ther'es no real way to assume I am low in vitamin A or not, so I don't want to go overboard either, but I've heard that vitamin A deficiency can cause sensitivity to light as well. Just weird to me that since being in rooms with 450 watts of incandescent light, my eyes feel very dry and achey.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I can relate to the feeling 90 at thirty three! I used to feel envious of my 80 and 90 year old grandparents that seemed healthier than me. The good news is that now I'm 44 and feel better than I did in my 20's. It sounds like your on the right track. I would just go with what feels right for you with the lighting. I definitely don't think it will harm you though. I have heard that about it increasing the need for vitamin A. I just turn mine off when I feel I've had enough.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks and your story of reversing "aging" gives me great inspiration. thanks so much!! I will just play with the light. Maybe I just have dry eyes, period, and it's a coincidence with this new "lighting". Take care and I hope I can say the same as you, one of these days about the improvements in lifestyle and health!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
:|
mamaherrera said:
Thanks and your story of reversing "aging" gives me great inspiration. thanks so much!! I will just play with the light. Maybe I just have dry eyes, period, and it's a coincidence with this new "lighting". Take care and I hope I can say the same as you, one of these days about the improvements in lifestyle and health!
I was just fortunate enough to discover Peat's work and I suppose you could say smart enough to recognize the truth when I read it! Otherwise I don't know where I would be today. I'm just happy we can all try to encourage and support each other!

aguilaroja

Blossom said:
I think you're safe with incandescent light...I believe the blue and UV end of the spectrum is the most damaging.

Yes, light with abundant wavelengths toward the red end of the spectrum is supportive.

Also, it's helpful to understand that supportive light can help by passing through the skin in any region. That is, you can use light that is not particularly aimed at the eyes/retina.

Dr. Peat has mentioned that people tend to feel better in the summer, even when frequently indoors, perhaps because of ambient infrared.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Yes, I don't have it aimed at the eye/retina, but it seems like when I'm in my room with the incandescent, my eyes start feeling dry/burning, even though it's up on the ceiling shining down. But maybe I'm just having dry eyes in general. Even yesterday, when I avoided the incandescent, I still woke up today with the dry /achey eyes. Maybe it's the weather???

aguilaroja

The dryness may simply be a heat effect. Incandescent light gives off a lot of heat. Per report here, a total of 450 watts are used. Most of that is transmitting heat to the room. If you are using incandescent light in a warm climate or season, the room is going to get hotter, and probably dryer (less humid, really).

If I need more yellow/red spectrum light in warmer months, lately I have been using LED. Though my experience is guided by Dr. Peat's observation of the helpfulness of incandescent light, it's too hot to use incandescent light in the heat of summer for my purposes. That time of year is most abundant in rejuvenating light, which is why July in Alaska or January in New Zealand (for example) is supportive .

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals