Protecting eyes from various light sources

Loor

Specifically incandescent bulbs and sunlight.

I've started doing red light therapy with my own 275W incandescent on various parts of my body a couple of weeks ago and have already noticed some seriously incredible improvements in skin quality. (if you're not doing red light therapy, get on it ASAP) I'm going to buy some more and get it going on multiple areas of the body simultaneously, more efficient. Given the skin quality improvements, I was wanting to experiment with it on my face, but I'm pretty sure if you looked into the thing even with your eyes closed you'd be blinded for life after one minute. I've come up with the idea of covering the lenses of a pair of those big dorky hardware safety glasses with something called lead tape. It's strips of lead about a quarter inch wide and the thickness of the actual lead is maybe a couple mm thick, and it has adhesive on one side to make it stick. Tennis and golf players use it to make their racquets/clubs heavier. That should block the red and infrared right?

I also like to lie out in the sun for my vitamin D. Nothing excessive, 10-15 mins a day. I know the UV isn't really good for me, but getting sunlight really helps 'regulate' my hormone patterns and get me to sleep at night, and having a tan ain't bad either. I'm an adult, I accept the dangers. I was curious what the best way to protect eyes from sunlight is? I was thinking the lead glasses would probably be pretty good, but I've just been listening to Ray's interviews about radiation, and he spoke of experiments with rabbits living in cages outside, with lead roofs. Apparently the lead slows down the cosmic rays (the technicalities of what he was explaining went a bit over my head but I understand it on a basic level) and makes them even more toxic - not good for the eyes I should think. So, best way to protect eyes from sunlight?

Mountain

Just get some of those goofy little glasses that they wear in solariums. Really any kind of opaque material would work I imagine.

You can also filter the light through a tub of water a few centimetres thick to reduce the infrared.

Brian

I took a cheap pair of swimming goggles and wrapped aluminum foil around the lenses then put electrical tape around the edges to keep it in place and make it more comfortable where it makes contact with my face. It works.

I first tried this with the standard tanning goggles. They are too small and allow a lot light to come in through the edges of your eye socket.

OP
L

Loor

Brian said:
I took a cheap pair of swimming goggles and wrapped aluminum foil around the lenses then put electrical tape around the edges to keep it in place and make it more comfortable where it makes contact with my face. It works.

I first tried this with the standard tanning goggles. They are too small and allow a lot light to come in through the edges of your eye socket.

The shiny side should be outwards shouldn't it? What does aluminum foil block out of curiosity, basically everything right?

OP
L

Loor

You'd be surprised how much of a rabbit-hole aluminum foil shiny-side v dull-side is in the university of google. Does anyone know for sure?

Brian

Loor said:
You'd be surprised how much of a rabbit-hole aluminum foil shiny-side v dull-side is in the university of google. Does anyone know for sure?

I folded up a strip of foil at least four times so at that point it wouldn't matter even if there was some kind of difference. It's much more durable as you mold the foil to the lens when you have multiple layers.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals