Into The Light [Incandescent Bulb, Experience]

OP
Peata

Peata

I've started to look into this as a skin treatment too.

I'm making sure to get some of the light directly on my face. I've probably done a total of 10 min. on my face here and there today. Supposedly stimulates collagen if you need it, helps with discoloration, lines, firmness, etc.

I think it could help with this minor surgery scar on my arm too. I'm making sure it gets plenty of the light.

OP
Peata

Peata

I had the light on my a lot yesterday while I was on the computer, letting it shine from above and behind me. Most of it went on my hair, back of neck, shoulders, arms.

Two nights in a row so far I've "light-bathed" nude before bed. It almost feels like I'm in a tanning bed. I have to remind myself I'm not dosing myself with UV and no, I'm not going to get a tan.

I have to cover my eyes - it's too bright at certain angles and I have a paranoia about damaging my eyes with light. In fact, I'm going to pick up tanning bed goggles today to use when I'm having my light session at night, and especially for when I treat my face.

I don't really time myself, but I'm probably doing the night session for 10 min. I feel really warm afterward, to the point where I'm uncomfortable in bed for a while because I'm too hot.

OP
Peata

Peata

from danny roddy's site:

"It turns out that the meaning of "excess estrogen" has to be interpreted in relation to the balance of estrogen (and the multitude of factors which mimic estrogen's effects) with all of the antiestrogen factors. I have concentrated on thyroid, progesterone, and red light as the most important factors that protect against estrogen, and these all turn out to be protective against stress, shock, ionizing radiation, free radicals, lipid peroxidation, thymic atrophy, osteoporosis, arthritis, scleroderma, apoptotic cell death, and other problems that are involved in tissue degeneration or aging." - Ray Peat, PhD

J

j.

Swandattur said:
When they quit selling incandescent bulbs, will halogen work, I wonder?

Halogen I think has some UV, I wouldn't want to mess with that. You'll have to get contraband or black market incandescent lights.

OP
Peata

Peata

The heat lamp is an incandescent bulb, and I doubt they stop selling them. There is a demand for them because of people raising animals, and probably other applications (besides using them on our bodies). At least I would hope they continue making and selling them.

As far as what to put in our regular lights when the incandescents go...? LED?

Jib

Any word on the tanning bed goggles?

I've been "light bathing" recently too. I use clear heat lamp bulbs sometimes, usually during the day, and infrared heat lamp bulbs sometimes, usually at night.

I'm dealing with extreme amounts of emotional/psychological stress, and I find that the light bathing helps quite a bit. As far as the infrared bulbs go, I'm not sure why kind of eyewear I should get, if any, for preventing any potential damage. I'm not sure if the light is strong enough to warrant needing infrared protection goggles, although honestly I don't think it would be a bad idea.

I like shining the light on my face too. I can do this with the clear heat lamp bulbs with my eyes closed but even then it's a little bright. As far as the infrared lamp goes, forget it. I only shine that on my body, and usually avoid my head.

I have some 850nm LEDs. I want to buy a variable power supply. I think the forward voltage on them is around 1.6 volts and I heard for a power supply you want to go 2x the forward voltage plus a little extra. I've heard 3 volts is okay for powering these LEDs.

Anyway, I'd like to hook those up in a breadboard circuit so I could use it as a therapy light on my hands and knees, which have been bothering me quite a bit lately.

"Light bathing" is an interesting concept though. I think it might be just as valuable as epsom salt baths in the long run.

I also suspect that it has benefits resulting from somatosensory stimulation. A brief search on that yielded this, and I'm sure there're tons more:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21513806

Mr Joe

from danny roddy's site:

"It turns out that the meaning of "excess estrogen" has to be interpreted in relation to the balance of estrogen (and the multitude of factors which mimic estrogen's effects) with all of the antiestrogen factors. I have concentrated on thyroid, progesterone, and red light as the most important factors that protect against estrogen, and these all turn out to be protective against stress, shock, ionizing radiation, free radicals, lipid peroxidation, thymic atrophy, osteoporosis, arthritis, scleroderma, apoptotic cell death, and other problems that are involved in tissue degeneration or aging." - Ray Peat, PhD

Peata do you have any research documents regarding protective effect of red light against ionizing radiation ?