Low Toxin Logs Insomnia After Starting Low-Toxin Diet [Solved?]

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
Hi all, I started the low-toxin diet five days ago. I've cut out all Vitamin-A-rich foods and started using a generous amount of the Mag-Ka spray (magnesium chloride and potassium chloride mixed with distilled vodka and distilled water). My chronic hypertension, which I developed on the RP diet, has already disappeared. I've also started supplementing Nicotinic Acid and have been eating only Thai rice noodles and lean ground beef. I drink only water. My digestion is very slow—pretty much constipated—and I only poop once a day in the morning, with small poops. This is a problem I've always had on the RP diet. I've been limiting my fiber intake to just a small bowl of oatmeal and a scoop of Sunfiber powder.

The main problem I'm dealing with is insomnia. I cannot sleep no matter how much Trazodone, Clonidine, or Propranolol I take. When I do finally fall asleep, it's in the morning around 8 am, and it's only for 3-4 hours. My forehead feels cold when I have this problem, so I know that's related.

Peater

I found that not getting enough B2 causes minor constipation. There's less B1 and B2 in beef than you'd think.

OP
S

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@Peater I see. I just ordered some Vitamin B2. I have B1 on hand, but I don't notice anything from it.

Peater

@Peater I see. I just ordered some Vitamin B2. I have B1 on hand, but I don't notice anything from it.
It's probably a good thing you don't notice anything, although it might not hurt to take it alongside B1. They work together. Mag and potassium are important for B1 so you're fine there.

purple pill

My digestion is very slow—pretty much constipated—and I only poop once a day in the morning, with small poops. This is a problem I've always had on the RP diet. I've been limiting my fiber intake to just a small bowl of oatmeal and a scoop of Sunfiber powder..
Are you mixing the sunfiber in with your oatmeal by anychance? I put a tablespoon in with my oatmeal a few weeks back and it seriously locked up my bowels, guessing far too much fibre in one go. Funny thing was i was drinking milk of magnesia like crazy (usually a teaspoon would do the job) and it was having zero effect. Anyway I believe the moral of the story was...one or the other lol.

Edit: wasn't sunfiber but psyllium husks

OP
S

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@purple pill

No, I am consuming them at separate times. I chose Sunfiber because it's supposed to be a form of soluble fiber that doesn't get you constipated. However, it has only been a day since I started using it, so maybe things will start to change.

BRENBAIL

Forum Supporter
Hi all, I started the low-toxin diet five days ago. I've cut out all Vitamin-A-rich foods and started using a generous amount of the Mag-Ka spray (magnesium chloride and potassium chloride mixed with distilled vodka and distilled water). My chronic hypertension, which I developed on the RP diet, has already disappeared. I've also started supplementing Nicotinic Acid and have been eating only Thai rice noodles and lean ground beef. I drink only water. My digestion is very slow—pretty much constipated—and I only poop once a day in the morning, with small poops. This is a problem I've always had on the RP diet. I've been limiting my fiber intake to just a small bowl of oatmeal and a scoop of Sunfiber powder.

The main problem I'm dealing with is insomnia. I cannot sleep no matter how much Trazodone, Clonidine, or Propranolol I take. When I do finally fall asleep, it's in the morning around 8 am, and it's only for 3-4 hours. My forehead feels cold when I have this problem, so I know that's related.
I've started the low toxin diet too and I'm experiencing insomnia (but not every night). I am slowly weaning up on niacin (right now I'm taking about 1000mg per day in divided doses), and I'm taking thiamine too at 175mg 2x/day along with the other recommended supplements. I'm wondering if that's too much B-vitamins? Or, that I should start taking some of the other B-vitamins to assist the other ones I'm taking now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
generous amount of the Mag-Ka spray (magnesium chloride and potassium chloride mixed with distilled vodka and distilled water).
Slow and easy wins this race.
My chronic hypertension, which I developed on the RP diet, has already disappeared.
Me and @Blossom got incredibly high blood pressure on the Ray Peat poison diet. There is someone in the Facebook groups now saying how their blood pressure keeps creeping up and they are worried.
only Thai rice noodles and lean ground beef. I drink only water. My digestion is very slow—pretty much constipated—and I only poop once a day in the morning, with small poops. This is a problem I've always had on the RP diet. I've been limiting my fiber intake to just a small bowl of oatmeal and a scoop of Sunfiber powder.
The thai rice noodles can be constipating. I do better on brown rice. Some people do not seem to do good on sunfiber while others do great.
The main problem I'm dealing with is insomnia.
When I have insomnia it is mostly from the metals moving around like copper.
Trazodone, Clonidine, or Propranolol
:shock:
My forehead feels cold when I have this problem, so I know that's related.
Another sign that it is metals moving around.
White rice is famously constipating
True that.
I am slowly weaning up on niacin (right now I'm taking about 1000mg per day in divided doses),
Thats a pretty hefty dose so early in your journey. I will try and make a thread on how I dose in the future.
and I'm taking thiamine too at 175mg 2x/day along with the other recommended supplements.
I can only take thiamine in the morning, if I do it in the afternoon it can mess with my sleep.

BRENBAIL

Forum Supporter
I am slowly weaning up on niacin (right now I'm taking about 1000mg per day in divided doses),
Thats a pretty hefty dose so early in your journey. I will try and make a thread on how I dose in the future.
and I'm taking thiamine too at 175mg 2x/day along with the other recommended supplements.
I can only take thiamine in the morning, if I do it in the afternoon it can mess with my sleep.

@charlie Thanks. I'll try just keeping my thiamine dose to just the morning, and reduce my niacin. I certainly don't mind the flush, but I do mind the insomnia! With part of the detox effect, should I prepare for possible flu-like symptoms? I've been just getting more annoying symptoms like on-and-off insomnia, strange poops, cold feet. Otherwise, I'm very functional and going about my days normally. With these symptoms just being annoying, I don't mind pushing my body as I want these toxins gone, but I won't want to all of a sudden get hit with a 2 week long 'flu' (yup, I'm slowly realizing that what we thought was the 'flu' is just detoxing events).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I certainly don't mind the flush,
I love the flush. :)
With part of the detox effect, should I prepare for possible flu-like symptoms?
Yes, or generally feeling like you are poisoned because that is what is happening when stuff moves around. You will know when you get there.
With these symptoms just being annoying, I don't mind pushing my body as I want these toxins gone, but I won't want to all of a sudden get hit with a 2 week long 'flu' (yup, I'm slowly realizing that what we thought was the 'flu' is just detoxing events).
I know the feeling. Once you realize you have this detox power you just want to power through it. But we have to be smart though, don't put more stress on the body then you have too. Like you I do not mind the minor stuff at all. But sometimes you just need a break. A family member said to me today she is finally realizing what I meant by the detox dance. Push a little, pull back. If I know that I will not be traveling or have pressing matters I will push harder. Right now I am in the downtime and enjoying the fruits of my labor. Just ebb and flow and keep chipping away at those toxins slowly and don't get ahead of yourself because it can hurt. Be smart, be patient, the healing has already started.

BRENBAIL

Forum Supporter
I love the flush. :)

Yes, or generally feeling like you are poisoned because that is what is happening when stuff moves around. You will know when you get there.

I know the feeling. Once you realize you have this detox power you just want to power through it. But we have to be smart though, don't put more stress on the body then you have too. Like you I do not mind the minor stuff at all. But sometimes you just need a break. A family member said to me today she is finally realizing what I meant by the detox dance. Push a little, pull back. If I know that I will not be traveling or have pressing matters I will push harder. Right now I am in the downtime and enjoying the fruits of my labor. Just ebb and flow and keep chipping away at those toxins slowly and don't get ahead of yourself because it can hurt. Be smart, be patient, the healing has already started.
OK, got it! As my girls pointed out about me today, I can be strong and fierce, but also gentle when needed. HA! Gentle it is!

Peater

I forgot to mention make sure you are getting adequate salt, I've been getting less hours of sleep just recently and have also drastically cut my salt intake, perhaps a little too much alongside the increased potassium chloride and coconut water.

mattmm24

@purple pill

No, I am consuming them at separate times. I chose Sunfiber because it's supposed to be a form of soluble fiber that doesn't get you constipated. However, it has only been a day since I started using it, so maybe things will start to change.
Eat apples. That will clear up everything. Some people do better on oats and beans. Some do better on apples. Insoluable vs soluable

Jabuger

Eat apples. That will clear up everything. Some people do better on oats and beans. Some do better on apples. Insoluable vs soluable
Apples are very good for me. Tried oats recently again and the white coated tongue started to creep up again. Beans are also fine for me.

Apples clear the white tongue in a day.

OP
S

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@BRENBAIL

I don't know. The consensus seems to be to take the Niacin flushing slow and to work your doses up instead. However, my first time taking it was a dose of around 2 grams on an empty stomach, and while I turned red like a tomato, I actually really enjoyed the feeling. It was as if I had been out in the sun all day in Florida for a few days and had developed a sunburn and was now back in the hotel room ready to take a nap (which I couldn't, of course, because of my insomnia). If I didn't think the Niacin had a part to play in my insomnia, I would continue taking large doses. But now I don't know what to think.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@charlie

I appreciate the feedback. It's reassuring to know that others have experienced similar problems to mine. I will add in the brown rice and report back any changes.

OP
S

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@Peater

Yes, salt at night makes me feel warm and relaxed. For salt intake, I usually just salt my food to taste, and if after eating I feel like I didn't salt it enough, I'll sprinkle a bit on my palm and eat it.

OP
S

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@mattmm24

I can't eat apples at the moment. I'm healing a stomach ulcer, which I developed on the Ray Peat diet from excessive aspirin and orange juice intake after damaging my gut lining by eating 6 to 12 eggs a day prior on the keto diet.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals