I'm A Guy And I LOVE Progesterone

OP
L

lampofred

Okay someone needs to explain what the hell is going on here. I applied 20mg of trandermal progesterone first time ever. And my body is super warm my chest super hot. My feet still cold. Hands warm.

but the biggest effect is my insane energy levels. I am talking so much and acting like i took adderall. In fact it feels like i am experiencing an adderall affect without so much of the tunnel vision effect.

i am talking hella and super passionate and energetic. Whats going on?

I think that's the effect of estrogen being released from your tissues. Progesterone is sedative once the estrogen is gone.

InChristAlone

i am only 27 though. Whats the effect behind this. This isnt a cortisol response is it?
You can be 17 and still feel like death if you aren't living in accordance with good metabolism. They say progesterone helps adrenal health, so it can kinda 'boost'. But yeah eventually once all the estrogen is pushed out you won't be getting a shot of energy like that. I personally like to have SOME active youthful estrogen because without it my vagina is dry, my boobs sag, I have zero motivation and just want to sleep all day.

baccheion

You can be 17 and still feel like death if you aren't living in accordance with good metabolism. They say progesterone helps adrenal health, so it can kinda 'boost'. But yeah eventually once all the estrogen is pushed out you won't be getting a shot of energy like that. I personally like to have SOME active youthful estrogen because without it my vagina is dry, my boobs sag, I have zero motivation and just want to sleep all day.
Doesn't it depend on the time of the month for women? Also, I thought progesterone handles breast fullness, collagen renewal, etc? Thyroid hormones (I'm really thinking of iodine protocol) handle all of those things.

Balance is key. It's true with cortisol too - without it we'll die.

Jennifer

Progesterone is sedative once the estrogen is gone.
But yeah eventually once all the estrogen is pushed out you won't be getting a shot of energy like that. I personally like to have SOME active youthful estrogen because without it my vagina is dry, my boobs sag, I have zero motivation and just want to sleep all day.
Ahh...well, that explains why I needed to lie down immediately and sleep whenever I took Progest-E. I'd be out cold for hours. I thought maybe it was inducing sleep because it was lowering stress hormones, but this continued the entire year I took it and my estrogen and prolactin levels have always been on the lower side.

GorillaHead

Well honestly this energy is insane. If its a one time thing kinda sucks. But if its bad thing have such a burst if energy then I wouldn't want it. I just feel like I am 21 again. Sang my heart out in the shower lol

Jennifer

Well honestly this energy is insane. If its a one time thing kinda sucks. But if its bad thing have such a burst if energy then I wouldn't want it. I just feel like I am 21 again. Sang my heart out in the shower lol
It seems to me your body is liking it. I would have loved experiencing that same burst of energy when I took it. Sounds nice! :) I imagine you'll be able to tell if or when your body has had enough of it such as the overly sedative effect.

GorillaHead

It seems to me your body is liking it. I would have loved experiencing that same burst of energy when I took it. Sounds nice! :) I imagine you'll be able to tell if or when your body has had enough of it such as the sedative effect.

This isnt the first time i used it. First time i used it i took like 5mg and got a sedative effect. felt euphoric. Felt like sertonin lol. ***t made my eyes roll back. But then i read Lampofred said I should take a lot the first time. So i took a full pump, 20mgs apparently, i was actually hoping to get a relaxed feeling but nope. Pow pow ! Amazing Friday.

The human body is just bizarre. And its even more bizarre when we all compare ourselves to each other

mrchibbs

i am only 27 though. Whats the effect behind this. This isnt a cortisol response is it?

I'm roughly the same age at you are and trust me, you'd be surprised at how much decline has taken place already at 27, especially in today's world.
What you're feeling is how you felt at 18, you've just forgotten how it felt.

GorillaHead

I'm roughly the same age at you are and trust me, you'd be surprised at how much decline has taken place already at 27, especially in today's world.
What you're feeling is how you felt at 18, you've just forgotten how it felt.
I remember when i was 18 i could play basketball and move around the court so fast my shoes would start to break in and my feet would slide cause massive friction. I remember i could bounce around. I legit feel like half the time my body is old regardless of good diet and sleep.

mrchibbs

I remember when i was 18 i could play basketball and move around the court so fast my shoes would start to break in and my feet would slide cause massive friction. I remember i could bounce around. I legit feel like half the time my body is old regardless of good diet and sleep.

Same here. Basketball was basically my life from 15-20 hahaha. I just loved playing it all the time, and was bouncing around and highly energetic despite some very real stressors, I was a really happy teenager, with amazing hair and a calm demeanour. Looking back I've probably been hypothyroid all my life, but basketball was a great coping mechanism for the stress. I didn't have as much energy as most people my age, but was happy nearly all the time.

All that changed in my 20s. Stopped playing sports, and eventually the stresses of life got to be too much (deaths of people close to me, mold exposure, low vitamin D, no exercise, no purpose, lack of sleep, drinking, PUFAs etc.). I got really sick and now at 28 I feel really old. It's normal after years of chronic stress though. It's getting better.

2 years ago when I was really sick, and discovering Peat I remember trying pregnenolone and thinking, hmm I probably don't need this, I'm just 26, I'm probably not very stressed. (Ray had mentioned how useful it was for sick and stressed individuals).

Oh boy was I wrong, it had an immense calming effect. I was immensely stressed and sick. Progesterone too was like a powerful sedative. I think we don't really know what stress means until we start learning about Ray's ideas, and then it becomes obvious. Vitamin A, Cholesterol, Thyroid, Pregnenolone, DHEA, Progesterone should all be supplemented in situations where health is failing, it's absolutely necessary to start the process of recover.

GorillaHead

Wow. Your history resonates with me a lot. 2 years ago I got IBD out of nowhere. I attribute much of my success with completely irradiating and it and now having an amazing digestive system thanks to this forum. I wish more people would talk and discuss. If u are healthy always more room to improve. We have one or two scientists out there working on solutions and their motivations aren't even the right ones. Imagine what we can do with hundreds if people throwing ideas back and forth. I am going to post a lengthy post on my blog later this week on what i believe with high confidence is the cause of AGA and how we can solve hair all backed by solid studies. This week has been exciting! Thanks for sharing @mrchibbs

Jennifer

Sounds incredible, @GorillaHead! And I'm glad your digestion is doing so well now. That's awesome! :)
Vitamin A, Cholesterol, Thyroid, Pregnenolone, DHEA, Progesterone should all be supplemented in situations where health is failing, it's absolutely necessary to start the process of recover.
May I ask, do you take a vitamin A supplement or do you find you get enough of it through food? I tend to get myself in a pickle when I supplement isolates so I've been debating eating a serving of liver once a week.

Last edited:

GorillaHead

Sounds incredible, @GorillaHead! And I'm glad your digestion is doing so well now. That's awesome! :)

May I ask, do you take a vitamin A supplement or do you find you get enough of it through food? I tend to get myself in a pickle when I supplement isolates so I've been debating eating a serving of liver once a week.

So i take vitamin a 3000mcg on and off. I dont want to. On days i drink carrot juice i dont. I try to have organic carrot juice in the fridge all the time but I ran out quickly.

A lot of supplements are way to high dosage. Like I would prefer 1000mcg than 3000 mcg.

I probably don't get enough vitamin a generally if i font drink carrot juice.

Ive been battling lower back acne for a while and I am not sure if this is a cause. I feel like its probably pufa build up

mrchibbs

Personally, no, I don't trust oral VA supplements, as I think there is a case for vitamin A being toxic in certain scenarios (I'm not in the anti-VA cult though!).
If I get cutaneous symptoms, It's a clear sign I need some liver. If I've eaten liver recently and I still have symptoms (rare), I take more vitamin E.
Vitamin E can prevent vitamin A oxidation. Vitamin C, can also protect vitamin E and spare vitamin A.

Sometimes, I did take topical vitamin A supplements, applied to the face, neck, legs, chest etc.

So basically, you need the antioxidants C,E to make sure vitamin A doesn't oxidize, and you also need to eat enough saturated fat, fructose to raise cholesterol.
If your thyroid is low, fixing that is crucial too.

As I mentioned earlier, my take on things is if vitamin A is taken on its own when requirements aren't high (i.e. low metabolism, during winter or lack of sunshine exposure), it can cause problems, because in those situations, it won't get used to produce steroid hormones, and contrary to nutrition/physiology textbooks, I think it might accumulate in tissues and become susceptible to lipid peroxidation, because VA itself has an unsaturated structure. Vitamin E can probably prevent this though.

As long as vitamin D levels/sun exposure is regular, and thyroid is functioning well, regular liver will solve most skin problems. Vitamin E and C can further protect and spare vitamin A, so you'll need to eat less of it.

mrchibbs

Wow. Your history resonates with me a lot. 2 years ago I got IBD out of nowhere. I attribute much of my success with completely irradiating and it and now having an amazing digestive system thanks to this forum. I wish more people would talk and discuss. If u are healthy always more room to improve. We have one or two scientists out there working on solutions and their motivations aren't even the right ones. Imagine what we can do with hundreds if people throwing ideas back and forth. I am going to post a lengthy post on my blog later this week on what i believe with high confidence is the cause of AGA and how we can solve hair all backed by solid studies. This week has been exciting! Thanks for sharing @mrchibbs

No worries. I've shared my story a couple times, and it seems to be very similar to what other people have gone through. We all go through the same ***t basically. As young adults we had no clue/understanding how deleterious stress could be. This forum is very therapeutic for this reason, to share and learn from one another, and I think it fits into what Ray believes, that taking charge of our lives and interacting with others makes us a bit more human.

I can't wait for your blog post, funnily enough I am writing a huge post on hair loss that I will post on my blog too, it might be interesting to compare and see how our perspectives of hair loss differ.

Jennifer

Thanks for sharing, @GorillaHead and @mrchibbs! That makes sense. I started taking kakadu plum powder for vitamin C (and other nutrients like vitamin E) because ascorbic acid and even Quali-C give me major indigestion. I'll probably just stick with mainly egg yolks and occasional liver for A since too much beta carotene and I turn orange likely because my thyroid is still struggling some. I've been able to reduce my thyroid dose, but I still need 1/2 a grain of NDT to keep my extremities warm/adrenaline down.

Have you ever had any issues with your kidneys, GorillaHead? Lower back pain makes me think kidneys (or intestinal inflammation/bloating but your digestion is good so it's likely not that).

GorillaHead

No worries. I've shared my story a couple times, and it seems to be very similar to what other people have gone through. We all go through the same ***t basically. As young adults we had no clue/understanding how deleterious stress could be. This forum is very therapeutic for this reason, to share and learn from one another, and I think it fits into what Ray believes, that taking charge of our lives and interacting with others makes us a bit more human.

I can't wait for your blog post, funnily enough I am writing a huge post on hair loss that I will post on my blog too, it might be interesting to compare and see how our perspectives of hair loss differ.

No way! Thats amazing! Be on the look out for it! I should have it all done on Friday! Personally i can say I have officially stopped my excessive shedding and I am no longer on finasteride. Definitely share your post when you get a chance!

Thanks for sharing, @GorillaHead and @mrchibbs! That makes sense. I started taking kakadu plum powder for vitamin C (and other nutrients like vitamin E) because ascorbic acid and even Quali-C give me major indigestion. I'll probably just stick with mainly egg yolks and occasional liver for A since too much beta carotene and I turn orange likely because my thyroid is still struggling some. I've been able to reduce my thyroid dose, but I still need 1/2 a grain of NDT to keep my extremities warm/adrenaline down.

Have you ever had any issues with your kidneys, GorillaHead? Lower back pain makes me think kidneys (or intestinal inflammation/bloating but your digestion is good so it's likely not that).

I think you misread my post. Not back pain. Back acne. Lol.

I appreciate you helping though!

Guys what are your thoughts on this study
High-dose Progesterone Infusion in Healthy Males: Evidence Against Antiglucocorticoid Activity of Progesterone - PubMed

Jennifer

I think you misread my post. Not back pain. Back acne. Lol.

I appreciate you helping though!
Whoops! Sorry about that! PUFA build up makes more sense to me now. lol

Not sure if you've seen these already or if you'll find them helpful, but I was looking through the peatarian email exchanges this morning hoping to get an idea of a Peaty source of A I could replace the liver with (I completely forgot about oysters) and just looked up acne:

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals