Positive DHEA Results With A Side-effect I Want To Eliminate

I am overall experiencing good effects from DHEA supplementation at 10mg a day, I am taking a time release version. I take this in the morning together with 10mg pregnenolone, aspirin, salt, coffee, 100 calories sugar, 100 calories coconut oil, protein source like eggs or cheese, b vitamins.

When I take it I notice overall increased energy / focus / libido / decreased body pain / positive attitude - lots of good things. The trouble however is at the beginning two hours after dosing I will feel a sort of edgy low blood sugar feeling, it is not the same as feeling lethargic - I feel alert but a subtle weak at legs / light-headed feeling, like the feeling you might pass out when you start to go pale from low blood sugar - my body temperature is normal around this time, there is a slight anxious feeling - not excruciating - but not desirable.

Lower 5mg dose gives me the same feeling, not taking with pregnenolone or taking more pregnenolone also produce the same results. With or without food seems about the same too. I have also tried not taking coffee at the same time but this seems to make it worse. I'm looking for help on suggestions of other things I can look in to that may possibly help to smooth out the first few hours. I am also curious if there is simply an adaptation phase where this is a common side effect - but that goes away after a few months.

Please let me know your thoughts, thank you RPF.

Last edited:
OP
Captain_Coconut
bump

OP
Captain_Coconut
Well I ended up reading anecdotal accounts on other forums that this effect can just be part of an adjustment phase. I will just roll with it and hope for the best, I do wish there was something I could do to mitigate the side effect but I haven’t found anything.

Frankdee20

Oral? I’m dying to try my 5 mg caps

OP
Captain_Coconut
Yes, oral time release, vitacost brand.

I’ve tried with more food yes, same issue but slightly more delayed.

GreekGod

try a sub lingual dhea or a cream...I think the studies are that oral dhea can cause problems in the liver. Try eating raw eggs with a splash of olive oil and some raw honey. It works well for me.