Ideas For Something To Put On Crackers?

Light

I have wheat bran crackers to help with chronic constipation and can't figure out what to have them with,
until a few days ago I had cheese, but all dairy exacerbates constipation so it's out of the question.
I've been a vegetarian since I was 9 years old since all animal product (other that gelatin) were gross to me, and still are.

There are sweet stuff - chocolate, jam...
But I have nothing for savoury, any ides?

L

lollipop

Orange/ginger Marmalade. Yummy.

Edit: you wanted savory:

Liverwurst
Egg salad
Cooked mushrooms

Last edited by a moderator:

zewe

pâté....oops animal product....Hand me the crackers; I'll take care of that for you.

Herbie

Liver and eggs disgust me, lady’s they are all yours.

Avocado and vegemite (yeast extract) could be nice. Disclaimer: I’m not endorsing yeast consumption of mufa)

jitsmonkey

you'd be far better off using cascara sagrada, magnesium, vitamin C, etc, etc, for improving bowel transit time.
you're just making your digestive tract issues worse.

and @lisaferraro Orange Marmalade & Mushrooms (not together ;-) (mushrooms salty and cooked forever) is a stellar suggestion if cracker you must.

Ella

Forum Supporter
you'd be far better off using cascara sagrada, magnesium, vitamin C, etc, etc, for improving bowel transit time.

and @lisaferraro Orange Marmalade & Mushrooms (not together ;-) (mushrooms salty and cooked forever) is a stellar suggestion if cracker you must.

If you add jalapeno peppers to that orange marmalade it will be a die-for, topped onto some mushroom pate with crackers. I have had a bounty yield of citrus and have been busy making as many different varieties of marmalade . The spicy jalapeno is by far everyone's favourite. Teams perfectly with all types of meats.

L

lollipop

LoLoL...definitely not together. I tried the mushrooms on a rice cake once - pretty yummy I must say - put a bit of homemade salsa - even more yummy...

L

lollipop

If you add jalapeno peppers to that orange marmalade it will be a die-for, topped onto some mushroom pate with crackers. I have had a bounty yield of citrus and have been busy making as many different varieties of marmalade . The spicy jalapeno is by far everyone's favourite. Teams perfectly with all types of meats.
Okay, now that is interesting. I bet it would be totally delish - especially on top of the mushrooms for a concentrated burst of flavor. What do you think @jitsmonkey?

OP
Light

Light

bruschetta?
What an excellent idea, made me think that herbs in general, mixed with olive oil/butter could be quite good, also reminded me that salsa is an option,

Avocado and vegemite
Don't have vegemite where I am,
Avocado is what i've been having for the past few days, but yesterday reading one of Peat's articles he mentions avocado as having high PUFA,
cronometer says only about 12% of the fat, and 2% of the total weight is PUFA, so not the end of the world,
I remembered avocado has other toxins, but as I searched for it just now (Dr Michael Greger, gives a rundown of studies in a video about avocado toxicity):

I guess avocados are back on the menu.

I am taking magnesium, and I get vit C from OJ, but not sure about cascara,
I read on the forum that other people have used it for a year and even longer without developing dependence,
but i'm worried about causing an even lazier colon in the long run.
Why would having wheat bran make things worse?

If you add jalapeno peppers to that orange marmalade it will be a die-for
That does sound friggn good

jitsmonkey

Why would having wheat bran make things worse?

There are two ways to speed transit time
by improving function/decreasing stress or by increasing irritation
fiber "works" because its irritating AF
more magnesium, more C, etc.... if you're already taking them.

If you're concerned about the "dependence" re: Cascara
you already have a "dependence" on irritation which is far worse than any dependence on Cascara or otherwise.

None of my suggestions are ideal, ideal would be remedying the situation permanently
but alas this is not Eden its REALITY. So increased motility/transit time is better "stimulated"
through substances that help vs hurt.

OP
Light

Light

If you're concerned about the "dependence" re: Cascara
Read Peat's article about it twice in recent weeks,
at some point he starts writing about a Novartis drug that caused all kinda problems,
and it seemed to me that the cascara reference was unfinished.
BTW I wouldn't mind if I had to take some cascara/emodin every day for the rest of my life, the worry is about things getting worse - needing more and more and getting less and less, really to a point where the bowels stop having any independent movement.
Are you speaking from personal experience?
Are you using/have used cascara and found it beneficial?

jitsmonkey

I am speaking as someone who's had digestive issues for 40+ years
cascara is a far better long term option than fiber if your only choice is
a long term option.
Meaning obviously if you can get to the bottom of your problem and remedy it by all means.
but if you're going to actively increase transit time there are many better ways than fiber.
I use all the things I mentioned at various times C, mag, cascara, food, etc....
the most effective digestive tool I've used has been doxycycline as that improved things drastically
c, mag, cascara, eating well have all contributed to keeping things functioning well
and getting me back on track when I eat stupidly or for fun and enjoyment whichever you wanna call it ;-)

If push came to shove and you told me "you can be dependent on fiber or cascara for the rest of your life to speed transit time" I'd choose cascara without hesitation. I don't think you're facing that kind of binary question but that's how I see it after a ridiculous amount of experimentation and suffering.

OP
Light

Light

I am speaking as someone who's had digestive issues for 40+ years
Good, I always prefer talking to someone with personal experience than someone who just read it somewhere and knows the theory,
I know taling about poop is indelicate, especially in a thread about recipes... but can you detail your progress?
How much cascara/emodin are you taking? How long have you been taking it for? Orally or Topically?
How many BM's a day? Their quality? (sorry, I know it's a bit much but I decided when I joined this forum to have everything on the table, I hope you don't mind :)

Glassy

Good, I always prefer talking to someone with personal experience than someone who just read it somewhere and knows the theory,
I know taling about poop is indelicate, especially in a thread about recipes... but can you detail your progress?
How much cascara/emodin are you taking? How long have you been taking it for? Orally or Topically?
How many BM's a day? Their quality? (sorry, I know it's a bit much but I decided when I joined this forum to have everything on the table, I hope you don't mind :)

I use cascara when I feel my bowels are slowing down. When I first started using it I was super sensitive to its stimulating effects but now I don’t get the same reaction. I took it every day for at least 2 weeks slowly increasing the dosage (I started with a super small amount). I found it much easier and consistent to dose by putting some in a small bottle and pouring hot water over it. I’d then shake the bottle and take a little of the cooled bitter liquid in some OJ. On the whole I think my bowels are better for using it and only get backed up when I change my diet significantly (I take some at night if I travel for work).

On the cracker topic, I found making home made mayonnaise with liquid coconut oil or MCT oil to really open up my cracker options. Once you have a tasty mayonnaise that isn’t full of canola you can mix it with so many things to form a dip. Baked eggplant, garlic, mayonnaise & salt blended makes a great eggplant dip. You can also experiment by mixing mayonnaise with your favourite peat friendly condiment. Mayonnaise with cheese/ham and tomato is pretty tasty in itself.

fradon

I have wheat bran crackers to help with chronic constipation and can't figure out what to have them with,
until a few days ago I had cheese, but all dairy exacerbates constipation so it's out of the question.
I've been a vegetarian since I was 9 years old since all animal product (other that gelatin) were gross to me, and still are.

There are sweet stuff - chocolate, jam...
But I have nothing for savoury, any ides?

not to put doo doo on your cracker idea BUT check to see if the crackers are iron fortified because if they are then they are contributing to your constipation. iron causes constipation. natural sources of iron would be fine but if its supplemental iron, iron fortification in food causes constipation.

if your crackers are good then you can put refried beans on them

OP
Light

Light

not to put doo doo on your cracker idea BUT check to see if the crackers are iron fortified because if they are then they are contributing to your constipation. iron causes constipation. natural sources of iron would be fine but if its supplemental iron, iron fortification in food causes constipation.

if your crackers are good then you can put refried beans on them
I make the crackers myself from wheat bran, egg, butter, baking powder (Aluminium free) and salt, so no added Iron.
If beans are an option so it opens up the door to Hummus, Black Bean Dip etc. but I thought they were too toxic to bother with, even after soaking and pressure cooking.
On the cracker topic, I found making home made mayonnaise with liquid coconut oil or MCT oil to really open up my cracker options.
That's a great idea! It didn't occur to me that the ingredients of mayo are all pro metabolic.
I used to make aioli with olive oil and roasted garlic - yummy, and now it can get back on the menu :)
Thanks!

On the whole I think my bowels are better for using it and only get backed up when I change my diet significantly
That's good news, may I ask if you had chronic constipation that was helped by Cascara, or was it caused from changing the diet?
(because i've had chronic constipation since childhood, i'm trying to figure out if emodin can bring on a deeper healing for the gut)

Runenight201

I make the crackers myself from wheat bran, egg, butter, baking powder (Aluminium free) and salt, so no added Iron.
If beans are an option so it opens up the door to Hummus, Black Bean Dip etc. but I thought they were too toxic to bother with, even after soaking and pressure cooking.

How intensive is the cracker making process, how long does it take you, is it cost effective, and how tasty are they? Would you say they taste better than supermarket bread? I'm flirting with the idea of increasing my whole grain consumption (in a stark opposition to Peaty principles lol) after reading Amazoniac's post with gut health literature. I have had positively good experiences with lentils, in terms of bowel movement quality, they are consistently green and smooth now, with no poorly digested food found in them, and so I want to see where the line is on fiber for me and how much further I can go. I have no interest in using fiber supplements, but just ingesting more yummy food with fiber in them. Bread is easy, but I'm a little more cautious about brown rice and whole grain pasta.

In terms of something to put on top of crackers, again in stark contrast to most people's opinions here, I'm going to start putting avocado/guac spread on it (and maybe make an Instagram post next to my green smoothie and yoga mat =P), mainly because the avocado is a great source of potassium and especially magnesium, and I'm lacking magnesium in my diet. I believe the PUFA effects can be mitigated through extra Vitamin E supplementation (although personally, if I'm being perfectly honest, following Peat's recommendations down to the T wrecked me more than being more liberal with my diet and following what works for me).

Edit: looked back at this thread and realized people recommended avocadoes lol. Its damn tasty!

Last edited:
OP
Light

Light

How intensive is the cracker making process, how long does it take you, is it cost effective, and how tasty are they?
Real easy, I don't really enjoy cooking and only do it for health reasons - to know what's in my food and to have fresh good quality stuff, so I always look for easy recipes, for these cracker:
Combine:
1 egg,
2 cups bran,
1/4 cup butter,
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon baking powder.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll out thin on parchment paper and cut into squares.
Bake at 400° (204 C) for 20-50 minutes. (the edges are done first and need to be removed, otherwise they will burn).

I'm going to start putting avocado/guac spread on it (and maybe make an Instagram post next to my green smoothie and yoga mat =P), mainly because the avocado is a great source of potassium and especially magnesium, and I'm lacking magnesium in my diet. I believe the PUFA effects can be mitigated through extra Vitamin E supplementation
I've actually looked up avocado in cronometer and its PUFA content is not that bad, the fats in it are mostly MUFA and saturated.

in terms of bowel movement quality, they are consistently green
GREEN!? Man, eating green foods shouldn't make your BM's green,
as far as I know green poop means something is off with bile - which might also explain why you had undigested food in it.

Runenight201

GREEN!? Man, eating green foods shouldn't make your BM's green,
as far as I know green poop means something is off with bile - which might also explain why you had undigested food in it.

haha ok interesting. Didn't know that. Something else to check for optimal health then. There's been times when they've been dark brown, but I'll have to turn my awareness towards what foods make them brown vs when they are green.

Real easy, I don't really enjoy cooking and only do it for health reasons - to know what's in my food and to have fresh good quality stuff, so I always look for easy recipes, for these cracker:
Combine:
1 egg,
2 cups bran,
1/4 cup butter,
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon baking powder.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll out thin on parchment paper and cut into squares.
Bake at 400° (204 C) for 20-50 minutes. (the edges are done first and need to be removed, otherwise they will burn).

Might have to give these a go when I've got some time. I just bought some soybean oil infested whole wheat bread...the safe bread was too expensive lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals