Date Vanilla Milk Shake

mimi

Hey y'all!

I'm pretty new to the Peat-universe… so, it could very well be the case that I don't get all the principles etc. – be patient with me, ya? ;)

I thought I'd share a recipe, one I have just created for lunch.

Date Vanilla Milk Shake

Ingredients:
– 1 1/2 cups of grass-fed milk (1,5 %, pasteurized)
– 5 big medjool dates
– pinch of salt
– 1 tsp (refined) coconut oil
– 1/4 tsp vanilla powder (I guess vanilla extract would work, too)
– 2 egg yolks (free-range, organic)

This is how I did it:
I threw all the ingredients in my handy dandy high speed blender and let it all blend on medium for a few seconds.
Pretty good blender. Texture is really creamy, no lumps. I don't know how it would turn out with an inversion blender… maybe a bit lumpy?

Anyway. It's delicious. Sweet, creamy, vanilla-y. Like room-temperature ice cream milk shake.

It would be great to add some gelatin powder to this, I think, but right now I simply can't get over the fact that this stuff comes from animal skin, so it will take some time to get used to it. Gelatin makes me gag; not because of the taste – it's pretty natural, doesn't smell or anything. I'm using the hydrolyzed collagen; I wish I could just forget the thought that it comes from a dead animal. :( I am not vegetarian anymore, also don't want to be one anymore. (Was a vegan/fruitarian for 6 years and vegetarian for over 10.)

Anyways… I contributed my first recipe on here! Yay! Have a great day everyone.

Effect of the shake described:
Happy thoughts, alertness, satiated.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yum! :P

Mittir

Looks very tasty and nutritious.
It is a nice mix of several super foods in one drink.
Is that raw egg yolk or cooked?

OP
mimi

mimi

Mittir said:
Looks very tasty and nutritious.
It is a nice mix of several super foods in one drink.
Is that raw egg yolk or cooked?

the yolks are raw!! :) I like them best that way.

mt_dreams

Nice recipe.
I added coffee & some cocoa and to the ingredients above and it worked out great.

Mimi I noticed that you use to be vegetarian so I can understand how eating skin may seem revolting. That said, once you get over the hump, all things should be easy to eat. Think about it, if you can eat eggs coming out of chickens, milk coming out of cows, muscle meat from inside animals, then these animals' skin shouldn't carry any extra disgust factor. I make pork cracklings which is pork skin, and I actually enjoy them more than the actual meat from pigs.

BingDing

Whoa, you make your own pork cracklings mt-dreams? You gotta tell us about that, man. Where do you get the skins? What oil do you use? Fess up!

Dutchie

mt_dreams said:
Nice recipe.
I added coffee & some cocoa and to the ingredients above and it worked out great.

Mimi I noticed that you use to be vegetarian so I can understand how eating skin may seem revolting. That said, once you get over the hump, all things should be easy to eat. Think about it, if you can eat eggs coming out of chickens, milk coming out of cows, muscle meat from inside animals, then these animals' skin shouldn't carry any extra disgust factor. I make pork cracklings which is pork skin, and I actually enjoy them more than the actual meat from pigs.

I don't know what pork crackling is,but isn't pork high in PUFAS/O6? Do you eat it for the gelatin? I've always loved chickenskin,since I discovered it through Paleo,but from what I've gathered is that it's high in PUFAfat but the skin also contains the gelatin.:( I too,liked the skin better than the actual meat itself.

OP
mimi

mimi

mt_dreams said:
Nice recipe.

Thanks!
Yeah, you're right. Rationally, I'm totally with you… I don't know why I feel so 'blocked' with this! I added some hydrolyzed collagen to my ice cream (awesome!) and it kinda worked for me to eat it that way. :D step by step, I guess...

mt_dreams

Although this is not regarding the initial topic, pork skin does contain PUFA but when I prepare it I remove the thin fat layer that comes with the skin so the fat content is less than commercial brands. By weight, it's mostly gelatin, a rough guess would be at least 2/3 if not more. I give in to 'non peat' indulgences every now and then when I meet with friends, and I'd much rather eat this than say nuts or 'healthy potato chips' as a salty snack. I get it from a farmer who pasture raises his hogs a couple hours outside of Toronto. Pasture raised small size hog farming is the only way to go, as conventional pigs carry lots of toxins in their fat. I use a pressure cooker b/c it gives better texture than a oven, especially since i remove the fat layer. Lots of recipes available online. I use only filtered coconut oil for this. I vaguely remember reading something of Peat's saying to cook bacon, then re-cook it in coconut oil for some reason ... though this might be the sudden urge for some pork skin creeping into my awareness.

Dutchie

mt_dreams said:
Although this is not regarding the initial topic, pork skin does contain PUFA but when I prepare it I remove the thin fat layer that comes with the skin so the fat content is less than commercial brands. By weight, it's mostly gelatin, a rough guess would be at least 2/3 if not more. I give in to 'non peat' indulgences every now and then when I meet with friends, and I'd much rather eat this than say nuts or 'healthy potato chips' as a salty snack. I get it from a farmer who pasture raises his hogs a couple hours outside of Toronto. Pasture raised small size hog farming is the only way to go, as conventional pigs carry lots of toxins in their fat. I use a pressure cooker b/c it gives better texture than a oven, especially since i remove the fat layer. Lots of recipes available online. I use only filtered coconut oil for this. I vaguely remember reading something of Peat's saying to cook bacon, then re-cook it in coconut oil for some reason ... though this might be the sudden urge for some pork skin creeping into my awareness.

I can get chickenskin,though from commercial chicken unfortunately,pretty cheap. Someone advised me to boil the chickenskin bc it's too thin to roast in the oven long enough to get the fat out.
I have no idea how it works,but would this method leave the skin virtually fatless but good source of gelatin....and a drier crispy food?
Ive tried several times of making broth from beef and lamb bones,following recipes to the T,but always ended up throwing it away bc it tasted like sh*t....

Actually it's the other way round.....pork is the only animal that doesn't store it's toxins in the fat but in the meat. I suspect that's why porkmeat in general is tagged as imflammatory.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dutchie said:
Actually it's the other way round.....pork is the only animal that doesn't store it's toxins in the fat but in the meat.
Wow. Didn't know that about the toxins in pork. Good to know, thanks Dutchie. :hattip

mt_dreams

Thanks Dutchie, I didn't know that toxins from pig are stored in the meat, not the fat. I guess that's why prior to the seed oil revolution most people were frying with lard (pure pig fat).

I'm not a fan of drinking broth straight, so I usually add it to stews or use it to cook rice.

HDD

I was eating large amounts of pork and the fat of pork when I was on a paleo diet. The ms symptoms that I experienced 4 months into the diet should remind me to never touch pork again.
. However, as time passes, I return to poor food choices occasionally, and decided to eat a Cuban sandwich which contains 2 types of pork meat. I had allergy symptoms later that day, then stomach upset, and the following 2 days arthritis pain/stiffness. I am not sure if all was due to the pork, but it was enough of a wake up call for me to steer clear of it again.

"The observation that multiple sclerosis is associated with the consumption of pork and horsemeat, but not beef, lamb, or goat, is very interesting, since the fat of those animals is essentially like the fats of the plant materials that they eat, meaning that it is extremely high in linoleic and linolenic acids."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ms.shtml

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Haagendazendiane said:
However, as time passes, I return to poor food choices occasionally, and decided to eat a Cuban sandwich which contains 2 types of pork meat. I had allergy symptoms later that day, then stomach upset, and the following 2 days arthritis pain/stiffness. I am not sure if all was due to the pork, but it was enough of a wake up call for me to steer clear of it again.
Love me a Cuban sandwich! Yum! :P

The Cuban bread has gluten in it so that could cause a reaction. Also the mayonnaise will have soy in it most likely. But yeh pork is pretty bad too. :lol:

HDD

I don't have any allergy symptoms to the occasional piece of bread or mayonnaise so that is why I thought it was the pork. There might have been something else on the sandwich that triggered the reaction but I don't normally have allergic reaction to the weekly restaurant meal I can't avoid.

Dutchie

Yeah...so eating bacon is better than ham....but still bacon is high PUFA&06, so I guess the lesson is:

Don't eat pork! ;)

honeybee

This recipe is excellent thanks for sharing!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals