Mexico City Food Guide

yerrag

I'm in Mexico City for a bit... Seems difficult to avoid PUFAs here. Also everyone seems more hypothyroid than I've seen almost anywhere. It's kinda crazy. Nearly every single person looks sick.
Enjoy the travel and the food nonetheless! I think you can say that of any place you go. Restos and chefs know squat about health, much less about SFAs and PUFAs in relation to it. Take more aspirin, niacinamide, Vitamin E, and coconut oil as you go about your travel. The alternative is to have a campfire and cook your own food lol

OP
frant26

frant26

I'm in Mexico City for a bit... Seems difficult to avoid PUFAs here. Also everyone seems more hypothyroid than I've seen almost anywhere. It's kinda crazy. Nearly every single person looks sick.

Which part of the city are you visiting? In my opinion, it is FAR easier to avoid PUFAs in Mexico than in the U.S. Ripe fruit and milk products are widely available and cheap. Read this thread, there are a lot of ways of eating healthy. And i'm pretty surprised about your remark about people, I don't notice the same thing (not saying they look super healthy either). How exactly do they look sick?

In my last trip to Los Angeles I recall seeing so many destroyed people – a LOT of cases of people requiring assistance to walk/move, other talking alone, some other playing violent video games, not to mention the obscenely obese.

Ficini

I just moved to Mexico City. I’m very impressed with the quick effects the high altitude had on my body. My pulse got up from 70 to 85, while my spO2 got down from 95 to 90. There is a pleasant feeling of a pressure being lifted from my system. I can understand why this is helpful.

However, my first impression with the food in supermarkets was negative. I found no milk without vitamin A or D added and the cheese is horrendous: reading the long list of what they put in them, I can only ask myself: WHY?

Any ideas where do I get some good cheese/milk over here? Everything else I eat is fine and available: fruits, meat, some 100% juices, carrots, mushrooms, eggs, liver.

managing

I just moved to Mexico City. I’m very impressed with the quick effects the high altitude had on my body. My pulse got up from 70 to 85, while my spO2 got down from 95 to 90. There is a pleasant feeling of a pressure being lifted from my system. I can understand why this is helpful.

However, my first impression with the food in supermarkets was negative. I found no milk without vitamin A or D added and the cheese is horrendous: reading the long list of what they put in them, I can only ask myself: WHY?

Any ideas where do I get some good cheese/milk over here? Everything else I eat is fine and available: fruits, meat, some 100% juices, carrots, mushrooms, eggs, liver.
You will find that most of the milk is ultra-pasteurized too. I find artisinal cheeses in small markets pretty commonly in smaller cities and towns in Queretaro and Guanajuato. But fresh wholesome milk is pretty elusive. And you have to wonder about the sanitation practices. If you ask your neighbors where you can buy comida artisinal or comida litoral, there is likely a small market not far away where you can buy these things. It is poorly marked and you would never notice it. Probably down a side street. But people in the neighborhood will know.

managing

You will find that most of the milk is ultra-pasteurized too. I find artisinal cheeses in small markets pretty commonly in smaller cities and towns in Queretaro and Guanajuato. But fresh wholesome milk is pretty elusive. And you have to wonder about the sanitation practices. If you ask your neighbors where you can buy comida artisinal or comida litoral, there is likely a small market not far away where you can buy these things. It is poorly marked and you would never notice it. Probably down a side street. But people in the neighborhood will know.
Here's All The Cheese You Need to Eat in Mexico City

Refreshed my memory. I have been the mercado San Juan mentioned in the article. You'll find everything you want and more if it is convenient. But I am sure there are also some smaller more modest places nearby. BTW, Restaurante El Cardenal is one of the oldest continuous operating restaurants in the world. It is awesome and a step back into traditional, hand-made food from the past. It is not especially expensive either. We stock up on their chocolate for drinking when we are there. They make it themselves and it is awesome. "Abuelita" brand is garbage.

Ficini

Here's All The Cheese You Need to Eat in Mexico City

Refreshed my memory. I have been the mercado San Juan mentioned in the article. You'll find everything you want and more if it is convenient. But I am sure there are also some smaller more modest places nearby. BTW, Restaurante El Cardenal is one of the oldest continuous operating restaurants in the world. It is awesome and a step back into traditional, hand-made food from the past. It is not especially expensive either. We stock up on their chocolate for drinking when we are there. They make it themselves and it is awesome. "Abuelita" brand is garbage.

Thank you! I will check it out. There must be some good cheese somewhere in this country. Until then, the nixtamal tortillas have a good amount of calcium too, also I can dissolve some eggshells in lemon juice. :)

managing

Thank you! I will check it out. There must be some good cheese somewhere in this country. Until then, the nixtamal tortillas have a good amount of calcium too, also I can dissolve some eggshells in lemon juice. :)
My two favorites:

Panela. A semisoft cheese kind of like tomme de st georges .

Queso Oaxaca. You will find bad versions of this in grocery stores. If you ever go to San Miguel de Allende (which I recommend) I can give you the address of a house where the best Queso Oaxaca is sold. The owners have a farm and dairy outside of town and sell the cheese out the front door to locals in the know.

Ficini

I wanted to go to San Miguel, but Queretaro seems to be a much safer option right now. First I want to enjoy high altitude of Mexico City, then maybe Puebla or Tlaxcala and after that getting lower to San Miguel / Queretaro / Guanajuato which are at about 1800m. :)

You are right, Oaxaca Cheese in the supermarket is horrible, but I am sure ther’re different versions. I didn’t find Haagen Dazs yet. Any tips for that. Thank you again for your help.

managing

I wanted to go to San Miguel, but Queretaro seems to be a much safer option right now. First I want to enjoy high altitude of Mexico City, then maybe Puebla or Tlaxcala and after that getting lower to San Miguel / Queretaro / Guanajuato which are at about 1800m. :)

You are right, Oaxaca Cheese in the supermarket is horrible, but I am sure ther’re different versions. I didn’t find Haagen Dazs yet. Any tips for that. Thank you again for your help.
THere are Haagen Dazs stores in some places. I know I've seen them in DF. Maybe google that for your area.

Puebla and Tlaxcala are both awesome. A little farther out is Cuernavaca, which is nice too, but not as high (5000' or so iirc).

As for safe, SMA is quite safe. But check your route. The Jalisco and Sinaloa cartels, and offshoots have compromised parts of the state of Guanajuato such as Celaya, Salamanca and other cities in the south/west of the state. But the city of Guanajuato (which I like even more than SMA) and SMA are still quite safe. Do your own homework and go by your own comfort level. But I travel there w/o worries still. I'll also travel during the daytime to Guadalajara and spend time in Guadalajara. But Chapala is not as safe as it used to be. And I won't travel on the highways anywhere at night time.

Regina

THere are Haagen Dazs stores in some places. I know I've seen them in DF. Maybe google that for your area.

Puebla and Tlaxcala are both awesome. A little farther out is Cuernavaca, which is nice too, but not as high (5000' or so iirc).

As for safe, SMA is quite safe. But check your route. The Jalisco and Sinaloa cartels, and offshoots have compromised parts of the state of Guanajuato such as Celaya, Salamanca and other cities in the south/west of the state. But the city of Guanajuato (which I like even more than SMA) and SMA are still quite safe. Do your own homework and go by your own comfort level. But I travel there w/o worries still. I'll also travel during the daytime to Guadalajara and spend time in Guadalajara. But Chapala is not as safe as it used to be. And I won't travel on the highways anywhere at night time.

That sounds so awesome. I can't wait to visit there some day.
Whenever I mention that I want to move to Mexico, people say, "What'ya nuts? With the cartels?" Our banking cartels are the evilest gun-running, drug-running, money-laundering POS's on the planet. They just take whatever they want with a smile and wear a bowtie.

OP
frant26

frant26

Supermarket cheese has gotten worse and worse. In Superama (Condesa) I found a Oaxaca cheese made with: milk, rennet, salt. I don't recall the brand but it's a local brand with "solo 3 ingredientes" printed on the label.

Alternatively, they also sell italian cheese which is expensive but good quality.

OP
frant26

frant26

That sounds so awesome. I can't wait to visit there some day.
Whenever I mention that I want to move to Mexico, people say, "What'ya nuts? With the cartels?" Our banking cartels are the evilest gun-running, drug-running, money-laundering POS's on the planet. They just take whatever they want with a smile and wear a bowtie.

You should visit one day Regina! It's a bit chaotic but there's true beauty in it. Not so many "perfectly man made" landscapes as in the USA. There's plenty of safe areas in this city and in the country. Quality of life can be very good. And the benefit of not living in an Orwellian state (at least for now).

OP
frant26

frant26

There's Haagen Dazs at Superama.

Regina

You should visit one day Regina! It's a bit chaotic but there's true beauty in it. Not so many "perfectly man made" landscapes as in the USA. There's plenty of safe areas in this city and in the country. Quality of life can be very good. And the benefit of not living in an Orwellian state (at least for now).
:thumbsup::sunglasses:

managing

I lived there for a while... Was not a fan. Seemed like an overall negative place where being a damaged person & coping was the norm. CDMX is just too big.
To me DF is a quintessential "Love to visit, wouldn't want to live there". Also, complete cloud cover for major stretches. Surprising humidity (although not hot). And of course pollution.

Ficini

Thank you again for the important information. I already moved from Mexico City. I don’t like big city life that much anymore. Went to Teotihuacan for a more small Mexican town feel and for the pyramids. After this i will probably head south. After I think I have enough cold, I’ll try Guanajuato. :)

Supermarket cheese has gotten worse and worse. In Superama (Condesa) I found a Oaxaca cheese made with: milk, rennet, salt. I don't recall the brand but it's a local brand with "solo 3 ingredientes" printed on the label.

Alternatively, they also sell italian cheese which is expensive but good quality.

Thank you. Yes, I’ve found the Oaxaca 3 ingredients cheese and I plan to order together with some Haagen Dazs.

Also, about Cynomel. I remember I’ve read somewhere on the forum it is not available anymore, but I’ve found it in like the second pharmacy I tried.

managing

Thank you again for the important information. I already moved from Mexico City. I don’t like big city life that much anymore. Went to Teotihuacan for a more small Mexican town feel and for the pyramids. After this i will probably head south. After I think I have enough cold, I’ll try Guanajuato. :)

Thank you. Yes, I’ve found the Oaxaca 3 ingredients cheese and I plan to order together with some Haagen Dazs.

Also, about Cynomel. I remember I’ve read somewhere on the forum it is not available anymore, but I’ve found it in like the second pharmacy I tried.
Farmacias del Ahorro carries it. Crazy cheap. They will deliver it to your door. They will not ask about a prescription.

managing

Farmacias del Ahorro carries it. Crazy cheap. They will deliver it to your door. They will not ask about a prescription.
I should add that they also sell a Ketotifen suspension made for children that is great for microdosing ketotifen. Each drop=10mcg.

encerent

As far as I could discover all coke and Pepsi here has added sucralose added, including any in glass bottles (ingredients not listed but I looked online)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals