Ideas for Peaty lunch box items for kids?

Epeatcurious

My kids are about to go back to school and I pack their lunch every day. My little boy has had pretty severe constipation his whole life and my daughter has blood sugar/ cortisol (I suspect thyroid) issues. I've been giving them low dairy because I always thought that that was best and especially for my sons constipation issues, but now that I'm learning to Peat I would like to up their nutrition especially when it comes to dairy. I'm thinking to send a milk box with lunch but the only one that I can find is organic and ultra-pasturized. I was always u der the impression that UP milk was terrible. What do you all think? Do the benefits outweigh the possible issues with UP milk? Id also love any ideas that any of you may have for easy nutritious lunch box ideas. Both of my kids still prefer something easy to eat, especially since they have a pretty short lunch break at school. I'm thinking cheese cubes (any suggestions on cheeses?) Fruit, cold cuts? What else? I've yet to find good bread, but if you were to make sandwiches, which kind would be best? We always did white rice wrapped with seaweed, we always used roasted seaweed that had safflower oil, so that will be out. I found some with olive oil, and I'll use that once in a while. Anyway, any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

shine

Cheese cubes, a cooked egg (pre-peeled so they just have to take it out and eat), fruit (grapes are good, and/or small slices/cubes of other fruit). In terms of bread I think toast made with butter instead of vegetable oils is the best option if they can tolerate it. But make sure to give them a childrens multivitamin that has B1 (thiamine) if you let them eat refined grains. Ray thinks nixtamalized corn is fine, but the wraps are often made with vegetable oil, so keep an eye out for that.

OP
Epeatcurious

Epeatcurious

Cheese cubes, a cooked egg (pre-peeled so they just have to take it out and eat), fruit (grapes are good, and/or small slices/cubes of other fruit). In terms of bread I think toast made with butter instead of vegetable oils is the best option if they can tolerate it. But make sure to give them a childrens multivitamin that has B1 (thiamine) if you let them eat refined grains. Ray thinks nixtamalized corn is fine, but the wraps are often made with vegetable oil, so keep an eye out for that.
What is nixtamalized corn? Examples?

Ben.

What is nixtamalized corn? Examples?

Masa harina.

The corn is essentially soaked in a alkaline solution (usually limewater). The niacin (vitamin b3) that is bound in the indigestible Corn's hemicellulose convertes to free niacin and becomes available for assimilation (people in spain/italy became vitamin b3 deficient (pellagra disease) "back in the days" because for many people corn was the majority of their food intake but they didnt use the traditional nixtamalization process when they started to grow corn.

Its also a necessary step to making a proper dough because the calcium in lime acts as a cross-linking agent for protein and polysaccharide acidic side chains.
It finds its uses in the production of tortillas and tortilla chips (but not corn chips), tamales and hominy for example-

traditionaly prepared grains (think sourdough) but also sprouting and nixtamalization with corn should be prefered to decrease antinutrients and increase the nutritional value.
Ideally you have some mexican store/place where you can buy GMO-Free organic tortillas ....

OP
Epeatcurious

Epeatcurious

Masa harina.

The corn is essentially soaked in a alkaline solution (usually limewater). The niacin (vitamin b3) that is bound in the indigestible Corn's hemicellulose convertes to free niacin and becomes available for assimilation (people in spain/italy became vitamin b3 deficient (pellagra disease) "back in the days" because for many people corn was the majority of their food intake but they didnt use the traditional nixtamalization process when they started to grow corn.

Its also a necessary step to making a proper dough because the calcium in lime acts as a cross-linking agent for protein and polysaccharide acidic side chains.
It finds its uses in the production of tortillas and tortilla chips (but not corn chips), tamales and hominy for example-

traditionaly prepared grains (think sourdough) but also sprouting and nixtamalization with corn should be prefered to decrease antinutrients and increase the nutritional value.
Ideally you have some mexican store/place where you can buy GMO-Free organic tortillas ....
I've always wondered which products use masa arina. In Colombia we eat arepas which are made from corn meal but I'm not sure if it's treated with lime or not. I don't think it is...

What do you think about the UP milk boxes?

TradClare

I always wrap sushi rice in nori and I've never seen nori that has any oil in it? Definitely avoid that, but I order plain nori easily in packs of 100 from amazon. Besides fresh fruits my kids love craisins, applesauce cups, string cheese, baby carrots, homemade brownies/cookies (made with unflavored coconut oil). I also make sourdough bread during the school year. One of my kids requests wedges of cold baked potato with barbecue sauce to dip. We don't do a lot of dairy and are more plant-based, with meat on Sundays and/or in soup. When it's cold I will pack thermoses of pastas or rice and (yikes) beans. I also pack burritos. We are high starch but no pufas. I feel so bad for all the pudgy kids whose parents are carb-restricting them or making them feel guilty for eating carbs, which are usually pufa junk carbs like chips and bars/cookies.

OP
Epeatcurious

Epeatcurious

I always wrap sushi rice in nori and I've never seen nori that has any oil in it? Definitely avoid that, but I order plain nori easily in packs of 100 from amazon. Besides fresh fruits my kids love craisins, applesauce cups, string cheese, baby carrots, homemade brownies/cookies (made with unflavored coconut oil). I also make sourdough bread during the school year. One of my kids requests wedges of cold baked potato with barbecue sauce to dip. We don't do a lot of dairy and are more plant-based, with meat on Sundays and/or in soup. When it's cold I will pack thermoses of pastas or rice and (yikes) beans. I also pack burritos. We are high starch but no pufas. I feel so bad for all the pudgy kids whose parents are carb-restricting them or making them feel guilty for eating carbs, which are usually pufa junk carbs like chips and bars/cookies.
We used to get the korean roasted seaweed. I guess I could just use nori...

FrenchKiwi

So do you think à starch based diet could be useful for leaning down? I am naturally drawn to a very starch heavy diet with fruit, low fat cottage Cheese, some eggs and low fat milk. But I am so confused whether starch is more fattening. Too much fruit makes me ravenous

TradClare

Try it and see? I know what you mean about fruit making you hungry. I kind of like that about it - you can have some in the morning or whenever and still get hungry for a meal. For me, fats are what can be fattening if I'm not really careful about eating small. I tried the whole coconut oil weight loss fad several years ago where you add 1-2 T to your food and I seemed to add 5 pounds in just a few days. We eat a lot of starch and a lot of fruits/sugars. I think it's hard to say that starches are fattening in themselves when starch-based populations tend to be slimmer than those who eat less starch. Personally I find dry starches (ie breads, crackers) way less satisfying than ones with their water like rice, pasta, potatoes.

FrenchKiwi

Try it and see? I know what you mean about fruit making you hungry. I kind of like that about it - you can have some in the morning or whenever and still get hungry for a meal. For me, fats are what can be fattening if I'm not really careful about eating small. I tried the whole coconut oil weight loss fad several years ago where you add 1-2 T to your food and I seemed to add 5 pounds in just a few days. We eat a lot of starch and a lot of fruits/sugars. I think it's hard to say that starches are fattening in themselves when starch-based populations tend to be slimmer than those who eat less starch. Personally I find dry starches (ie breads, crackers) way less satisfying than ones with their water like rice, pasta, potatoes.
I tried coconut oil too and it was a disaster. Pumpkin and potato ate the 2 starches I find the most filling. Do you get 100 grams of protein à day?

TradClare

At this point I don't worry about protein at all. I'm so conflicted by the longevity recommendations to keep it super low vs. peat 100+ and my skin is so much better without all the dairy. I grew up lowfat vegetarian and I wonder if that's why my system seems to prefer that. Leanness was the same when I was getting all the protein, I'm just eating a lot more volume now and better digestion

FrenchKiwi

At this point I don't worry about protein at all. I'm so conflicted by the longevity recommendations to keep it super low vs. peat 100+ and my skin is so much better without all the dairy. I grew up lowfat vegetarian and I wonder if that's why my system seems to prefer that. Leanness was the same when I was getting all the protein, I'm just eating a lot more volume now and better digestion
Thanks, I think I am very similar. At this point I am forcing the protein and it doesn't feel right. But the push for protein is everywhere so I doubt myself

My kids are about to go back to school and I pack their lunch every day. My little boy has had pretty severe constipation his whole life and my daughter has blood sugar/ cortisol (I suspect thyroid) issues. I've been giving them low dairy because I always thought that that was best and especially for my sons constipation issues, but now that I'm learning to Peat I would like to up their nutrition especially when it comes to dairy. I'm thinking to send a milk box with lunch but the only one that I can find is organic and ultra-pasturized. I was always u der the impression that UP milk was terrible. What do you all think? Do the benefits outweigh the possible issues with UP milk? Id also love any ideas that any of you may have for easy nutritious lunch box ideas. Both of my kids still prefer something easy to eat, especially since they have a pretty short lunch break at school. I'm thinking cheese cubes (any suggestions on cheeses?) Fruit, cold cuts? What else? I've yet to find good bread, but if you were to make sandwiches, which kind would be best? We always did white rice wrapped with seaweed, we always used roasted seaweed that had safflower oil, so that will be out. I found some with olive oil, and I'll use that once in a while. Anyway, any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.
Here are some of my lunches on the go....

Attachments

• 20210107_170524.jpg
    20210107_170524.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210120_180440.jpg
    20210120_180440.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210114_172629.jpg
    20210114_172629.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210120_180723.jpg
    20210120_180723.jpg