Hypothyroid. Unable To Sweat. Body Overheats Very Often

ilasj

Hello All,

I'm hypothyroid and am currently on Levothyroxine 25 mcg. I tried adding T3 to my T4, but it raised my already high cortisol and gave me huge mid section weight gain. So I had to stop T3 until I fix my high cortisol issues.

After supplementation, I'm not always cold like before and my temperature seems to be doing ok overall. However, I can't sweat no matter what. It's been a decade since I saw any sweating in my body. My body overheats very often and my feet usually burns. My hands get pretty warm as well. It gets so hot that when I touch people the heat radiates to their body.

What can I do to support my body to regulate its own temperature?

mrchibbs

Hello All,

I'm hypothyroid and am currently on Levothyroxine 25 mcg. I tried adding T3 to my T4, but it raised my already high cortisol and gave me huge mid section weight gain. So I had to stop T3 until I fix my high cortisol issues.

After supplementation, I'm not always cold like before and my temperature seems to be doing ok overall. However, I can't sweat no matter what. It's been a decade since I saw any sweating in my body. My body overheats very often and my feet usually burns. My hands get pretty warm as well. It gets so hot that when I touch people the heat radiates to their body.

Do you have access to a sauna? It could be helpful in reactivating your sweat glands and your skin pores. After years of hypothyroidism everything has atrophied in the skin typically.

Forsythia

A feeling of being burning hot and having burning hot skin are symptoms of both Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficiency. In addition to treating your hypothyrodism, suggest you also supplement with D and B12 and see if either or both help.

J

james2388

lots more background information is needed regarding gender, age, weight, activity. Too many people jump on thyroid without fixing the underlying problems. Thyroid is the gas pedal. And if you are out of gas, need an oil change, need more air in the tires, etc etc. So many things need to be in order for proper thyroid use.

gately

Though it's not popular on here, an iodine deficiency can cause this. Last year I needed a small amount of regular kelp when I had fallen into an iodine deficiency. I had moved to the mountains far away from a coast and my food was mostly milk, potatoes, and beef. Iodine isn't in much foods anymore, especially if you live away from the coast or don't eat enough seafood. Just a small regular amount of kelp, like one capsule a day for a month (nothing like the insane iodine dosages I see people use online) brought my sweating back and I only need to top off every now and then if I slack on seafood... I don't even take it very often anymore.

And +1 MrChibbs' suggestion, I also went through a long period being unable to sweat after long illness and even after I restored my body's functions, I still wasn't sweating. Turned out I just needed to "prime the pump" so to speak, and saunas turned it back on for me.

gaze

I think its an estrogren problem with low progesterone. Small amounts of caffeine (by small I mean whatever amount doesn't cause a stress reaction, orange juice, raw carrot, mushrooms will all help lower estrogen. Do you have good and frequent bowel movements?

OP
I

ilasj

Do you have access to a sauna? It could be helpful in reactivating your sweat glands and your skin pores. After years of hypothyroidism everything has atrophied in the skin typically.

I don't know if they are open during the covid situation, but I can obviously check. Would I be able to sweat in one session? That would be amazing if I did :happy:

OP
I

ilasj

A feeling of being burning hot and having burning hot skin are symptoms of both Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficiency. In addition to treating your hypothyrodism, suggest you also supplement with D and B12 and see if either or both help.

Yes and thank you for mentioning. I'm low on these two and supplement these regularly. I still get uncomfortably hot :(

OP
I

ilasj

lots more background information is needed regarding gender, age, weight, activity. Too many people jump on thyroid without fixing the underlying problems. Thyroid is the gas pedal. And if you are out of gas, need an oil change, need more air in the tires, etc etc. So many things need to be in order for proper thyroid use.

I totally agree, I may have made the same mistake, I don't know yet. I'm a F/34/127lbs/don't have a lot of routine physical activity but I go for walking whenever possible.

I was hesitant for a long time to start with thyroid supplementation for the same reason and also because my TSH was only a little above 2 and wasn't technically a hypothyroid on paper. But I was desperate and really wanted a change in my health and so started with a small dose of T4 (25 mcg) under medical supervision.

What other areas do you think I might have a problem which is not making my body regulate its temperature?

OP
I

ilasj

Though it's not popular on here, an iodine deficiency can cause this. Last year I needed a small amount of regular kelp when I had fallen into an iodine deficiency. I had moved to the mountains far away from a coast and my food was mostly milk, potatoes, and beef. Iodine isn't in much foods anymore, especially if you live away from the coast or don't eat enough seafood. Just a small regular amount of kelp, like one capsule a day for a month (nothing like the insane iodine dosages I see people use online) brought my sweating back and I only need to top off every now and then if I slack on seafood... I don't even take it very often anymore.

And +1 MrChibbs' suggestion, I also went through a long period being unable to sweat after long illness and even after I restored my body's functions, I still wasn't sweating. Turned out I just needed to "prime the pump" so to speak, and saunas turned it back on for me.

Great suggestion. It's true that most of us may be iodine deficient given the food choices. I'm currently on potassium iodide (226 mcg) daily. Also trying to incorporate a lot of shellfish in my diet.

I really hope I'm able to fix the underlying issue.

OP
I

ilasj

I think its an estrogren problem with low progesterone. Small amounts of caffeine (by small I mean whatever amount doesn't cause a stress reaction, orange juice, raw carrot, mushrooms will all help lower estrogen. Do you have good and frequent bowel movements?

Could be true, as I tend to have cysts in my ovaries which is also a low progesterone issue. Also the only place I gain weight is my mid section. Otherwise, I struggle with weight gain. Thank you for the great suggestions, I'm on progest-e, OJ, raw carrots and a cup of coffee already. I hope they help me.

Lollipop2

I'm on progest-e, OJ, raw carrots and a cup of coffee already. I hope they help me.
I would add in that healing takes time proportional to your starting place. I have noticed many people with deeper issues give up too soon. I am being honest here, healing can take years with many tweaks along the way. Good luck! I think finding Peat’s work will be enlightening.

gately

Iodine deficiency prevents sweating, you could try titrating up nascent iodine.
She's already stated she takes 226 mcg of iodine a day. Taking that dose plus regular seafood, I don't think taking any more is warranted.

redsun

Hello All,

When acetylcholine attaches to muscarinic receptors it triggers sweating. Zinc increases sensitivity of muscarinic receptors. Try eating plenty of eggs for choline and supplementing zinc until you can sweat.

Pharmacological doses of Zn2+ induce a muscarinic cholinergic supersensitivity - PubMed

BearWithMe

Hi @ilasj, I'm curious, are you feeling better now? Did your ability to sweat and regulate your temperature improved?

dfspcc20

@ilasj any update on this? I think iodine & zinc might have been the main recommendations here.

Curious since I have a similar issue. I'm not having any other obvious thyroid issues, but I'm barely sweating.
Example, yesterday, my temp in the afternoon was 98.5. Then I did something physically exertive outside in the sun, and my temp got up to 99.6. But barely any sweat; maybe just a little in the crotch/armpit areas.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals