Incurable hypothyroidism? Almost total resistance to T3? What to do?

This has been my clinical case for five years. It doesn't matter if I use T3 orally [Cynomel] or transdermally [Tyronene] I don't see any immediate results. Pulse and temperature do not change. I've been practicing a diet based entirely on Ray Peat's principles for five years and studying his texts to improve my diet.

But my hypothyroidism does not change. A pulse of 70 and a temperature of 36 C is common. And it doesn't matter if I use thyroid. It doesn't change.

If I try to increase the dose of thyroid grains [Cynoplus], if I try to go from 2 grains a day to 3, for example, T3-reverse goes up to very high levels.

In other words, a vicious circle is going on, where increasing NDT has a harmful effect and using T3 does not change temperature or pulse [even using Tironene megadose or more than 25 mcg of T3, Cynomel...]. The same thing happens if I try to boost the entry of T3 into cells while using B3 or AAS with T3. Nothing happens. Any ideas?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Nice to see you around again Gilson! Are you taking any other supplements not mentioned?

OP
gilson d dantas
Blossom
very happy to hear you blossom; I really like hear your opinions [always liked];
answering your question, Blossom: yes, I use other supplements;
some of them due to a chronic post-dengue pancreatitis that has been tormenting me: lidocaine, cycles of doxycycline and AAS, lisuride [and othrers anti-serotonin drugs];
Also, I normally use progesterone [Progest-E], LDN [low dose naltrexone], salt, B complex [Energin], vitamin E [TocoVit], Pyrucet, Gonadin, Stressnon, Pansterone, B3.
[My prostate tumor is controlled for 7 years thanks to R Peat; my current problems are post-dengue chronic pancreatitis and that incurable hipothyroidism]

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom
very happy to hear you blossom; I really like hear your opinions [always liked];
answering your question, Blossom: yes, I use other supplements;
some of them due to a chronic post-dengue pancreatitis that has been tormenting me: lidocaine, cycles of doxycycline and AAS, lisuride [and othrers anti-serotonin drugs];
Also, I normally use progesterone [Progest-E], LDN [low dose naltrexone], salt, B complex [Energin], vitamin E [TocoVit], Pyrucet, Gonadin, Stressnon, Pansterone, B3.
[My prostate tumor is controlled for 7 years thanks to R Peat; my current problems are post-dengue chronic pancreatitis and that incurable hipothyroidism]
Thank you, I’m so happy to hear that excellent news about your prostate! As far as I can tell it doesn’t look like anything you are taking should be interfering with the thyroid. I like the above potassium suggestion.
One thing I discovered about myself was that certain antibiotics long term can impact our body’s ability to handle oxalate in foods. The oxalate then can build up in various tissues like our thyroid gland, joints, kidneys etc. My thyroid works much better when I moderate my dietary oxalate intake. Doxycycline is one antibiotic that can cause this type of problem although certainly not for everyone but I figured I’d mention it just in case you want to research it further.

FitnessMike

At least your pulse is 70! =)

I'm in the same boat, but what iv learned is that having a good routine, a good nutritious diet, taking a bunch of supplements that are good at quenching stress response/help with natural production/improving conversion, over time will allow you to start tolerating small doses of NDT, and eventually increase NDT dose.

P

Peatness

I've been reading about choline lately and increasing my intake thanks to redsun. Do you eat eggs? B5 is also important

Eggs are also a good source of selenium which is good for the thyroid

Last edited by a moderator:

aliml

Jerkboy

You probably already have a high metabolism. You just have too high cortisol which inhibits you and it feels like you are hypothyroid.

Cortisol/adrenaline goes up with metabolism not the other way around.

People who can use thyroid obviously have low metabolism. If you already have high metabolism you will get anxiety and feel like ***t on it.

Did you do a lot of restrictive dieting years before Peat? That by itself can cause high cortisol/adrenaline and a "fast metabolism". Obviously when you are starving and in "fast metabolism" you don't get any benefits from having a fast metabolism. Plus the fast metabolism could be temporarily.

Eat more food and see how you feel.

Steve

I'm in the same boat.....been years now. I could probably take the entire bottle of T3 5 mcg pills, and absolutely nothing would happen. My temp and pulse do not budge, and I don't feel a thing. I finally gave up and just take T4 to bring my TSH down below one, and I take 2.5 mcg of T3 Ken Blanchard in his book said taking at least a small amount of T3 with T4 is beneficial....or something like that.

I have no idea how to get any affect from thyroid meds.
I started with NDT, and tried various brands. Then I switched to Levo and Cynomel the last few years.
There is only one noticeable effect that happens....my cholesterol will go up & down depending on the dose.
Other than that, there is nothing noticeable.

OP
gilson d dantas
I'm in the same boat.....been years now. I could probably take the entire bottle of T3 5 mcg pills, and absolutely nothing would happen. My temp and pulse do not budge, and I don't feel a thing. I finally gave up and just take T4 to bring my TSH down below one, and I take 2.5 mcg of T3 Ken Blanchard in his book said taking at least a small amount of T3 with T4 is beneficial....or something like that.

I have no idea how to get any affect from thyroid meds.
I started with NDT, and tried various brands. Then I switched to Levo and Cynomel the last few years.
There is only one noticeable effect that happens....my cholesterol will go up & down depending on the dose.
Other than that, there is nothing noticeable.
Indeed. That´s the problem! I use NDT [two grains daily] and nothing happens.
If a if I increase the NDT then comes the tragedy: T3-reverse rises, logically, locking the thyroid. A dead end. Broda Barnes was being partial when she said that it is enough to increase the dose of NDT [desiccated thyroid] until the point of healing. Not true!!!!!! There is no such thing in my case!!!!!!! If NDT is increased, T3-reverse appears and blocks the gland!
Not sure if R Peat refers to this catch 22 [paradox; dead end] in some text.
All I know is that B Barnes absolutely does not foresee this possibility when increasing NDT grains is no the way of healing the thyroid.
Just like you, I can use 20, 30 drops of Tironene on my wrist and NOTHING happens; I am insensitive to T3. What is bizarre!!!!

OP
gilson d dantas
How is your potassium levels? Most people are deficient, I myself saw a sizable reduction of hypothyroid symptoms since supplementing potassium bicarb and taurine each day.

(This write-up refers to the combination as K-Water or PTB)
At the lab, potassium is normal; besides I use too much oranje juice daily [and I use daily raw kale leaf tea]. So, perhaps the potassium hipothesis is not good

OP
gilson d dantas
Thank you, I’m so happy to hear that excellent news about your prostate! As far as I can tell it doesn’t look like anything you are taking should be interfering with the thyroid. I like the above potassium suggestion.
One thing I discovered about myself was that certain antibiotics long term can impact our body’s ability to handle oxalate in foods. The oxalate then can build up in various tissues like our thyroid gland, joints, kidneys etc. My thyroid works much better when I moderate my dietary oxalate intake. Doxycycline is one antibiotic that can cause this type of problem although certainly not for everyone but I figured I’d mention it just in case you want to research it further.
Good point. Good idea to research. The problem is: twice or three times by year I must to do a cycle of two weeks of doxycicline against my chronic pancreatitis. I can´t avoid it [actually I don´t know what to do against that illness] so I´m using lidocaine, doxycicline, AAS. I use baking soda ant the raw kale leaf tea, always, to put down the oxalate.

OP
gilson d dantas
At least your pulse is 70! =)

I'm in the same boat, but what iv learned is that having a good routine, a good nutritious diet, taking a bunch of supplements that are good at quenching stress response/help with natural production/improving conversion, over time will allow you to start tolerating small doses of NDT, and eventually increase NDT dose.
Yes, OK.
The problem is that I'm on a good diet, strictly based on the teachings of R Peat for more than five years; and it didn't improve the effect of NDT or T3 on my body. So time is not on my side.
There must be some trick, some substance [besides PUFAs] blocking the use of T3 in my body, as Blossom suggested; something I didn't yet think about.

OP
gilson d dantas
I've been reading about choline lately and increasing my intake thanks to redsun. Do you eat eggs? B5 is also important

Eggs are also a good source of selenium which is good for the thyroid
I try to have B5 on Energin. Selenium I get with the sea fishes. And eggs, really I eat few weekly [eggs here at Brasília [Brazil] are full of PUFAs, and the yolk is almost white...

Roni123@

I try to have B5 on Energin. Selenium I get with the sea fishes. And eggs, really I eat few weekly [eggs here at Brasília [Brazil] are full of PUFAs, and the yolk is almost white...
Irmão sou brasileiro quenem você, ouça o que lhe digo, faça um dieta baixa em amido mas rica em gordura e carboidratos, sua saúde vai melhorar ao longo de um mês dois, se tiver que usar amido, use arroz parbolizado

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Irmão sou brasileiro quenem você, ouça o que lhe digo, faça um dieta baixa em amido mas rica em gordura e carboidratos, sua saúde vai melhorar ao longo de um mês dois, se tiver que usar amido, use arroz parbolizado
Translation:
Brother I'm Brazilian whonem you, listen to what I tell you, do a low-starchdiet but high in fat and carbohydrates, your health will improve over a month two, if you have to use starch, use parbolized rice

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The problem is: twice or three times by year I must to do a cycle of two weeks of doxycicline against my chronic pancreatitis.
Yes, I’d definitely continue with doxycycline and just experiment to see if reducing oxalate makes a difference.

OP
gilson d dantas
Prezado conterrâneo, um prazer te ouvir.
Já sigo essa linha de alimentação [R Peat] há anos: JAMAIS consumo amido, arroz já aboli da minha vida, zero amido; minha dieta tem gordura animal suficiente [leite, carnes com gordura, gelatina animal com gordura etc] e consumo grande quantidade de açúcar [mono e dissacarídeo] e nenhum carboidrato fibroso, exceto a cenoura... No entanto, a tireoide não saiu do lugar... continuo hipotireoidismo. Não é simples assim. Devo estar sobrecarregado de PUFAS, da minha alimentação anterior [sobretudo abacate e sementes].

Translation: Dear fellow countryman, nice to hear that from you. I've been following this diet [R Peat] for years: I NEVER consume starch, and rice has already been removed from my life, I am zero starch; my diet has enough animal fat [milk, meat with fat, animal gelatin with fat etc] and I consume a lot of sugar [mono and disaccharide] and no fibrous carbohydrates except carrots... ... and I still with hypothyroidis. It's not that simple. I must be overloaded with PUFAS from my previous diet [especially avocado and seeds; perhapts the PUFAS are blocking the entrance of T3...].