Began To Eat According To Ray Peat = Weird Effects On My Body

max9505672

Hey guys,

I'm pretty lost here and would appreciate some help.

I am 26 y.o. male and from recent blood tests, I know I'm hypothyroid (plus low body T and low RHR), have high estrogen and quite high cortisol. Complete panel here: (Hormonal Blood Test Results - Need Advices)

I began to eat more sugars (while keeping same daily carbs quantity) about 5 days ago and also more milk and dairy and less muscle meat at the same time. I kept my total calorie intake (2400kcal) at the same level and my total macronutrients (40%C/40%F/20%P) also at the same level too.

Since then, I've experienced some episodes of intense night sweating where I wake up all sweaty. I've also experienced one episode of poor sleep quality where I woke up in the middle of the night very hungry. I then ate (orange juice, milk, bananas and cheese) and went back to sleep and then experienced the intense sweating later that night.

Those days were generally pretty stressful too so maybe that has an impact also but that's weird because I've never experienced these symptoms before changing the diet, even on stressful times.

I also felt some kind of cramp near the liver area. That's pretty scary, I've never felt anything like this except after severe alcohol excess and ibuprophene use at the same time.

I'm thinking about going back to my old diet (more starches and protein from muscle meat) since I'm not sure that's very healthy, but I'd appreciate some help/opinion on why would I react like this.

Edit: 2 weeks ago I stopped eating at calorie deficit, stopped PUFA's, added more salt, more fructore and everything felt good. 5 Days ago I started more orange juice (more total sugar) and milk and that's when I noticed the night sweats, hunger and decrease in body temperature/resting heart rate.

Thank you,
Max

Last edited:
OP
M

max9505672

Were you under eating on calories before you began eating like this?
I was before, but not for the last 2-3 weeks.

Before eating like this, I was also seeing improvement in my waking temperature and waking RHR.

EIRE24

Yes, that explains it then. The sweating would be a good thing, its your hormones beginning to function again. It will stop in time but keep eating like you are now. Maybe gradually increase calories would work better and a little walking daily could help and be good for metabolism

OP
M

max9505672

Yes, that explains it then. The sweating would be a good thing, its your hormones beginning to function again. It will stop in time but keep eating like you are now. Maybe gradually increase calories would work better and a little walking daily could help and be good for metabolism
Thanks for your answer.

I don't mean to be rude, but do you have any proof about this or could you please elaborate? Why should I increase calories?

Edit: 2 weeks ago I stopped eating at calorie deficit, stopped PUFA's, added more salt, more fructore and everything felt good. 5 Days ago I started more orange juice (more total sugar) and milk and that's when I noticed the night sweats, hunger and decrease in body temperature/resting heart rate.

EIRE24

Yes, I think you are right to question my advice to dont feel bad about it. I read that stuff on www.youreatopia.com. Its an eating disorder recovery sit and although you dont have an eating disorder under eating on calories has the same affect and this has science to back it up.

Salt will help retain heat too and also hold onto water which could increase sweating I guess? Well drinking more liquid will decrease temps too. I think you can put the sweat down to just increase in calories?

This is all my opinion from what i've read on that site.

Ewelina

I've noticed a clear connection between night sweats and a histamine/endotoxin overload. OJ causes pretty bad histamine reaction in me, as well as old/matured cheeses.

OP
M

max9505672

Yes, I think you are right to question my advice to dont feel bad about it. I read that stuff on www.youreatopia.com. Its an eating disorder recovery sit and although you dont have an eating disorder under eating on calories has the same affect and this has science to back it up.

Salt will help retain heat too and also hold onto water which could increase sweating I guess? Well drinking more liquid will decrease temps too. I think you can put the sweat down to just increase in calories?

This is all my opinion from what i've read on that site.
I understand your logic, but I'm not sure it really applies to me because I didn't have this problem before starting orange juice / milk.

I have to say I bought some concentrated orange juice which might not be the best, but still only drank about 500mL/day, I hardly see how this could make me feel so bad.

OP
M

max9505672

I've noticed a clear connection between night sweats and a histamine/endotoxin overload. OJ causes pretty bad histamine reaction in me, as well as old/matured cheeses.
Might be the cause.. Honestly there's so much information out there it's very hard to know what does what.

OP
M

max9505672

I found this from an interview Ray Peat gave. When asked about the effects on high estrogen (and other hormones) on hot flashes.

''Ray Peat'': Yah. And the mechanism by which estrogen does have some effect in reducing hot flashes, it's a very unphysiological effect. When morphine withdrawal is being used as a model of hot flashes, they find that old animals can have such a low metabolism that they don't experience the hot flash. They can simply be already in a hibernating state and don't have the surges to cause the hot flashes. Estrogen lowers the metabolism and apparently can put a person into a state close to hibernation, that they don’t have the surges. Raising their metabolism enough to produce heat cause the flash.''

That could be an explanation. Assuming that I have very high estrogen (487 pmol/L when reference values are 0-146), maybe my metabolism is starting to raise enough to produce heat which produces the flashes, a little bit like @EIRE24 said.

LINK to complete interview: https://raypeatforum.com/community/...onship-to-stress-kmud-herb-doctors-2012.5432/

Pet Peeve

I've experienced some episodes of intense night sweating where I wake up all sweaty.

I had this too. I would switch to juicing your own oj instead of buying at the store. The ready made oj contains added enzymes as you can see from the even color it has, a lot of people react to it. If this doesn't help I would change the milk for meat with supplemental calcium (or without).

OP
M

max9505672

I had this too. I would switch to juicing your own oj instead of buying at the store. The ready made oj contains added enzymes as you can see from the even color it has, a lot of people react to it. If this doesn't help I would change the milk for meat with supplemental calcium (or without).
I'll find some natural OJ for sure!

WestCoaster

Night time sweats are usually related to Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Hunger pangs is also a sign of Hypoglycemia so if you're waking up hungry, it's probably hypoglycemia. It can be caused if you have insulin problems. It can also be caused if you rocket up your blood sugar too in the case of both drinking Milk and O.J. Milk has a strong insulin response just as O.J does. You might be better off nixing the Milk and O.J or at least keep it to breakfast and lunch only, while dinner should include foods that break down slowly like proteins (chicken), or cheese.

Diabetes is also linked to night sweats, but seeing as this only occurred after adding in the Milk and O.J, my best guess is you created to large of a blood sugar spike which led to hypoglycemic style crash afterwords.

Pet Peeve

I'll find some natural OJ for sure!

I really recommend juicing your own oranges. It's much cheaper and it's not a hassle at all if you buy an electric citrus press. Cut the oranges in half, juice them, wash the juicer, in 5 minutes you'll have half a quart to a quart of juice easy peasy. Drink immediately before the vitamin c evaporates, it feels like taking a drug. Nothing at all like from the store.

L

lollipop

I really recommend juicing your own oranges. It's much cheaper and it's not a hassle at all if you buy an electric citrus press. Cut the oranges in half, juice them, wash the juicer, in 5 minutes you'll have half a quart to a quart of juice easy peasy. Drink immediately before the vitamin c evaporates, it feels like taking a drug. Nothing at all like from the store.
@Pet Peeve which juicer do you use? I have been thinking about starting to juice my own but not sure which juicer to go with. Thank you in advance!

Pet Peeve

@Pet Peeve which juicer do you use? I have been thinking about starting to juice my own but not sure which juicer to go with. Thank you in advance!

I'm very satisfied with my juicer from the brand Bodum. I haven't tried any other though. I think it's best to go with a juicer without that lever to press the orange. Without lever you use your hand and can squeeze around the orange to get more juice.

Ella

Forum Supporter
I have very high estrogen (487 pmol/L when reference values are 0-146)

Orange juice is anti-estrogenic. The sweating will be due to blood sugar drop due to low thyroid and liver function. If you have introduced foods that weren't in your diet previously and your metabolism has come up; you can expect increase in the liver's ability to greatly detox more toxins. This is an energy intensive process that you need to cater for. The more toxins the body is dealing with the more the "fight-flight" response will be activated. Vicious cycle begins as adrenaline is triggered followed by depletion of glycogen and so on. You need to get past the worst of it and you will be in a better state once the liver has cleared out the toxins. Carrot fibre is important in keeping the gut clean; binding hormones and environmental pollutants - many are estrogenic. Keep bowels open - don't get constipated. People expect to feel better once they increase metabolism, however they can feel much worse from the symptoms of clearing out a lot of the junk that has been building up as a result from hypo-metabolism and low energy. Release of PUFAs is deleterious on its own, causing unstable insulin and blood glucose. Think also about other toxins the liver needs to neutralise and excrete.

L

lollipop

I'm very satisfied with my juicer from the brand Bodum. I haven't tried any other though. I think it's best to go with a juicer without that lever to press the orange. Without lever you use your hand and can squeeze around the orange to get more juice.

Very cool @Pet Peeve! Checking it out now :):

OP
M

max9505672

Orange juice is anti-estrogenic. The sweating will be due to blood sugar drop due to low thyroid and liver function. If you have introduced foods that weren't in your diet previously and your metabolism has come up; you can expect increase in the liver's ability to greatly detox more toxins. This is an energy intensive process that you need to cater for. The more toxins the body is dealing with the more the "fight-flight" response will be activated. Vicious cycle begins as adrenaline is triggered followed by depletion of glycogen and so on. You need to get past the worst of it and you will be in a better state once the liver has cleared out the toxins. Carrot fibre is important in keeping the gut clean; binding hormones and environmental pollutants - many are estrogenic. Keep bowels open - don't get constipated. People expect to feel better once they increase metabolism, however they can feel much worse from the symptoms of clearing out a lot of the junk that has been building up as a result from hypo-metabolism and low energy. Release of PUFAs is deleterious on its own, causing unstable insulin and blood glucose. Think also about other toxins the liver needs to neutralise and excrete.

Thanks for your answer!

Can you elaborate on the ''fight-flight'' response? I'm not familiar with this. Also, how to get past the vicious cycle?

So according to you, those symptoms could be from clearing out some of the junk in me with my liver function/metabolism getting better? I should kept eating like this then.

Travis

Are you taking thyroid hormone?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals