How To Deal With Mosquito Bites?

charmer

The last few years I started overreacting to mosquito bites, I have huge inflammation around the bite, it is super itchy and is maybe 3cm in diameter.

Would anyone advice any local supplements to take the itchiness off and diminish inflammation?

PakPik

Vick vaporub is gentle, safe and usually very effective. Besides the antiinflammatory and calming properties, it also has very good antimicrobial actions. And very affordable!

burtlancast

Essential oils applied topically does the job for me.

Ulla

Maybe some your own saliva and a pinch of salt directly on it.
Maybe coconut oil.

David PS

Perhaps, the best way to deal with the inflammation is not to get the bite in the first place.

A study back in the 1940s indicated that taking vitamin B1 (thiamine) may be effective in discouraging mosquitoes from biting. However, studies since then have been inconclusive.

The theory is, taking more vitamin B1 than your body requires causes the excess to be excreted through your urine, skin, and sweat. Vitamin B1 produces a skin odor that female mosquitoes seem to find offensive. There are some reports of B1 working for people at
Natural Mosquito Repellants - The People's Pharmacy

schultz

Oral benadryl and/or topical benadryl may help. You can grind a pill into powder and apply it with a bit of water. It probably won't help with the itching - though may to some extent - as it is now believed histamine is not involved (or only somewhat) in the pruritus associated with mosquito bites.

Some kind of 5-LO inhibitor should help with the itching. Caffeic acid, curcumin and CLA are 5-LO inhibitors. Mead acid, the fat you make when you're very low in EFA, also inhibits the AA 5-LO metabolites, so being close to EFAD might help. There is some evidence that CLA amplifies the effects of a low-pufa diet, so the combination could help as well.

The thiamine idea that David PS mentioned is intriguing. If it works, preventing the bites in the first place seems like the way to go.

OP
charmer

charmer

Perhaps, the best way to deal with the inflammation is not to get the bite in the first place.

A study back in the 1940s indicated that taking vitamin B1 (thiamine) may be effective in discouraging mosquitoes from biting. However, studies since then have been inconclusive.

The theory is, taking more vitamin B1 than your body requires causes the excess to be excreted through your urine, skin, and sweat. Vitamin B1 produces a skin odor that female mosquitoes seem to find offensive. There are some reports of B1 working for people at
Natural Mosquito Repellants - The People's Pharmacy
I would love that, but have been taking 500 mg of B1 a day ately and it did not help at all.

atlee7757

Mosquito and other bites that cause swelling and pain or itching : I use 3-4 grams urea crystals dissolved in 1 oz (30ml) distilled water and spray topically. They usually subside and stop itching within 10-15 minutes.

Xisca

A little trick when you want to scratch: the body has few nervous fibres in most part of the body, so if you scratch AROUND and NOT ON the bite, you will get the little effect you know by scratching, and not the worsening effect!

If urea is effective, then it explains why it has been advised to pee on the bites?

yomama

You cut a fresh garlic bulb and rub it over the bite, it smells but works

denise

I'm one of those people who are a mosquito magnet, and I just wanted to share a strange and wonderful result I had with EFT and mosquitos. About 7 years ago, I was obsessively using EFT for everything, so one day I used it for the itching I had from some mosquito bites. Ever since then, I'm still as tasty to mosquitos as ever, but after I get bit, the itch is bearable, and if I leave it alone, it's nearly gone the next morning.

I've been thinking about loading with B1 now that it's mosquito season again, just in case I'm one of the lucky ones that B1 works for.

GAF

Any ideas for a 2 year girl bit near eye. All swollen up and miserable?

nikotrope

Thiamine really helped me against mosquitos, but adding riboflavin has been really helpful too. I still get some mosquito bites when I exercise too much (lactic acid build up probably).

InChristAlone

I put a paste of baking soda on mine, takes the itch out.

GAF

Ideas?

Attachments

• 149650072633091104504.jpg
    149650072633091104504.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 44

schultz

Holy!

Did you try making a paste with benadryl or cyproheptadine and applying it? It leaves a white residue though. Haidut has a liquid cyproheptadine which might be useful for applying to things on the skin.

That is an intense reaction.

smith

I'm one of those people who are a mosquito magnet, and I just wanted to share a strange and wonderful result I had with EFT and mosquitos. About 7 years ago, I was obsessively using EFT for everything, so one day I used it for the itching I had from some mosquito bites. Ever since then, I'm still as tasty to mosquitos as ever, but after I get bit, the itch is bearable, and if I leave it alone, it's nearly gone the next morning.

I've been thinking about loading with B1 now that it's mosquito season again, just in case I'm one of the lucky ones that B1 works for.
Emotional freedom technique?

denise

Emotional freedom technique?
Yes, that's what I meant.

I also recently discovered how great ammonia is if you apply it right after getting bit. I think it's the main ingredient in the product After Bite.

smith

Yes, that's what I meant.

I also recently discovered how great ammonia is if you apply it right after getting bit. I think it's the main ingredient in the product After Bite.
Thanks. I'll take that into consideration in case all the other suggestions for prevention like charging up on B1 fail.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals