Scalp Itchiness After Started Peating

Bushido1

Hello everybody,

Around February 2019, I realized that my hairline was receding a little bit too much so I decided to start looking for answers on how to stop hair loss.

I quickly bumped into Danny Roddy's youtube channel and started following his diet advice.

Until this time I have been eating a low carb diet, Paleo style diet and I didn't experience any scalp itchiness. But as soon as I started following the "Peat" diet around 8 weeks ago, I started experiencing huge amounts of scalp itching.

Any ideas of what could be causing that?

I attach the diet that I have been following for the last 8 weeks to the thread.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 1.40.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 1.40.15 PM.png
    87 KB · Views: 117

rei

High blood sugar allows for the fungal infection to thrive as the carbs seep out from your body. Get a blood glucose monitor and limit carbs to such level that you don't have hyperglycemia when measured at the end of finishing the plate.

Overloading carbs is probably the leading cause to failing on "peat diet" you need to increase the amount in lockstep with how your body becomes more able to utilize carbs.

In near future civilian continuous blood glucose monitors will become ubiquitous and we will finally learn what to eat by avoiding foods that causes blood sugar spikes, to us.

somuch4food

It would be interesting to have a Cronometer before your "Peaty" dietary changes. Do you see any major shift in some micronutrients?

Did you consume dairy/milk before?

High blood sugar allows for the fungal infection to thrive as the carbs seep out from your body. Get a blood glucose monitor and limit carbs to such level that you don't have hyperglycemia when measured at the end of finishing the plate.

Overloading carbs is probably the leading cause to failing on "peat diet" you need to increase the amount in lockstep with how your body becomes more able to utilize carbs.

In near future civilian continuous blood glucose monitors will become ubiquitous and we will finally learn what to eat by avoiding foods that causes blood sugar spikes, to us.

He's not getting a whole lot of carbs, but it could be an increase in fructose. Proteins also affect blood sugar.

rei

Yeah, sometimes starch is insanely beneficial simply because it brings the fructose load down.

OP
B

Bushido1

@rei @somuch4food

My diet from before was low carb, high fat/protein, paleo kind of diet (lots of meat, nuts, butter, greens, etc.). The classic Mark Sisson kind of diet with potatoes once in a while.
I went from 35 fat/ 35 protein /30 carb (no fruit or sugars at all) to 20 fat/ 20 protein / 60 carbs (mostly sugars).

Yes, I was thinking it could be caused because of either a reaction to dairy or the huge amount increased in the carbohydrates consumed that could be causing that in some way.

I used to drink milk as a kid and don't remember having any negative reaction. I also quit milk for 7 days and the itching didn't go away.

It is interesting that you mentioned "High blood sugar allows for the fungal infection to thrive as the carbs seep out from your body." because back in November 2o17 I was diagnosed with a fungal infection after going to a dermatologist with brown dots in my scalp and neck area (which is exactly where most of my itching happens now).

So after you saying that my guess is that the high amount of carbs that I am eating now compared to before is making those fungus thrive and that is why I feel the itching?

rmgwm

Hello everybody,

Around February 2019, I realized that my hairline was receding a little bit too much so I decided to start looking for answers on how to stop hair loss.

I quickly bumped into Danny Roddy's youtube channel and started following his diet advice.

Until this time I have been eating a low carb diet, Paleo style diet and I didn't experience any scalp itchiness. But as soon as I started following the "Peat" diet around 8 weeks ago, I started experiencing huge amounts of scalp itching.

Any ideas of what could be causing that?

I attach the diet that I have been following for the last 8 weeks to the thread.

Any itchy scalp can be a sign of new hair growth.

OP
B

Bushido1

Do you know of any data or studies supporting that?

I did consider it as an option but never read anything supporting that theory.

Birdie

Do you know of any data or studies supporting that?

I did consider it as an option but never read anything supporting that theory.
Or even personal experience? I've always had very good hair growth (until this last year) and not with any accompanying itch.

Kelj

This is my observation as well. When you begin to eat enough carbs, many suppressed body functions begin to return to normal. When you were engaging in the starvation of carb restriction, your body Couldn't afford expensive functions like normal turnover of hair (100 hairs per day, or so), hair can be at both ends of a Gaussian distribution, too much hair fall or not enough hair fall. Both are signs of a struggling metabolism. Itching is a sign of things returning to normal. Pain is a sign of things returning to normal. Aching is a sign of things returning to normal. If it itches, scratch it. If your blood sugar rises, it will return to normal. The body knows what normal is. Nothing causes high blood sugars like a low carb diet. As Ray says, yeast becomes invasive when we restrict sugars, because it has to seek out the sugar instead of obtaining it in situ. Don't obsess and monitor, just eat what you want, as much as you want, when you want. And scratch.

Motif

I would say the chances that the itching is from new hairs are almost non existent.

Kelj

Example: If you have a fungal infection anywhere on your body, it itches. Why? Your body is attempting to heal the affected tissue. Itchiness is common no matter what is being healed. A broken arm under its cast or a hair follicle.

Motif

Itching is super common for hair loss, dandruff, eczema, intolerances and any kind of scalp issues.

Probability is bigger that it's not a positive itching.

Kelj

What we call symptoms is our body's immune response, attempting to heal the isuue. The unpleasantness we experience in illness recovery is the immune reaction. Histamine and edema are two immune responses.

OP
B

Bushido1

Itching is super common for hair loss, dandruff, eczema, intolerances and any kind of scalp issues.

Probability is bigger that it's not a positive itching.

I agree that itchiness is sometimes associated with hair loss, but in my case that doesn't make much sense because I was not itching while eating a low carb (no sugar) diet and then started itching a lot while eating a Peaty diet (the one showed above in cronometer).

And I was already losing hair before my scalp started itching so I believe in my case the itchiness probably comes from something different: fungus, too much sugar for my system to handle, food allergy, poor digestion, etc.

Kelj

I agree that itchiness is sometimes associated with hair loss, but in my case that doesn't make much sense because I was not itching while eating a low carb (no sugar) diet and then started itching a lot while eating a Peaty diet (the one showed above in cronometer).

And I was already losing hair before my scalp started itching so I believe in my case the itchiness probably comes from something different: fungus, too much sugar for my system to handle, food allergy, poor digestion, etc.
Whether it is fungus or allergy, the symptom of itchiness or any other symptom is a result of your immune system reacting to a threat to the health of the body. It is well known in eating disorder recovery circles, this response of the body when it is finally being given enough calories and the nutrients that come with those calories. When restricting, people report feeling no pain or unpleasant symptoms. The body is not able to repair much. There is no energy for it. Then, when they begin to eat more, they suddenly feel shocking amounts of pain and other symptoms of repair. They wonder, what is going on? I'm eating now. Shouldn't I be feeling better? What is causing the symptoms of pain, itching, aching or anything else, is the body being nourished by enough calories for energy and glucose (absolutely necessary for every cell) and the nutrients for building blocks. It is healing that causes pain. Until this fact is absorbed, people are going to continue to focus on the pain as the problem to be eliminated no matter how and take NSAID's or worse to stop the pain which stops the healing, too. This is how pain becomes chronic. The only thing that sugar is doing, is balancing the system. The body knows how much sugar it needs and from what source. If eating in a completely intuitive manner causes unpleasant symptoms, trust your body is working to correct it's issues which have been caused by restriction and the symptoms will end on their own when the repair is complete. If you never restrict again, your body will tweak everything that needs to be tweaked during the night, every night, without your being aware of it. That is a true state of health achieved.

OP
B

Bushido1

@Kelj

I think what you are doing could make sense.

I am just curious, do you know of any evidence or studies supporting your theory of "itching being a part of healing"?

I am genuinely interested in getting to the root of my itching and I want to understand and consider as many things as possible.

Also, I am considering to shower using a 10% sulfur soap to see if that kills the fungi/bacteria and gets rid of the itchiness. Any thoughts on that?

Update: The itching has toned down since I wrote this post (even if I haven't changed anything) and now I feel it in other areas of my body as well, such as on my back and genitals. I am still eating a full Peaty diet.

Kelj

https://edinstitute.org/symptom-question

There is a list of common symptoms during eating disorder recovery in this article. It is known to those who help others recover. If we have been restricting calories, over exercising, or following a low carb diet, we have been engaging in disordered eating that has caused some damage to our bodies. A common degenerative condition in those who have been undereating and/or over exercising and are male is testicular atrophy. I would not be at all surprised to hear that a man's testicals are itching when he begins to eat more and more carbs. While the sports medicine world argues whether testicles of athletes can regenerate after atrophy, I can tell you that they can and will when you eat enough. It can come with pain, though, and itching, but the renewal will be visible, which is handy to illustrate the recovery I am talking about. Other recovering organs are not visible to us necessarily, and we may wonder if they are recovering. But, they will, too, when we eat freely what our body is craving.