Is it possible to be allergic to activated charcoal?

messtafarian

I've been itchy with rashy tender skin for a couple of days now. My gut is irritated to the point that I took pepto bismol, AND a ppi ( trying to stay off of those) AND an antacid, but on top of that I've had a kind of swollen face, red rash on my cheeks and red itchy eyes. I was brain foggy today and had a massive sugar craving in the middle of the day.

A couple days ago I was prescribed something called Meloxicam, which is a COX 2 inhibitor and I took it for a couple days. It didn't seem to agree with me so I stopped taking it after maybe three days -- last day was Friday I think.

Then for the past couple days I decided to start taking activated charcoal at night, two tabs before bed so it would not interfere with supplements -- COQ10, D/K, progesterone, Claritin, and a multiple. These are all things I've taken before with no problem. But last night I was so rashy and swollen and itchy I took a benedryl ( a couple hours after the charcoal.) I was getting worried because I felt a weird tingle around my mouth and my eyes were really swelling up and getting red.

Anybody heard of an activated charcoal allergy?

haidut

Forum Supporter
messtafarian said:
I've been itchy with rashy tender skin for a couple of days now. My gut is irritated to the point that I took pepto bismol, AND a ppi ( trying to stay off of those) AND an antacid, but on top of that I've had a kind of swollen face, red rash on my cheeks and red itchy eyes. I was brain foggy today and had a massive sugar craving in the middle of the day.

A couple days ago I was prescribed something called Meloxicam, which is a COX 2 inhibitor and I took it for a couple days. It didn't seem to agree with me so I stopped taking it after maybe three days -- last day was Friday I think.

Then for the past couple days I decided to start taking activated charcoal at night, two tabs before bed so it would not interfere with supplements -- COQ10, D/K, progesterone, Claritin, and a multiple. These are all things I've taken before with no problem. But last night I was so rashy and swollen and itchy I took a benedryl ( a couple hours after the charcoal.) I was getting worried because I felt a weird tingle around my mouth and my eyes were really swelling up and getting red.

Anybody heard of an activated charcoal allergy?

Peat has said before that once your gut gets irritated to a certain point, anything (including charcoal) would cause a bad reaction. In situations like this, it's best to give it a rest for a couple of days and then add supplements slowly one by one. I know that charcoal is contraindicated for people with stomach issues like ulcers and gastritis. Are you sure you don't have one of these? Even though, these would not cause allergic reactions like the ones you describe...

johns74

VoS mentioned that if a particle is too fine one might absorb it. Do you use a brand that claims to be 'super-fine' or something like that? Do you have an intact intestine?

OP
M

messtafarian

I guess I'll stop it. It's just odd. I am beginning to think there is something in my apartment, some kind of black mold or something. I don't get reactions like this normally.

OP
M

messtafarian

Johns74, this is just basic "Nature's Way" OTC AC, nothing super or souped up about it. I believe my intestine is intact...or, it was last time I checked. This reaction is pretty mysterious. I've had something somewhat similar the past couple of months; slightly different each time but a patchy rash on the face and I even had hives on my trunk a month ago, and GERD that is not responding very quickly to normal measures. This is my second night in a row like this.

Ben

messtafarian said:
I guess I'll stop it. It's just odd. I am beginning to think there is something in my apartment, some kind of black mold or something. I don't get reactions like this normally.
I once made a mini airtight tent with a tarp in my room for the purpose of creating a high CO2, lower O2 environment. I stayed in it until my breathing was so heavy I could not stand it anymore. It worked fantastic, I must say. It was very relaxing and I had much more energy even the next day after using it. Mornings were easier too.

Then the inevitable happened. I developed a chronic dry cough which stayed with me even the next day and I attributed it to mold growth in the tent, since it started to smell moldy. Big surprise, considering lack of ventilation in it. I did not set up a fan near the tent to get rid of the humidity, even if I did there was still hidden areas which would trap humidity due to the airtight environment but not easily ventilate.

I found out there was actually fuzzy white and green mold on two wooden stools which I used to keep both ends of the tent up. And the mattress was infected underneath.

The cough from the mold for some reason stayed with me until the next day, like a smoker's cough, but did not seem to worsen while actually being in the tent. It's an example of how regular exposure to fungus or other pathogens can cause bronchitis or other forms of inflammation, and may not be apparent.

If you suspect it is mold in your apartment, then sleep somewhere else for a week or two. A lot of mold is hidden, in fact IIRC tends to grow in small areas that trap humidity. Such as, the bottom of my mattress. Although the top was exposed to more humidity, it was more easily ventilated than the bottom.

healthnatura

I have an active poll asking which kind of activated charcoal you would prefer. Please chime in if you have the need.
When it comes to allergies anything is possible under the right circumstances.
vote here till October 14th 2015

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals