Heart Rate Of 48 Bpm? Low Or Normal

about 1 week i supplement with organic iodine, i have more energy , im more focused... my pulse raised too.

HLP

The Myth of Iodine Deficiency: An Interview with Dr. Ray Peat

Is iodine supplementation safe and, if not, is there a safe amount of supplemental iodine?

Dr. Peat: “A dosage of 150 mcg (micrograms, not milligrams, e.g., ug not mg) is a safe amount of iodine. There are excellent references describing the effect of a moderate iodine excess (even below a milligram per day) on the thyroid. An iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism (rare now), but so can an excess. Iodine deficiency is an unusual cause of hypothyroidism, except in a few places, like the mountains of Mexico and China, and the Andes.

“Most goiters now are from estrogen-like effects, but they used to be from iodine deficiency. Chronic excess iodine tends to cause thyroiditis, regardless of the gland’s size. The amounts used by Abraham and Flechas are much larger than this — very toxic doses, enough to cause severe thyroid problems.”

Is the Iodine Test Kit (from Dr. Abraham) valid and does it reveal thyroid deficiency?

“Guy Abraham and some of his followers claim that an iodine deficiency can be shown by the quick disappearance of a spot of iodine painted on the skin. The skin test of iodine deficiency is completely unscientific. Iodine is converted to colorless iodide by reductants, including vitamin C, glutathione, and thiosulphate. “G. Abraham’s Iodine Test Kit contains iodine overdose pills. The test is completely irrational. It implies that the body should be saturated with iodine.”

Is there a rational way to determine iodine deficiency or excess?

“It’s easy to recognize a chronic iodine deficiency, because it causes the thyroid gland to enlarge. Goiters can be caused in various ways, for example by being exposed to various goitrogens, including excess iodine, or by excessive estrogen and deficient progesterone, as well as by an iodine deficiency. “However, a chronic excess of iodine is harder to recognize, because it can produce a variety of degenerative changes. Measurement of the average daily iodine intake or excretion in the urine would be needed to confirm an excess. High iodine intake can suppress TSH, and since high TSH is pro-inflammatory, the iodine can have some protective anti-inflammatory actions, but in the long run, the thyroid suppression becomes a problem.”

Note: I have a list of references on iodine toxicity that are too lengthy for this newsletter. If you are interested in these references, please email me at [email protected], and I will send them to you.

Reference

To Your Health – July 2008 by Lita Lee

whodathunkit

I don't really agree with Peat about iodine. High dose did me a lot of good for a while...in fact, using iodine was the first inkling I had that I could probably cure myself of my chronic fatigue symptoms and rejuvenate my body rather than simply endure a long, torturous senescence.

IMO Peat's beliefs about iodine assume that the minimal requirements for iodine being present in most foodstuffs is sufficient for people to get enough. But I believe most of us are probably suffering from a chronic sub-clinical deficiency of iodine because of minimal amounts of iodine along with the prevalence of other halogens like bromine/bromide and chlorine in our environment. When there's a minimal amount of iodine present in the diet then more ubiquitous and harmful halogens can occupy the places ("receptors") where beneficial iodine is supposed to go to help us stay healthy (like in the thyroid gland and the uterus). Granted, I haven't researched Peat too much on this, but I have seen the quotes by @HLP above, and IMO with regards to iodine he seems to be buying into the fallacy of minimum requirements that he faults other scientists for subscribing to in regards to other nutrients.

"Overdosing" on iodine for a while seems to have the effect of flushing the other halogens out of the system and allowing sufficient iodine to get where it's supposed to be, thereby helping to restore better physiological function. At least, that's what happened to me. I've read many similar anecdotes. When I started iodine I got kind of sick for a while. Symptoms correlated to bromine and chlorine toxicity. After I chelated for a while and re-started iodine I could tolerate it just fine, and over time I felt a lot better than I did before I started it. I believe it helped my thyroid, if for no other reason than it flushed the other halogens from my tissues. After using high-dose iodine for a while about nine years ago my TSH went to <1.0 after years of being in the 2.0's and 3.0's, and never went back up even though I stopped supplementing iodine. It's been a couple years since I checked it, but judging by the way I feel it hasn't gone back up.

That said, like with most things, more is not necessarily better over the long haul. There's probably no point to daily supplementation of over 12mgs or so for more than six months at a time. And it needs to be balanced with other minerals like magnesium and salt.

Lately I get it by adding a drop or two to every gallon of water I drink, but over the years there have been long periods of time where I haven't used iodine at all. Yet the benefits from supplementation seem to endure. So possibly after resolving a "tissue deficiency" (that is, replacing other harmful halogens with beneficial iodine), not much more action using iodine is necessary.

HLP

I also did use it with caution but didn't find it helped me in the long run.

whodathunkit

I also did use it with caution but didn't find it helped me in the long run.
Yeah, if halogen toxicity isn't a problem then maybe iodine doesn't do someone good. Myself, I was coming off an uber-crappy lifestyle of eating lots of processed foods, especially baked goods. Baked goods have bromide in them to help with consistency and "mouth feel", stuff like that. Plus I was a lifeguard as a teen and always did a lot of swimming, so there was always lots of chlorine in my pre-CFS life. So halogen toxicity was definitely a possible for me. Maybe not so much for you.

I didn't make it clear in my post above, but the main point is that sometimes iodine does do some good, and that it's probably an individual thing whether it does or doesn't

Also, the fact that it doesn't do immediate good doesn't mean it's not needed. I had to chelate for a while in order to get the benefit from it. It did make me sick at first. But that didn't continue.

Seems like Peat is vulnerable to being needlessly overcautious about some beneficial things, just like the mainstream.

HLP

I was an elite swimmer in my days and lived in the pool. Bromide was used in some of those pools. Swam daily, and year round. Played on a guys waterpolo team, swam competitively and did water ballet (synchronized)....so I lived in the water. So there's quite the connection for us with CFS for sure.

tara

can you guys aware me of the causes of a lower heart rate?
Low metabolism. Many possible contributors, including:
Insufficient supply of all the body's needs, including nutrition (macro and micro), light, CO2 + O2, sleep, appropriate movement, human connections, fun, meaningful life ...
Or overburden with anti-metabolic factors: poisons (external or endotoxins or products of metabolism/repair that cannot be removed fast enough), too much darkness or blue light to sunlight or red light, overwork or overexercise.
Functional issues in the endocrine system.
Organic changes to the thyroid gland.

thought i was doing everything well
There is unlikely to be a single precise diet that will be right for everyone.
The only way to know that you are doing everything your body needs is that it is working to improve your health.

caffeine intake too high/low? today at 400 mgs
Caffeine tolerance/usefulness is very variable from person to person. You could try a bit less and see what happens. It stimulates metabolism, so you have to have adequate fuel and other nutrition there for it to work with, or it will likely cause more stress.

Peat has said that heart rate usually lags behind body temps. To assess day-to-day effects of what you are doing, consider monitoring body temps as well. Noticing that you have cold hands and feet is relevant. But you may be able to see more usable patterns if you measure and write down your body temp once of twice at the same time each day. If you can't be bothered doing that all the time (I can't) you could do it for a week now and then again for another week in a month or so and see if it's changed. And certainly do it every day during any period of increasing or decreasing thyroid supps.)

I don't know what exactly is holding you back, but if you've tried throwing generous nutrition at it consistently for a month or more (and if you are focused on not gaining weight, you may not have tried this yet), and you're getting plenty of light and sleep and breathing through your nose reliably, it's possible that you might need a rest from the workouts. That's just a speculative possibility, I'm no expert, and I don't know what your specific needs are. But some people do need to stop for a while.

eating fruits, white rice, cod, OJ, white sugar, lactose free milk, goat cheese, carrot a day,
Consider adding a daily egg or two, and weekly liver and weekly oysters for more useful minerals and vitamins and protein?

I'm going to suggest not supplementing thyroid till you've tried at least a month with more generous nutrition and significantly less exercise, unless you get lab tests that strongly indicate the need. It could be that just taking the pressure off would make a huge difference.

OP
thms

thms

The Myth of Iodine Deficiency: An Interview with Dr. Ray Peat

Thank you, it makes sense to me but added to the already big confusion about iodine, to supplement or to not supplement with it i dont really know.

dont "feel" the benefits of taking it, dont get warmer or colder from it i suppose and i read so much conflicting opinions it is just really frustrating

I don't really agree with Peat about iodine. High dose did me a lot of good for a while...i

Did your metabolism / pulse/temp raise after taking iodine? how much mg are you taking a day now?

Low metabolism. Many possible contributors, including:
Insufficient supply of all the body's needs, including nutrition (macro and micro), light, CO2 + O2, sleep, appropriate movement, human connections, fun, meaningful life ...
Or overburden with anti-metabolic factors: poisons (external or endotoxins or products of metabolism/repair that cannot be removed fast enough), too much darkness or blue light to sunlight or red light, overwork or overexercise.
Functional issues in the endocrine system.
Organic changes to the thyroid gland.

Thank you tara for the information as always, i dont drink coffee but take caffeine in powder form, around 400 mgs a day, maybye too much i will cut down and see what happens, will ad the 2 eggs .

i got my blood checked this friday and waiting for the results, but i think on how i feel that i have some kind of hypothyroidism or something,

i will try take a week off of all excersize and see how i feel, havent done that in 7+ years.....

sladerunner69

Thank you, it makes sense to me but added to the already big confusion about iodine, to supplement or to not supplement with it i dont really know.

dont "feel" the benefits of taking it, dont get warmer or colder from it i suppose and i read so much conflicting opinions it is just really frustrating

Did your metabolism / pulse/temp raise after taking iodine? how much mg are you taking a day now?

Thank you tara for the information as always, i dont drink coffee but take caffeine in powder form, around 400 mgs a day, maybye too much i will cut down and see what happens, will ad the 2 eggs .

i got my blood checked this friday and waiting for the results, but i think on how i feel that i have some kind of hypothyroidism or something,

i will try take a week off of all excersize and see how i feel, havent done that in 7+ years.....

Taking a break is smart, it will reset your anabolic recpetors and let your cns recover.

i think your cortisol is high too. you need to cut out caffeine at all. when i had high cortisol , caffeine make me worst, coldness , low pulse and i was depressed as f...ck.
Theese supplements helped me a lot:
phospahtidylserine, organic iodine, zinc, and some adaptogens , like : ashwagandha, holy basil, panax ginseng, and rhodiola. And one of my favourit supplement was Super cortisol support from NOW foods.
this is my story.

and dont forget to eat, dont diet...try to eat in every 3hrs, (not much) potatoes, tuna, salmon, 3 whole eggs, try pork meat dont worry about high fat and cholesterol in it.

OP
thms

thms

i think your cortisol is high too. you need to cut out caffeine at all. when i had high cortisol , caffeine make me worst, coldness , low pulse and i was depressed as f...ck.
Theese supplements helped me a lot:
phospahtidylserine, organic iodine, zinc, and some adaptogens , like : ashwagandha, holy basil, panax ginseng, and rhodiola. And one of my favourit supplement was Super cortisol support from NOW foods.
this is my story.

thank you, could be the reason indeed, i will stop all cafeine this friday and see if it makes a diffrence,

dont have the money for that much supplements right now,

how much iodine do you take yourself?

are you natural? how long did you take to build your body and how much days a week do you train? for what i can see you have a nice physique,

thank you, could be the reason indeed, i will stop all cafeine this friday and see if it makes a diffrence,

dont have the money for that much supplements right now,

how much iodine do you take yourself?

are you natural? how long did you take to build your body and how much days a week do you train? for what i can see you have a nice physique,
Thankyou so much. 13 years. and YES natural 100%. Only supplements, protein powder, amino acids, pre and post supplements, vitamins and minerals. and sure... tons of meats and clear foods.

i use this kind of organic iodine (seaweed)

http://undergroundhealthreporter.co...n-prolong-life-and-enhance-health-and-beauty/

108mg/capsule. not 108mg iodine, its 108mg seaweed, i dont know how much iodine is in a capsule...

"Brown seaweed (Laminaria japonica, or kombu) is rich in organic iodine, fucoidan, alginates, fucoxanthin, laminarin and other mineral values. It also contains all of the 72 different trace minerals"

My pulse was raised (normalised) from this supplement for sure.

OP
thms

thms

Thankyou so much. 13 years. and YES natural 100%. Only supplements, protein powder, amino acids, pre and post supplements, vitamins and minerals. and sure... tons of meats and clear foods.

i use this kind of organic iodine (seaweed)

http://undergroundhealthreporter.co...n-prolong-life-and-enhance-health-and-beauty/

108mg/capsule. not 108mg iodine, its 108mg seaweed, i dont know how much iodine is in a capsule...

"Brown seaweed (Laminaria japonica, or kombu) is rich in organic iodine, fucoidan, alginates, fucoxanthin, laminarin and other mineral values. It also contains all of the 72 different trace minerals"

My pulse was raised (normalised) from this supplement for sure.

thanks i will look into it,

whats your diet like? how many days do you train?

i switched recently from ppl 5-6 days a week to full body 3 days a week and libido wise it is been a good decision.

what do you do to keep low bodyfat? t3?

i train 3x4x / week. classic training.
1st day chest + biceps
2nd day back + triceps
3rd day shoulder trapeeze
4th day leg day.
i train to be healthy and to feel good ,not for competitions. i dont want to try illegal stuffs. i dont care.

i wish that seaweed will help you to normalize your pulse.

OP
thms

thms

i train 3x4x / week. classic training.
1st day chest + biceps
2nd day back + triceps
3rd day shoulder trapeeze
4th day leg day.
i train to be healthy and to feel good ,not for competitions. i dont want to try illegal stuffs. i dont care.

i wish that seaweed will help you to normalize your pulse.

have you tried hitting everything more than once a week? i started growing really well when doing everything more than once a week.

what do you do to keep your hair like that? it looks full/healthy

im focused more on healthy foods and time to regenerate my body ,thats why i train 3x 4x/ week.

my hair is okay not that full and healthy, but its okay.
i use zinc supplement 100 , 150 mg zinc gluconate (thats around 15,maybe 20mg elemental zinc on it.) elemental zinc counts.
my libido, my erection, my hair, is stronger than ever.
i see new hair after started to take theese supplements.
stress, coffein, diet... unhealthy for hair, this is the reason why i take 20mg of elemental zinc (from150mg gluconate) sorry for bad english.
here is my stack for hair
20170419_160425.jpg

but only zinc, biotin, and b vit i use every day, the rest i use 2x3x a week
my hair is grow more faster then before.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals