How can I raise my heart rate?

Electrisio

I have had issues with a bounding pulse and it has been suggested by my cardiologist to get my heart rate up to reduce the force/size of each beat. My heart rate is pretty low, when I was fit it was as low as 42 bpm. I have stopped exercising to try and raise my heart rate, so it has come up to around 50bpm. However, it seems to have plateaued at this level. I am looking for ways to try and increase it further as in theory, this should help reduce my symptoms. Has anyone faced a similar issue and been successful in increasing their heart rate?

I have had issues with a bounding pulse and it has been suggested by my cardiologist to get my heart rate up to reduce the force/size of each beat. My heart rate is pretty low, when I was fit it was as low as 42 bpm. I have stopped exercising to try and raise my heart rate, so it has come up to around 50bpm. However, it seems to have plateaued at this level. I am looking for ways to try and increase it further as in theory, this should help reduce my symptoms. Has anyone faced a similar issue and been successful in increasing their heart rate?
Are you heavy, thin or average weight?

YamnayaMommy

Kate Deering (a Ray Peat acolyte who coaches a lot of people) says that getting pulse up is often the hardest and last improvement to achieve.

My waking pulse went from in the 50s to the 60s BPM within a week of supplementing thyroid (NDT, tyromax, six drops spread out throughout the day).

Some of my heart rate/ breathing issues (excessive yawning) seem also to have improved by eating less protein (I had been doing 130g/day) and more sugar.

Here I found stuff for you in this Ray Peat article….

“The combination of pulse rate and temperature is much better than either one alone. I happened to see two people whose resting pulse rates were chronically extremely high, despite their hypothyroid symptoms. When they took a thyroid supplement, their pulse rates came down to normal. (Healthy and intelligent groups of people have been found to have an average resting pulse rate of 85/minute, while less healthy groups average close to 70/minute.)”

redsun

Copper and iodine may help besides avoiding exercise.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
My heart rate can be pretty low, 36 bpm during sleep and 40-60 during rest.
With thyroid, NDT and T3, they increase a bit and I feel better.

Havde

Breaking news: Ray Peat just did a 180 said that sugar and saturated fats are the worst thing you can possibly eat.

Aaah! See what I just did there? Raising your heart rate with just a sentence ;)

P

Peatness

Breaking news: Ray Peat just did a 180 said that sugar and saturated fats are the worst thing you can possibly eat.

Aaah! See what I just did there? Raising your heart rate with just a sentence ;)
Heart almost stopped :hilarious:

Harley

My heart rate was around 60 before taking thyroid. Now it is 85 consistently even though I haven't taken thyroid in over 6 months.

OP
E

Electrisio

My heart rate was around 60 before taking thyroid. Now it is 85 consistently even though I haven't taken thyroid in over 6 months.
What were your thyroid levels before and how long did you take it for?

Harley

What were your thyroid levels before and how long did you take it for?

At the time, I (stupidly) wasn't taking my temperatures and had no blood tests. I based my doses of heart rate and the warmth (or coldness) of my hands and feet. I think I was taking thyroid for about 3 months. I can't remember exactly. For me thyroid permanently fixed low heart rate, low blood pressure and my extreme need for sodium.

For you though, do you take your temperature and do you know your cholesterol, tsh, t4, t3 and rt3 numbers? That is what I should have known before blinding taking thyroid 🤣.

youngsinatra

Check copper and iron status.

Ceruloplasmin, serum copper, ferritin, iron saturation index. Either one deficiency can cause the symptoms.

Iodine is another crucial one, like redsun suggested.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals