Heart Rate Of 48 Bpm? Low Or Normal

OP
thms

thms

There are many variables that need to be considered. You have been a member since 2015 and know that pulse rate and temperature are the foundational and basic tools that we have at hand, to give a clue that perhaps dietary changes, lifestyle factors and further investigation need addressing. It does not cost an arm and leg either. Like all of us, this gentleman requires guidance and of where to start. The ideal pulse rate will depend on the individual circumstance. If we are trying to heal then a pulse rate of 90 will be more optimal or higher, depending on the condition. Adequate calories and hydration are also the most basic things to check. Many people are not even aware that they are in a dehydrated state. Your need for sodium and potassium goes up exponentially when stressed, exercising, hot weather and sweating.

Stryker said that his ability to handle sugar improved with increased potassium. With all that sugar, he may need more potassium than what cronometer says. Cronometer does not account for inflammation, toxins, heavy metals, infections, ROS, etc, etc. If you have a muscle bound body, those muscles require more food to be maintained - more glycogen etc. So if 3000 calories maintains my body and I am sedentary and have less muscles than a young man; 3000 calories is not going to be adequate for me if I started going to the gym lifting heavy weights. Well it maybe, because my fat% is higher, where this gentleman's fat% is much, much lower than mine, thus will require more fuel from outside sources unless he is going to make use of the breakdown of muscle metabolites. I for one could keep going without food by tucking into my adipose tissue for fuel. We all know that doing so will only suppress my thyroid, liver and pancreatic function along with brain fog and god knows what else.

You stated that pulse rate goes down as you age. My 90 yo mother-in-law's pulse rate is maintained between 85 - 90 because she lives in my household and her meals are schedule by the clock. She eats me out of house and home. Her calories are high. She is a hoover when it comes to food unlike many of the elderly. Nothing seems to kill her - I have tried :). She has more lives than a cat. She was not like this though when she lived on her own. Her heart rate was around 40. Why - salt restricted diet and too lazy to cook for herself. The neighbours would find her on the floor unconscious all the time. She would ring me to tell that she found herself on the floor. When I took her in with a lot of work on rehabilitation; she is now as healthy as a horse. All that food she eats and believe me, it is more than my boys; she is not fat.

I know for myself, if my pulse falls to 75 then I don't feel as energetic as I would like to be. If it goes to 60 then I would feel ***t and drag my feet. Not that I allow my pulse rate to get this low these days - I know better thanks to Ray. Monitoring my pulse has been an absolute boon for me. It enables me to work out exactly how much food my body requires in order to have the energy to carry out work inside my body and in the external world. It is a lot more calories than we are led to believe for an old gal.

If the body is in a hypometabolic state, it means you need to stop pushing on the accelerator pedal and start harvesting and conserving energy. The body does not have resources on board to cope with the demands required to perform.

Yes, for the layperson reading Peat is a huge challenge (this is no fault of Peat). We are not all physiology or endocrinology professors. Many have no science background. lt is even more challenging if you don't have energy and stamina. In a hypometabolic state, reading basic text is a huge effort. We need to be more tolerant, forgiving and empathetic to those seeking help.

thank you for posting.

your right that it is a huge challenge to focus on reading big articles and making sense of them, listening is easier for me but finding the focus to absorb al the information can be hard at times.

since monday i stopped training and measured heartrate just a minute ago and it was 64 bpm?? strange. If i understand you i would feel better at around 85 bpm.. i will go on and see if i can reach this whitout thyroid supplementation.

measured my temp today also when waking and it was 37,1 celcius.... this would indicate high stress hormones from what ive read?

thank you all for not flaming me and helping me out with all the questions, it means a lot to me

sladerunner69

thank you for posting.

your right that it is a huge challenge to focus on reading big articles and making sense of them, listening is easier for me but finding the focus to absorb al the information can be hard at times.

since monday i stopped training and measured heartrate just a minute ago and it was 64 bpm?? strange. If i understand you i would feel better at around 85 bpm.. i will go on and see if i can reach this whitout thyroid supplementation.

measured my temp today also when waking and it was 37,1 celcius.... this would indicate high stress hormones from what ive read?

thank you all for not flaming me and helping me out with all the questions, it means a lot to me

Yeah I was quite bummed myself when I realized that nitric oxide was a bad thing. I used to love and live for massive pumps in the gym, and the rush of stress hormones. However my quality of life, my mood, my mindset, my productivity, everything really has improved for me since encorporating Peat's principles. Lowering serotonin and nitric oxide seem to go hand in hand and really help me maintain a calm, thoughtful, slightly euphoric feeling that carries on through the day as long as I am not in ketosis.

Ella

Forum Supporter
since monday i stopped training and measured heartrate just a minute ago and it was 64 bpm??

WOOHOO!!

Well what do you know, when you feed a man well?? Welcome to the land of the living, my laddie.

If i understand you i would feel better at around 85 bpm.. i will go on and see if i can reach this whitout thyroid supplementation.

Like I said if my pulse is as low as 75, I start to notice it. If my pulse is at 85, I am buzzing working at my optimal. On my feet constantly, going. I had to cut coffee out because it was like being on speed and I have reduced my fruit and sugar. It freaks my husband and kids and my mother out :) They get exhausted just listening to me. Yeap, they definitely, know when mamma's back in charge - they hate it.

Measure again 30 minutes after breakfast and see if temp comes down. If it does then you will know that the stress hormones were at play. Also check if pulse comes down or up 30 minutes after eating.

Don't consider thyroid hormones until you have sufficiently optimised your energy needs. Once you get your pulse and temps right then look at testing thyroid hormones and see if the changes have improved your labs.

Last edited:

Marcus1000

Are you still enjoying exercise/do you crave it? Or do you see it more of a means to an end/duty/chore?

Mito

That's pretty interesting, but I wonder if that's significant. Do you know why it would be lower; does it just average the heart rate?
"Fitbit Charge HR calculates your resting heart rate by measuring your heart rate when it detects sleep, and by measuring it throughout the day while you are awake but inactive (no steps detected). If you don't wear your trackers to bed, it will only be able to measure awake but inactive periods during the day. In that case you may find that your RHR is reported a little higher than it would be otherwise. I also recommend for the most accurate RHR to wear the trackers while you sleep."

I also wonder if it's significant. I read about many forum members talk about their resting heart rates being in the 80's or higher. Like I said many times during the day, I will see my heartrate (the live Fitbit heart rate not the calculated resting one) in the 70's or 80's after just sitting for 15 minutes or more. But my Fitbit still reports mid 60's for resting heart rate. I'm wondering if a more accurate resting heart rate is the time just before you fall asleep (but not sleeping) like the Fitbit does it.

DaveFoster

Oh you just use one of those? that does hr readings right? I thought they just did blood pressure.
They do both; it's helpful to know if there's a high heart rate with hypertension, or normal blood pressure just with tachycardia.

DaveFoster

"Fitbit Charge HR calculates your resting heart rate by measuring your heart rate when it detects sleep, and by measuring it throughout the day while you are awake but inactive (no steps detected). If you don't wear your trackers to bed, it will only be able to measure awake but inactive periods during the day. In that case you may find that your RHR is reported a little higher than it would be otherwise. I also recommend for the most accurate RHR to wear the trackers while you sleep."

I also wonder if it's significant. I read about many forum members talk about their resting heart rates being in the 80's or higher. Like I said many times during the day, I will see my heartrate (the live Fitbit heart rate not the calculated resting one) in the 70's or 80's after just sitting for 15 minutes or more. But my Fitbit still reports mid 60's for resting heart rate. I'm wondering if a more accurate resting heart rate is the time just before you fall asleep (but not sleeping) like the Fitbit does it.
Peat mentioned recently about sympathetic activation upon standing and walking.

Around 60 BPM for me.

Also low blood pressure.

My vision used to go black when I stood up too fast.

Orthostatic hypotension.

HLP

Okay, just sitting here drinking strong coffee loaded with condensed milk. Interestingly my T3 was too high a few months ago and my T4 was too low and my pulse still hung around the 60BPM. This is an improvement from years of pulse below 50 and low blood pressure. I've seen enough improvement since last fall to keep going with this. I also workout but only strength and muscle toning exercise as opposed to cardio. 3x's 20 minute workouts per week, never creating hyperventilation. Any ideas about Coke and Pepsi in Canada? All I can find is Coke Life and Pepsi Next with real sugar.

OP
thms

thms

Heart Rate is now Around 60 cutting back on Excersize..

I have gained a great amount of fat while switching to a high sugar diet (4kgs)

Is this normaal ????

OP
thms

thms

Still eating potatoes and drinking milk btw

Can this lead to weightgain?

HLP

Most people gain after following a very low carb protocol and then switching back to higher carb intake. Ketosis really messed me up royally. I've got my pulse up to 77 bpm after one coffee with condensed milk this morning. Try to focus on recovering your health and that doesn't always translate in to being at your ideal weight to begin with. I'd keep doing some body weight workouts to maintain good muscle tone, just ditch the cardio. I also use TRX suspension straps with great success. I also found drinking milk to be a little too much liquid unless your adding quite a bit of sugar, to keep your pulse up. Whatever you are doing with fluid intake, make sure it doesn't cause you to pee more than once every three hours at least. Are you able to sleep solid through the night?

Last edited:

HLP

I'd get a baseline for thyroid levels if you're thinking of taking either thyroid glandular or the synthetic version. of both T3 and T4. If you can't get yourself warmed up, energized and motivated with just diet change....don't waste a lot of time waiting for improvements. Interestingly my thyroid labs did increase with diet change and I had to reduce my glandular dose.

EIRE24

Heart Rate is now Around 60 cutting back on Excersize..

I have gained a great amount of fat while switching to a high sugar diet (4kgs)

Is this normaal ????
I think that if you are eating lots of sugar with a lot of fat then yes suspect some weight gain. High sugar diet with very little fat and you should lose weight. I'm not saying this is healthy

Ella

Forum Supporter
Don't forget as you increase glycogen stores weight will increase too. I don't know how this translates on your scales. I think if your % lean muscle mass is stable then you should be fine. If you have been hypometabolic, you may have accumulated excess estrogen and this will make you retain more fluid in cells and tissues.

If you are eating adequate good quality protein along with carrot, bamboo and mushroom fibre you will be able to process hormones and fatty acids efficiently taking them out of the system.

OP
thms

thms

I think that if you are eating lots of sugar with a lot of fat then yes suspect some weight gain. High sugar diet with very little fat and you should lose weight. I'm not saying this is healthy

How Little ?

Can people confirm that high sugar low fat Leads to weightloss?????

Steve

Hello ALl,

I have a resting heart rate of around 48 bpm..

is this (too) low for a normal energylevel and metabolism?

my hands and feet are also freezing cold during the day.

what would be normal ranges for temp and heartrate?

any tips are welcome thank you
I have this problem too. The lowest heart rate for me is 48-52 upon waking.
Then it may be anywhere from 58 to 73 throughout the day.
58 is definitely not ok for me in the middle of the day.
I usually feel better if I do some exercise that gets it going like biking or lifting weights, but that's not a long-term solution.

I was never like this until I had a thyroid problem, & now I don't know how to get back to normal.
I've tried up to 3 grains of NDT, & it had absolutely no effect on my temp & pulse other than giving me a skipped beat every now & then.
People say eat more to get your metabolism going, but I have a hard time believing that won't just lead to fat gain.
Eating more & staying lean is like the search for the mythical unicorn.
I'm so desperate to get things going I feel like I should just start snorting some cocaine. (Just joking).
Hopefully you figure this out, and then you can let me know. :)

Ella

Forum Supporter
I've tried up to 3 grains of NDT, & it had absolutely no effect on my temp & pulse other than giving me a skipped beat every now & then.

Yes, just throwing thyroid hormone in when your body is trying to slow things down is never going to be the solution. You need to look at why you are in this state to begin with. What lifestyle factors need to be changed. This one is a big one because many people are not willing to change anything that they are currently doing. It is only when they have one foot in the grave, or a serious illness that they are forced to change. I know this because I learnt the hard way to listen to my body.

Eating more & staying lean is like the search for the mythical unicorn.

You need to eat more of the pro-metabolic foods and remove those foods that keep you in a low metabolic state. I too thought it would be impossible for me to lose weight. I lost so much weight that it scared the ***t out me. I strategically reintroduced the "non-peaty" foods to stop losing weight and overwhelming my system with FFAs and other toxins released from adipose tissue.

In the beginning, I did put on weight and yes people made fun of me thinking that I could lose weight by eating sugar and drinking milk. At some point as my energy came up a switch was flicked and I started losing. I was shocked to find out how easy the weight was coming off.

I'm so desperate to get things going I feel like I should just start snorting some cocaine. (Just joking).

It is much easier for young blokes to lose weight than estrogen-laden postmenopausal women like me. You need to stick with the program and try to increase your knowledge of the physiology and hormonal milieu involved to change things. Food is a big component but equally important are lifestyle factors.

Another reason I decided to slow things down was that I felt Iike I was on speed most of the time. So there is no need for cocaine because it will mess with obtaining the higher consciousness required to get us out of the mess we find ourselves in.

My journey has done my head in many many times and it is only when we give the problem adequate head space, that solutions appear. The journey is only for the brave at heart.

If 4kg is really doing your head in then you need to get rid of silly notions.