Why Does Starch Increase My Resting Heart Rate So Much?

Vileplume

10 years of excessive cardio and a year of carnivore/fasting have left me with a low resting heart rate, often dipping into the high 30s when I sleep (my health app sends me emergency heart rate notifications). I reintroduced carbs about 6 weeks ago, and since then have struggled to increase my Apple Watch-derived “Resting Heart Rate,” which I find in the health app on my iPhone. For the past 6 weeks, my Apple resting heart rate hardly budged, hovering around 45 bpm each day. I’d been eating a lot of fruit and orange juice, and had been having digestive problems.

However, just yesterday, I introduced starches into my diet as they are lower fodmap (fructose is a fermentable fodmap). Not only has my digestion improved swapping starch for fruit, but my Apple Watch-measured resting heart rate jumped up into the 60s both nights. How could this rapid jump in heart rate have occurred so quickly? I’ve been feeling fine, just extra thirsty. Confused on if I should view this quick RHR jump as a good thing. It’s still low when I wake up, but jumps up much higher during the day now that I’m consuming more starch.

Hans

Forum Supporter
10 years of excessive cardio and a year of carnivore/fasting have left me with a low resting heart rate, often dipping into the high 30s when I sleep (my health app sends me emergency heart rate notifications). I reintroduced carbs about 6 weeks ago, and since then have struggled to increase my Apple Watch-derived “Resting Heart Rate,” which I find in the health app on my iPhone. For the past 6 weeks, my Apple resting heart rate hardly budged, hovering around 45 bpm each day. I’d been eating a lot of fruit and orange juice, and had been having digestive problems.

However, just yesterday, I introduced starches into my diet as they are lower fodmap (fructose is a fermentable fodmap). Not only has my digestion improved swapping starch for fruit, but my Apple Watch-measured resting heart rate jumped up into the 60s both nights. How could this rapid jump in heart rate have occurred so quickly? I’ve been feeling fine, just extra thirsty. Confused on if I should view this quick RHR jump as a good thing. It’s still low when I wake up, but jumps up much higher during the day now that I’m consuming more starch.
Starches increase the activity of the sympathetic nervous system. Parasympathetic dominance slows the heart rate. Insulin speeds up heart rate. Fruit is much less insulinogenic than starches, which could explain the difference.

Last edited:

Michael Mohn

Starches go straight to the muscles plus by raising insulin promoting glucose uptake. Fructose goes first to the liver converts to glycogen which is released to stabilise blood glucose. If the liver is impaired this can be a bottleneck for energy supply. Fruit with starches is probably best.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Starches increase the activity of the sympathetic nervous system. Parasympathetic dominance slows the heart rate. Insulin speeds up heart rate. Fruit is much less insulinogenic than starches, which could explain the difference.

As I look through some of Peat's articles addressing the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems, I'm becoming confused about what these things imply for the overall state of my body, and realizing that an insulin-induced sympathetic state might be inflammatory, with increased adrenalin. Peat wrote,
When nutrition and thyroid function, light, atmospheric pressure, and other conditions are favorable, the autonomic transmitters (e.g., acetylcholine, histamine, serotonin, adrenalin) and pituitary hormones and other “signal substances” are kept within safe limits.

Because the substances released from various cells under the influence of the autonomic nerves (histamine and serotonin, for example) stimulate cell division, injuries which produce clots and vascular spasms will also stimulate the formation of new blood vessels, a process that is essential for the adaptation of tissues to prolonged stress.

These stress-induced agents are appropriately included in the “vegetative” (parasympathetic) nervous system, because they promote vegetation, i.e., the proliferation of substance.

Adrenaline, and the sympathetic nerves, have the opposite function, of restraining cell division, and they also oppose the pro-inflammatory functions of those parasympathetic agents.

which seems to be saying that adrenalin is a sympathetic nerve. So that would imply that my heart rate is climbing right now with starch because my starch eating is inducing an insulin and adrenalin spike--I am surely oversimplifying that, so please clarify anything I'm missing, but this does not seem like a healthy way to raise RHR. I thought that a higher resting heart rate was indicative of higher thyroid function, but in this case it seems that my starch/adrenalin-induced higher RHR might be a negative.

I guess I’m wondering if increased heart rate is necessarily a good thing, even if insulin-induced.

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Starches go straight to the muscles plus by raising insulin promoting glucose uptake. Fructose goes first to the liver converts to glycogen which is released to stabilise blood glucose. If the liver is impaired this can be a bottleneck for energy supply. Fruit with starches is probably best.

I am starting to realize that too many starches all at once, with all the insulin released, will shoot up blood sugar and over time act as a chronic stress on the body. I'm in a tough spot because my body seems to digest starches much more easily than fruits, which cause bloating and constipation, but I cannot continue repeatedly spiking insulin in this way. Not only will it cause weight gain, but it can lead to other issues, like Peat writes here:

A repeated small stress, or overstimulation of insulin secretion, gradually tends to become amplified by the effects of tryptophan and the polyunsaturated fatty acids, with these fats increasing the formation of serotonin, and serotonin increasing the liberation of the fats.

I'm keeping PUFAs low, but I do eat a good amount of meat for protein because my body seems to have trouble digesting dairy (as well as fructose). All that tryptophan and insulin sound like a nasty combo. I hope in time that I will be able to digest fructose better, because the increased heart rate I'm seeing now does not seem like the kind of heart rate increase I want. The more I read, the more this starch-induced higher heart rate seems reflective of increased adrenalin rather than improved thyroid function.

Hans

Forum Supporter
As I look through some of Peat's articles addressing the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems, I'm becoming confused about what these things imply for the overall state of my body, and realizing that an insulin-induced sympathetic state might be inflammatory, with increased adrenalin. Peat wrote,

which seems to be saying that adrenalin is a sympathetic nerve. So that would imply that my heart rate is climbing right now with starch because my starch eating is inducing an insulin and adrenalin spike--I am surely oversimplifying that, so please clarify anything I'm missing, but this does not seem like a healthy way to raise RHR. I thought that a higher resting heart rate was indicative of higher thyroid function, but in this case it seems that my starch/adrenalin-induced higher RHR might be a negative.
Peat said "Adrenaline, and the sympathetic nerves, have the opposite function, of restraining cell division, and they also oppose the pro-inflammatory functions of those parasympathetic agents." So it's actually anti-inflammatory and the parasympathetic state is inflammatory.

I should add that blocking the cholinergic system can also increase thirst.

I cannot continue repeatedly spiking insulin in this way. Not only will it cause weight gain, but it can lead to other issues
Insulin is not fattening. Excess calories are. Research has shown that a high carb or low carb diet both lead to relatively the same amount of fat loss under the same deficit, despite having a massive difference in insulin levels.
Overstimulation of insulin is bad, and that's promoted by excess acetylcholine.
Adrenaline is also not bad in the right context. Noradrenaline works synergistically with thyroid to promote heat and energy production.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Peat said "Adrenaline, and the sympathetic nerves, have the opposite function, of restraining cell division, and they also oppose the pro-inflammatory functions of those parasympathetic agents." So it's actually anti-inflammatory and the parasympathetic state is inflammatory.

I should add that blocking the cholinergic system can also increase thirst.

Insulin is not fattening. Excess calories are. Research has shown that a high carb or low carb diet both lead to relatively the same amount of fat loss under the same deficit, despite having a massive difference in insulin levels.
Adrenaline is also not bad in the right context. Noradrenaline works synergistically with thyroid to promote heat and energy production.

thanks for this information and clarification. I’m having a hard time telling what’s more beneficial between the lower insulin stimulation of fruits vs. the easier digestibility of starches.

I’m thinking that it could be possible to use starches to improve my overall thyroid function (as indicated by temps and RHR), and then eventually work in more fruits and hopefully dairy someday. Does this plan sound feasible, or would chronic insulin stimulation be a detrimental factor?

Hans

Forum Supporter
thanks for this information and clarification. I’m having a hard time telling what’s more beneficial between the lower insulin stimulation of fruits vs. the easier digestibility of starches.

I’m thinking that it could be possible to use starches to improve my overall thyroid function (as indicated by temps and RHR), and then eventually work in more fruits and hopefully dairy someday. Does this plan sound feasible, or would chronic insulin stimulation be a detrimental factor?
Chronic insulin stimulation is a non-issue, except if its its chronically elevated due to hyperglycemia as a result of the stress hormones.
Yes what you mention is a good idea. Continue starch dominant and over time incorporate more fruits/syrups, etc., if you crave them.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Chronic insulin stimulation is a non-issue, except if its its chronically elevated due to hyperglycemia as a result of the stress hormones.
Yes what you mention is a good idea. Continue starch dominant and over time incorporate more fruits/syrups, etc., if you crave them.

Thank you--you've been a great help.

Michael Mohn

Insulin is a good hormone opposing adrenaline and is very anabolic, competitive bodybuilder inject this stuff to draw the nutrients into tissues. Don't be affraid of insulin. Make sure you have enough potassium in your diet. Thiamine, coffein and salt are helpful too. Some light physical excerise around the time of your meal lowers blood glucose level.

tara

I guess I’m wondering if increased heart rate is necessarily a good thing, even if insulin-induced.
You could measure body temps too.
Increased heart rate can indicate increased oxygen use and energy production. It can happen with improved thyroid function, elevated stress hormones, and/or other factors (eg maybe improved food supply). Insulin helps get glucose into cells so they can use it to produce energy. An increase from 30bpm to 60bpm on the face of it looks like it might be an improvement, especially if you sleep and better and have more energy. Are eating more calories when you eat starch? That could make a difference. Do you have more useful energy, or more restorative sleep? If your body temps have increased you might need more fluids?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

You could measure body temps too.
Increased heart rate can indicate increased oxygen use and energy production. It can happen with improved thyroid function, elevated stress hormones, and/or other factors (eg maybe improved food supply). Insulin helps get glucose into cells so they can use it to produce energy. An increase from 30bpm to 60bpm on the face of it looks like it might be an improvement, especially if you sleep and better and have more energy. Are eating more calories when you eat starch? That could make a difference. Do you have more useful energy, or more restorative sleep? If your body temps have increased you might need more fluids?

Thank you! I take my temps too, and it seems that starches send my temps soaring--just now a meal of lamb and potatoes increased my temp from 96.8 to 98.6. With the higher temps, I definitely notice better mood and more productive energy. My sleep has been better lately, but I still need to have something sweet before bed and when I wake up in the early morning so I can get back to sleep.

I wish I could include more fruits and honey for their fructose, but at the moment too much fructose causes my IBS to flare up bad. Hopefully over time, as my temps and energy production ramp up, my digestion will improve and I'll be able to tolerate more fructose. I appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Insulin is a good hormone opposing adrenaline and is very anabolic, competitive bodybuilder inject this stuff to draw the nutrients into tissues. Don't be affraid of insulin. Make sure you have enough potassium in your diet. Thiamine, coffein and salt are helpful too. Some light physical excerise around the time of your meal lowers blood glucose level.

Thank you for this info about insulin! That does make me feel better, as in the past I viewed insulin's role too simplistically and began to fear it... hence the year of fasting, keto, and carnivore. *sigh* still recovering from that

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thank you for this info about insulin! That does make me feel better, as in the past I viewed insulin's role too simplistically and began to fear it... hence the year of fasting, keto, and carnivore. *sigh* still recovering from that
If you're interested, I wrote an article about insulin and blood sugar if you want to check it out: Insulin: the wrongly accused hormone » MenElite

orewashin

How do you respond to bananas? They have starches that turn into sugars as they ripen. I get gassy from unripe bananas and prefer the sweet taste of ripe ones.

Olmec

Does anyone know potential ways to mitigate excessive insulin & cholinergic activity?
— Aside from reducing dietary factors that promote acetylcholine production/activity, and using anti-cholinergics and anti-histamines re:
Histamine can also promote the release of acetylcholine.

Last edited: